What is wrong with Trump?

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Hehe.

If you step back and look at the big picture, it all makes sense. For years now, Fox News and other right-wing media sources have been perfecting the same variety of propaganda technique. Basically, it involves frightening bitter, poorly informed old folks, by hyping the threat of street violence from racial minorities and immigrants, terrorism, and various infringements on the traditional privileges and prerogatives of straight, white, Christian middle Americans. This technique was highly successful because they focused on a class of mentally impaired TV viewers -- under-educated older people slipping slowly into dementia. But that crowd was never quite satisfied with their political leaders, because although they pandered shameless to the frightened-old-white-moron crowd, they were not generally natives of that culture. Someone like McCain, Romney, or even Bush was merely putting on a show for them, and deep down they knew it.... especially at times when they did things like backing humane immigration reform. It was just a matter of time before a native of their set ran for office, with enough money and name recognition to make it past the gatekeepers of the nomination process. Only then, with a genuinely mentally impaired president, could the marching morons of the conservative masses finally have a president who acts the way they want.
Arkady, you really need to read the book by John Fea,” Believe Me, the Evangelical Road To Donald Trump.”

John is an Evangelical who could not beileve what he was seeing. He went to Church the next Sunday, looked around and knew that 80% of those around me..

I have heard these words over and over from friends, life long Christians. Professionals who left Church, never to return.

Many churches experienced huge losses. Some are trying to turn the movement around.

Jul 2014
midwest
What's a "whiney thread"?

Methinks not. When the most powerful man in the world is declining into senility, that's worthy of ongoing attention by those of us who are patriots. Obviously, there are those who would like it if we allowed ourselves to be distracted from that grave danger by some other shiny object (ooh, look, there are some poor folks in a caravan a thousand miles south of our border!), but why should we accommodate that?
A thread with an abundance of whining.

We have a few of those on this subject recently.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
I often wonder if Trump behaves so outlandish because he knows it will put him in the history books? Bland and boring presidents dont often make big news. This way Trump will go down as more than just a paragraph in history. I still remember him back in the 90s when there was controversy over his female companions. He said "news is all news whether its bad or good."
Trump does not think that far ahead. He is incapable of thinking beyond the minute something spews out of his mouth.

Jul 2014
midwest
I just dont know if we should be attributing this to age. If we do that eventually somebody is going to say "we cant trust anyone over 70" or something like that. Anyone that had known about Trump knew he has always been this way. When the "Apprentice" first premiered almost 20 years ago, he went on this incoherent rant. People thought he was drunk. He also often went on Howard Stern and did tabloid stories that were off the wall. When the Central park 5 story came out, he was full blown nuts about it. Ranted and raved. This is nothing new and I dont like the idea he has dementia or something else, he is Trump being Trump. Its just that he has more attention now nationwide.
True and I think he enjoys this...

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
Arkady, you really need to read the book by John Fea,” Believe Me, the Evangelical Road To Donald Trump.”

John is an Evangelical who could not beileve what he was seeing. He went to Church the next Sunday, looked around and knew that 80% of those around me..

I have heard these words over and over from friends, life long Christians. Professionals who left Church, never to return.

Many churches experienced huge losses. Some are trying to turn the movement around.
It's got to really hurt for the handful of evangelicals who were sincere in their faith. I suppose it's akin to how devout Muslims must feel when they witness their co-religionists supporting things they consider deeply antithetical to the teachings of Islam, like terrorist attacks.

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
On the bright side, it's driving youse guys crazy...
Not really. You don't know what's going to happen either and it's stressing you out too. Trump cares about Trump. If you can torture yourself enough the align with him Trump is fine with that, if you can't, he'll mock and ridicule you too. Its eroding support from independents. Democrats and anti Trump people just need to get to the new congress. Then the heat goes up. That'll be fun. Can the stock market stay high into 2020 elections?