What should we do with the caravan of immigrants headed toward this country from S-Centtral America?

What should we do with the caravan of immigrants headed toward this country from S-Centtral America?

• Let them in

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Stop them at the border

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • other (explain in a post)

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters
Jan 2007
Of course it isn't, but it is the wealthiest, and ostensibly most attractive, society within reach of many South and Central American countries. Why do you think so many refugees risk their lives to get to Australia? There are far more countries in SE Asia and Oceania than in the Americas. But Australia is seen as the prize for much the same reasons you are.

Very few Hondurans, or other asylum seekers, are aware of the relative human rights of prospective asylum - most are primarily concerned with feeding and sheltering their children, not to mention staying alive. And I don't believe anyone here has claimed that the USA has 'intolerable human rights' - however the newspaper concerned was issuing a warning about these potential dangers -

A poster in the Holocaust Museum in New York.
It's not the responsibility of the USA to take on a large portion of the world's misery. All the people that come here will be replaced by another bumper crop of kids born into misery. The cycle continues. What the USA once had will be lost. Host countries better think through what they do. The USA cannot keep up with poverty countries breeding rate.

I suggest you and like minded send as much charity dollars to help those people out.

Jul 2011
UK/Australia
It's not the responsibility of the USA to take on a large portion of the world's misery. All the people that come here will be replaced by another bumper crop of kids born into misery. The cycle continues. What the USA once had will be lost. Host countries better think through what they do. The USA cannot keep up with poverty countries breeding rate.
Please respond to what I wrote, not what you think I intended to write. We were discussing the reasons refugees seek asylum in various first world nations - including your own - not the moral concerns associated with those actions.

I suggest you and like minded send as much charity dollars to help those people out.
That is a puerile personal comment, and not worthy of a poster of your calibre.

Mar 2010
Indiana

I'll bet you go to church every Sunday and sing how Great thou Art. If you do you're wasting your time.

"What you do to the least of my brothers you do to me."

Jul 2015
Maryland USA
Please respond to what I wrote, not what you think I intended to write. We were discussing the reasons refugees seek asylum in various first world nations - including your own - not the moral concerns associated with those actions.
Technically, asylum is requested by those that have entered the country, while refugee status is requested by those not yet in the country. In each case, such request is made due to documented political or religious persecution. Poverty conditions, again technically, is not criteria for such requests.

Regarding the thousands in transit looking for entry, it definitely makes one feel good to say we should take care of them, but the realities must be faced. Currently, our best intended programs only subsidize the poverty that currently exists in this country. They do very little if anything to actually help people out of poverty. Accepting the thousands in transit will only further diminish our ability to care for our current poverty level population.

Obviously, we need to respond prior to their reaching our border. Initially, since our neighbors, Mexico and Canada, want and have free trade agreements with us, perhaps we should have immigration agreements as well. Accordingly, we should determine to what extent our neighbors are willing to help those in transit as well. We should immediately send representatives to those in transit, and advise them of our immigration laws in order for them to conform if they so desire. We should also let them know that their expectations will not be realized, that we do not have the resources to appropriately accommodate them immediately or in the near future. I think it important to let them know that they will not totally be welcomed with open arms.

Last edited:
Jan 2007

That is a puerile personal comment, and not worthy of a poster of your calibre.
There are many including many here on PH that talk as though they have great concerns over the welfare of the Central Americans, to the point of allowing them in year after year. My challenge to them is if they are a concern,, then send your dollars to improve their life. We as a nation are not obligated to throw our doors open to an endless column of third world poverty. Of course people want to live in higher standards, perhaps they should direct their energies to reclaiming their country and making it livable. There are plenty of other countries in the Western hemisphere. Mexico being very close by. WE have allowed in a shit load of mexicans, legal or otherwise, it's time Mexico does the same. It appears Mexico will do nothing except allow them to pass by. Time to strike back with border closure, economic aid ending, terminating immigration, back out of trade deals. Start our own deportations of illegals far and above those trying to get in. This shit is never going to end. They see us as chumps and the democrats will follow along.

Jan 2007
Technically, asylum is requested by those that have entered the country, while refugee status is requested by those not yet in the country. In each case, such request is made due to documented political or religious persecution. Poverty conditions, again technically, is not criteria for such requests.

Regarding the thousands in transit looking for entry, it definitely makes one feel good to say we should take care of them, but the realities must be faced. Currently, our best intended programs only subsidize the poverty that currently exists in this country. They do very little if anything to actually help people out of poverty. Accepting the thousands in transit will only further diminish our ability to care for our current poverty level population.

Obviously, we need to respond prior to their reaching our border. Initially, since our neighbors, Mexico and Canada, want and have free trade agreements with us, perhaps we should have immigration agreements as well. Accordingly, we should determine to what extent our neighbors are willing to help those in transit as well. We should immediately send representatives to those in transit, and advise them of our immigration laws in order for them to conform if they so desire. We should also let them know that their expectations will not be realized, that we do not have the resources to appropriately accommodate them immediately or in the near future. I think it important to let them know that they will not totally be welcomed with open arms.
It's been so successful in the past, they expect entry and in time they get it. We have been duped over & over. They have been trained by our stupidity.

Jan 2007
I'll bet you go to church every Sunday and sing how Great thou Art. If you do you're wasting your time.

"What you do to the least of my brothers you do to me."
I'm glad you are helping them out with your dollars. My dollars are for Americans in need, which there are many. You have a big heart for these people, act on it.
Church is not needed.

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
Shut down the border with Mexico. Just shut it down entirely. If Mexico won't stop them, then the border closes. Yes, I know GM builds their engines down there and Ford builds many cars down there. Not to mention Carrier and hundreds of other companies. We shut that border down and not only will Mexico demand a wall but they'll help us build it and man it. Their GDP cannot take that kind of hit.

Aug 2016
CA
Trump is absolutely correct. Shut down the border. The US will not be held hostage by a group of invaders who refuse to acknowledge other countries sovereignty. The kicked their way thru into Mexico and those pansies gave in. Not going to happen to the US! They either follow OUR laws and procedures or they can stay in Mexico.