What National Anthem Controversy? NFL Set Revenue Record In 2017

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nfl-set-revenue-record-despite-national-anthem-controversy-green-bay-packers-financial-disclosures-show/

According to financial information released by the Packers on Monday, the NFLdistributed more than $8 billion in national revenue that was split among the league's 32 teams. The $8.1 billion in revenue meant that each team received roughly $255 million from the league. According to Bloomberg, the $8.1 billion was a revenue-record for the NFL and a total that was slightly up from the league's revenue total of $7.8 billion in 2016.

---

So it looks like it didn't really hurt on the revenue end last year. Remains to be seen if it'll impact the future. A pretty complex issue that can't be defined by the simple minded assertion that kneeling players cost the league millions as has been said around here.

Reactions: 3 people
Jun 2007
Wisconsin
When I saw the first 3 words of the title I thought it was going to be a thread titled, Which National Anthem Would You Kneel To?

Jul 2014
Border Fence
This is the no. 1 money making franchise

Forbes: Cowboys worth $4 billion, now most valuable franchise in sports

Last edited:
Jul 2014
Border Fence
Trump Once Had the Opportunity to Buy the Dallas Cowboys for Dirt Cheap and Called it a "No-Win Situation"
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/07/trump-had-the-opportunity-to-buy-the-dallas-cowboy.html?bcmt=1

I feel sorry for the poor guy who is going to buy the Dallas Cowboys. It’s a no-win situation for him, because if he wins, well, so what, they’ve won through the years, and if he loses, which seems likely because they’re having troubles, he’ll be known to the world as a loser.
Trump bought the NJ Generals instead.

Smooth move

If Trump would have bought the Cowboys [thank you God he didn't], he'd be a real Billionaire/

Reactions: 2 people
Jun 2014
United States
Trump Once Had the Opportunity to Buy the Dallas Cowboys for Dirt Cheap and Called it a "No-Win Situation"
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/07/trump-had-the-opportunity-to-buy-the-dallas-cowboy.html?bcmt=1

Trump bought the NJ Generals instead.

Smooth move

If Trump would have bought the Cowboys [thank you God he didn't], he'd be a real Billionaire/

Had he become an actual billionaire, perhaps he would have never sunk to having to play a businessman in a hackneyed Reality TV show. Had he never become a Reality TV "star", then perhaps he wouldn't have embarked upon a Reality TV presidential candidacy, and the abject stupidity of almost half of the US electorate wouldn't have been so painfully exposed.

I miss the days when the US had plausible deniability that almost half of us are racially bigoted idiots. I had thought that we put that all behind us back in the 1960s.

Jul 2014
Border Fence
Had he become an actual billionaire, perhaps he would have never sunk to having to play a businessman in a hackneyed Reality TV show. Had he never become a Reality TV "star", then perhaps he wouldn't have embarked upon a Reality TV presidential candidacy, and the abject stupidity of almost half of the US electorate wouldn't have been so painfully exposed.

I miss the days when the US had plausible deniability that almost half of us are racially bigoted idiots. I had thought that we put that all behind us back in the 1960s.
If he had become a real billionaire he would not have had to run to Russian oligarchs to fund his ventures and cover his debt.

I guess the Atlantic City mob no longer saw Trump as a safe bet. Plus the Russians had far better rates and a whole lot more money to launder.

Reactions: 1 person
Jan 2016
Colorado
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nfl-set-revenue-record-despite-national-anthem-controversy-green-bay-packers-financial-disclosures-show/

According to financial information released by the Packers on Monday, the NFLdistributed more than $8 billion in national revenue that was split among the league's 32 teams. The $8.1 billion in revenue meant that each team received roughly $255 million from the league. According to Bloomberg, the $8.1 billion was a revenue-record for the NFL and a total that was slightly up from the league's revenue total of $7.8 billion in 2016.

---

So it looks like it didn't really hurt on the revenue end last year. Remains to be seen if it'll impact the future. A pretty complex issue that can't be defined by the simple minded assertion that kneeling players cost the league millions as has been said around here.
LOTS of things are said around here that turn out not to be true.

Just call me Captain Obvious.

Reactions: 1 person

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
I'm almost disgusted that they'll get my money in 2018-2019.