What is the right rate for federal taxes?

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Oh yes, they do. The democratic party suggests that we can pay for our finances by just focusing on the rich all the time.

And I never said anyone suggested we put a 100% tax rate on them. What the hell are you talking about?

Please read my comments more carefully if you are intent on replying to them.
The fact is, the wealthy are not paying their fair share especially considering they utilize our infrastructure way more than the average person does. It would be illogical to tax the poor. You can't get blood from a turnip. And taxing the middle class more is never going to fund the government properly. They physically cannot do it. So who else would we turn to but the wealthy?

Jan 2014
south
Which is the primary reason I supported Trump.

Rebuilding our domestic manufacturing base by reforming these trade policies and increasing our domestic growth is really the only viable plan I can see going into the future - because massive taxation (including on the Middle Class) or a dramatic decrease in Government Services just aren't politically viable solutions. Neither party is going to endorse or allow such a platform to move forward because it would mean their ruin and the ascension of their rival.

So we better hope Trump is able to achieve the kind of sustained economic growth he wants - for our nation's sake.
it's very simple. tax cuts lower revenue and increase debt. as debt increases, the interest on that debt further decreases available revenue. increases in revenue for defense even further decrease available revenue. that's kinda it in a nutshell.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Which is the primary reason I supported Trump.

Rebuilding our domestic manufacturing base by reforming these trade policies and increasing our domestic growth is really the only viable plan I can see going into the future - because massive taxation (including on the Middle Class) or a dramatic decrease in Government Services just aren't politically viable solutions. Neither party is going to endorse or allow such a platform to move forward because it would mean their ruin and the ascension of their rival.

So we better hope Trump is able to achieve the kind of sustained economic growth he wants - for our nation's sake.
You actually believed that man would be capable of competently reforming our trade policies?! Contrary all evidence?! He couldn't negotiate his way out of a wet paper bag!

Nov 2014
North Carolina
it's very simple. tax cuts lower revenue and increase debt. as debt increases, the interest on that debt further decreases available revenue. increases in revenue for defense even further decrease available revenue. that's kinda it in a nutshell.
It's not that simple. JFK, Reagen, G.W. Bush all signed tax cuts and the amount of money coming into the federal treasury increased afterwards. There is a reasonable argument to be made they can encourage growth. But spending always increases as well.

But I believe trade reform will have a greater impact. That's where my focus is. Either way - we aren't going to tax our way out of this problem. LIke I said - neither party is going to ever support the kind of massive tax increases that would be required to pay for our finances due to political concerns.

So taxation is a non issue and just a tool for political pandering in the current political environment. It can't be thought of as a realistic solution so long as partisans run our government.

Last edited:
Nov 2014
North Carolina
You actually believed that man would be capable of competently reforming our trade policies?! Contrary all evidence?! He couldn't negotiate his way out of a wet paper bag!
Well considering economic growth has gone up under his watch, I'd say the evidence is there despite your personal feelings.

Jun 2014
United States
Our revenue is at record levels. We need to cut spending.
That would be fine, if you're also willing to cut the US population back to what it was in olden times.
It's a logical fallacy on your part to assume that debt must be proportional to population.

I never said nor implied that debt must be proportional to population. We were discussing spending. You are being dishonest and disingenuous -- as usual.

Jan 2014
south
Well considering economic growth has gone up under his watch, I'd say the evidence is there despite your personal feelings.
yet corporate/business tax contributions to federal revenue have gone from 9% to 7% under the new tax codes. besides, import duties have never been (and still aren't) much of an asset to revenues.

Nov 2014
North Carolina
yet corporate/business tax contributions to federal revenue have gone from 9% to 7% under the new tax codes. besides, import duties have never been (and still aren't) much of an asset to revenues.
Not according to my information.

Revenue has gone up each year of the Trump administration.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2KLfSR9pptbPnEAy1NXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyY20yazFsBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM0BHZ0aWQDQjQ4NTNfMQRzZWMDc3I-/RV=2/RE=1536956158/RO=10/RU=https://www.thebalance.com/current-u-s-federal-government-tax-revenue-3305762/RK=2/RS=X2dX_qdHsFWuZTaX45yOgtNOVXA-

Either way, neither party is going to support a tax policy that will effectively address our financial straits. Massive sustained growth is the only realistic solution regardless of how many percents the democrats want to raise taxes on the rich. That is not going to solve our financial problems - nor is raising the age on social security benefits - which even that modest reform would likely spell political doom for the Republicans.

Last edited:
Jan 2014
south
Not according to my information.

Revenue has gone up each year of the Trump administration.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2KLfSR9pptbPnEAy1NXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyY20yazFsBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM0BHZ0aWQDQjQ4NTNfMQRzZWMDc3I-/RV=2/RE=1536956158/RO=10/RU=https://www.thebalance.com/current-u-s-federal-government-tax-revenue-3305762/RK=2/RS=X2dX_qdHsFWuZTaX45yOgtNOVXA-

Either way, neither party is going to support a tax policy that will effectively address our financial straits. Massive sustaiedn growth is the only realistic solution.
and where did that revenue come from?

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
The full effects have not yet materialized, but many people are being adversely affected.

In any war, it pays to look not only at intended targets but also any collateral damage. So far, a review of corporate earnings results and conference-call transcripts suggests there are many times the number of large global companies being hurt by U.S. President Donald Trump’s trade war as there are being helped.
Terms of Service Violation