What Minimum-Wage Foes Got Wrong About Seattle

Apr 2018
Northern end of Lake Erie
Ever heard the statement "A rising tide lifts all boats"?

The raise is for any minimum wage job, not just burger flippers.

Honestly, I really don't see what some of you have against fairer wages, I guess you'd rather be broke too than see anyone else get a fair shake.

Electricians made twice the wage I did as a tech, I didn't think it was fair, but I didn't believe that lowering their wage was going to improve my situation...

Thx :)
It is NOT the government's fucking job to dictate to the private sector how much someone is worth! Geez louise minimum wage is NOT meant to live off of.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
It is NOT the government's fucking job to dictate to the private sector how much someone is worth! Geez louise minimum wage is NOT meant to live off of.
The "governments job" is whatever the people want it to be. Minimum wage is the law and is always going to be the law, so suck it up, buttercup.

Dec 2018
Florida
Then Seattle should be suffering since they committed the ultimate evil of raising their minimum wage according to right wingers...let us check and see. shall we?

Hmm, another bullshit right wing meme shot right in the head, go back and do some more research...
Maybe I missed the link. Can you show me the link about the 220,000 jobs and what those are.

Dec 2018
Florida
The "governments job" is whatever the people want it to be. Minimum wage is the law and is always going to be the law, so suck it up, buttercup.
That is not the job of the government. Not what the founders intended. Nor is it how it is set up. It is designed to protect life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. It isn’t the government’s job to start killing Jews if all of a sudden “the people” decide that. A mob mentality of the people doesn’t change that.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
Done properly, as Seattle has, Raising the minimum wage is is an economic boon.
That's called a post hoc ergo propter hoc assumption, and it isn't even supported by your own link:

Now of course, we should consider the argument that Seattle’s economic growth has been so strong that it overwhelms any negative effects from the higher minimum wage. No one should ignore that possibility and we will be among the first to acknowledge that this could be the case. We may never know for sure, because in economics you don’t get a chance to run control experiments; you only have the facts at hand.​

To his credit the author acknowledges this could go a long way to explain the observations, but no one knows. We do know that Seattle has surged economically over the past 5-10 years.

But have we ever seen a city that is struggling turn a corner by passing a minimum wage law? Chicago's rises to $13 this year. If they push it a little faster to get to $15, will Chicago reap an economic boon from it? What about cities like Detroit, Flint, Cleveland, Toledo, Baltimore, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Hartford, Youngstown, and numerous others?

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
Maybe I missed the link. Can you show me the link about the 220,000 jobs and what those are.
Seattle exemplifies the powerful current of economic vitality that is transforming many of the nation’s largest cities as they connect more deeply to the digital economy and global markets. Over the past decade, Seattle has added 220,000 jobs, an increase of nearly 15 percent. Amazon, which employs 40,000 people here and holds about one-fifth of the city’s premier office space, has keyed that growth, but the revival has spilled far beyond it. Thirty-one Fortune 500 companies now operate research and engineering hubs in Seattle, up from seven in 2010. More construction cranes are working here than in any other U.S. city, many in the South Lake Union area where Amazon has centered its burgeoning operations. Seattle is now adding about 60 people daily, many of them well-educated Millennials. That’s the city’s most rapid rate of population increase since the Klondike Gold Rush around 1900.
How Seattle Is Dealing With Its Rapid Growth and Economic Success - The Atlantic
Sorry, I don't have a nutter link to Gateway Pundit for you....

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
That's called a post hoc ergo propter hoc assumption, and it isn't even supported by your own link:

Now of course, we should consider the argument that Seattle’s economic growth has been so strong that it overwhelms any negative effects from the higher minimum wage. No one should ignore that possibility and we will be among the first to acknowledge that this could be the case. We may never know for sure, because in economics you don’t get a chance to run control experiments; you only have the facts at hand.

To his credit the author acknowledges this could go a long way to explain the observations, but no one knows. We do know that Seattle has surged economically over the past 5-10 years.

But have we ever seen a city that is struggling turn a corner by passing a minimum wage law? Chicago's rises to $13 this year. If they push it a little faster to get to $15, will Chicago reap an economic boon from it? What about cities like Detroit, Flint, Cleveland, Toledo, Baltimore, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Hartford, Youngstown, and numerous others?
Find me an example where lowering wages created an economic boon...

Dec 2018
Florida
The source matters. Sure. But you have to be able to read an analyze the source for what it is too. Like this part:

Seattle is also confronting a homelessness crisis, grinding traffic congestion, and a housing-affordability squeeze that is displacing not only low-income families but also middle-income earners, such as teachers and police officers. Svenja Gudell, chief economist for Zillow, the housing website based here, reports that over the past year, house prices grew faster in Seattle than any other city, and rents increased faster than anywhere except Riverside, California.
And then this was before it:

Over the past decade, Seattle has added 220,000 jobs, an increase of nearly 15 percent. Amazon, which employs 40,000 people here and holds about one-fifth of the city’s premier office space, has keyed that growth, but the revival has spilled far beyond it. Thirty-one Fortune 500 companies now operate research and engineering hubs in Seattle, up from seven in 2010.
So BASICALLY those jobs coming in are corporate jobs. Driving up cost of living and displacing everyone due to cost of living. And if you know much about industry, which you should being from TN, they tend to locate similar jobs near each other. It is economically easier for a tech company to relocate near another tech giant so they can compete for similar resources (people). This is a pretty standard practice you can see with tech, Hollywood, music, manufacturing, and even shipping. Even insurance companies will do it.

It wasn’t the amazing minimum wage that did anything for them. It was having a few big companies coming in and that brought further companies into the orbit. The grunge city is still the grunge city. The people get priced out because of things like rent. Raising minimum wage will only help them as long as their wages can keep up with their crazy cost of living. Sounds to me like the people of Seattle need to get a handle on their overdevelopment. Not their wage.

Reminds of Florida actually. We have that problem due to south Florida.