What is the big deal about a nation being "sovereign"

D

Dayton3

You keep hearing this from Iraq War critics.

"The U.S. invaded a sovereign nation"

What is the big deal about that?

Almost any war fought by definition is between "sovereign" nations.

(and I hope I'm spelling sovereign right being half asleep right now).

What is the big deal about a nation having a UN seat and foreign embassies in its capital?

Who gives a damn.

S

Sparta

Well I would hope everyone gives a damn. The point of sovereignty is to have exclusive right to self governance.

D

Dayton3

Well I would hope everyone gives a damn. The point of sovereignty is to have exclusive right to self governance.
So how does that make it a big deal to invade a "sovereign" state?

and does a right to self governance extend to a right to horrendous levels of oppression against the people within your own borders.

I think not.

S

Sparta

and does a right to self governance extend to a right to horrendous levels of oppression against the people within your own borders.

I think not.
Your question was about sovereignty, not about when it would be acceptable to invade a sovereign nation. I suppose it would upset you if Canada decided to invade the US because it fails to provide health care for it's citizens. At what point does the value system of one nation trump the values of another? When we say so?

Z

Zarathustra

I think not.
Denial of the Holocaust in France is a crime.

Is France oppressing it's people by infringing on their freedom of speech? Should we invade them to make them stop the oppression?

D

Dayton3

Denial of the Holocaust in France is a crime.

Is France oppressing it's people by infringing on their freedom of speech? Should we invade them to make them stop the oppression?
I was thinking more along the lines of

"deliberate state sponsored large scale mass murder" when I refer to oppression.

S

Sparta

I was thinking more along the lines of

"deliberate state sponsored large scale mass murder" when I refer to oppression.
Does that theory apply when one country does it to another country, or only when one country does it to itself?

Question 2, does that theory apply when discussing every country, or only countries of stragiegic importance?

And finally, at what point to we draw the line between deliberate state sponsored large scale mass murder and acceptable loss?

L

lakeman

You keep hearing this from Iraq War critics.

"The U.S. invaded a sovereign nation"

What is the big deal about that?

Almost any war fought by definition is between "sovereign" nations.

(and I hope I'm spelling sovereign right being half asleep right now).

What is the big deal about a nation having a UN seat and foreign embassies in its capital?

Who gives a damn.
On the bright side: as long as the lefties value Iraq's sovereignty then the US's sovereignty should have some value too. Right?

M

Morpheus

I'm not sure if this has already been said, but I think sovereignty just refers to a state/nation not being anyone's protectorate or colony (in another words a state doesn't have any kind of obligation or responsibility to any other state)... If I'm not mistaken anytime a sovereign state is invaded it's a violation of international law, unless in retaliation to an attack...