What is wrong with "slut shaming"?

Nov 2014
North Carolina
It is unavoidable.

In any case, as to the OP, the whole concept of social shaming is nothing more than an excuse to treat badly people of whom you disapprove, seeking the approbation of the larger society in doing so. In other words, some people want to be assholes to people they do not like, and are angry that this is no longer socially acceptable.
Yeah, I tend to agree. While running around having unprotected sex with multiple partners is a bad idea and people need to be educated as to the risks of that kind of behavior - more often than not the concept of social shaming has been used as a cudgel for bigotry.

Reactions: Ian Jeffrey
Apr 2014
Maryland
Yeah, I tend to agree. While running around having unprotected sex with multiple partners is a bad idea and people need to be educated as to the risks of that kind of behavior - more often than not the concept of social shaming has been used as a cudgel for bigotry.
But it was only for women!
I thought sex education for 15 years and it should be required in every school

Nov 2013
NY
For the 6th time, if there are no kids the adults can make whatever poor decisions they want. If there's abuse that is an exception that I'm not discussing.

However, when there are kids, the damage caused by divorce is far far greater than the discomfort of the parents sticking together. So, it becomes more important to stick together for the sake of the children than their individual happiness as parents.

The funny thing, you're not even trying to deny the facts and stats, you are just desperate to keep the divorces flowing with all the damage it causes.
I can see how your childhood can have been painful for you... and maybe you should have hd a few more happy days. But you’re a grown up now, stop moping, and make something out of your life for yourself. You seem able bodied and alive, so your parents have done their job.

Oct 2019
Earth
I can see how your childhood can have been painful for you... and maybe you should have hd a few more happy days. But you’re a grown up now, stop moping, and make something out of your life for yourself. You seem able bodied and alive, so your parents have done their job.
You would be wrong.

Some of us are not so self-absorbed to consider all facts in how they reflect on ourselves, but rather how the facts and data impact on the largest grouping.

The reason slutty behavior should be shamed is because of the societal issues that stem from it, stats have no meaning on individual cases.

Nov 2007
It is unavoidable.

In any case, as to the OP, the whole concept of social shaming is nothing more than an excuse to treat badly people of whom you disapprove, seeking the approbation of the larger society in doing so. In other words, some people want to be assholes to people they do not like, and are angry that this is no longer socially acceptable.
Nothing wrong with that. People on this discussion board are routinely assholes to people they do not like or disagree with.

In this very thread in fact.

Apr 2014
Maryland
You would be wrong.

Some of us are not so self-absorbed to consider all facts in how they reflect on ourselves, but rather how the facts and data impact on the largest grouping.

The reason slutty behavior should be shamed is because of the societal issues that stem from it, stats have no meaning on individual cases.
We only shame women and that just perpetuates your sexism.

Oct 2019
Earth
We only shame women and that just perpetuates your sexism.
Should be more equal; unfaithful men are an equal part in damaging results on society.

It's not my sexism, women have the greater imperative to withhold sex. Women are the gatekeepers to sex, don't believe it, when a woman says no to sex not obliging is called rape.

Where men get shamed is by not paying on their obligations, they are thought of as dead beats.

Simplifying things down to "that's sexist" is childish and does nothing to counter the argument about shaming irresponsible behavior.

Reactions: Dayton3
Apr 2014
Maryland
Should be more equal; unfaithful men are an equal part in damaging results on society.

It's not my sexism, women have the greater imperative to withhold sex. Women are the gatekeepers to sex, don't believe it, when a woman says no to sex not obliging is called rape.

Where men get shamed is by not paying on their obligations, they are thought of as dead beats.

Simplifying things down to "that's sexist" is childish and does nothing to counter the argument about shaming irresponsible behavior.
we are not asking about being unfaithful, but often men get a pass at that too. (Boys will be boys)

Nov 2007
we are not asking about being unfaithful, but often men get a pass at that too. (Boys will be boys)
I have nothing but disgust for such men (yeah that includes Donald Trump).

Actually I have nothing but disgust for any man who subordinates everything or most everything to the pursuit of sex.