What is the carrying capacity of planet Earth?

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
How many humans can the Earth sustain? That would seem to me an important question, given the likely results of the human race exceeding that number.

One estimate is about 9 to 10 billion, which is't too far off from what we have today:

source

There are a lot of variables, of courses. The Earth can no doubt sustain more bicycle riding vegetarians than car driving carnivores, for example, and then there is the unknown of improved technology.
Personally, I think we are just about there. You cannot travel to any appealing cities, sites or other tourist attractions anymore. They are so overwhelmed that you can't appreciate or enjoy them. And, climate change. We are losing the ability to feed ourselves. Potable water is already a huge problem for much of the planet. Trash, we a burying ourselves in our consumption.

Jan 2007
Personally, I think we are just about there. You cannot travel to any appealing cities, sites or other tourist attractions anymore. They are so overwhelmed that you can't appreciate or enjoy them. And, climate change. We are losing the ability to feed ourselves. Potable water is already a huge problem for much of the planet. Trash, we a burying ourselves in our consumption.
Apparently the USA likes that policy based on our population growth......immigration.

Jan 2007
^^^^ One-trick pony, with a one-track mind. ^^^^
Facts are troubling to some. You are moaning about stresses on the earth due to population yet somehow it's fine to do it to the the very country you live in. Blind to what's right in front of you. Or is it the democrat politics of it all? A conveyor belt of endless poverty .

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
What quality of life? That also needs to be asked of the USA. Why more bodies ? This next census will be interesting. IN 1960 we had 180 million. In 2000 we had 282 million. In 19 years another 50 million. This is insanity IMMIGRATION.
immigration does not increase the population of planet Earth.

Reactions: BigLeRoy