What Trump's opioid announcement means -- and doesn't mean,

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
What Trump's opioid announcement means - CNNPolitics

it was kinda hard to listen to this speech because everyone behind him looks like they're in a hostage video. Trump seems to like to turn everything into a media extravaganza. Don't get me wrong. The fact that he held a press conference and took the action he did today are going to generate the national attention this crisis deserves. But, that attention will be short lived.

His emergency declaration will similarly be short lived. Unless he follows through with legislation from Congress. Some of which needs to be focused on drug companies as well as doctors whoirresponsibily over proscribe opiate medication. Then there are the cuts to programs that are already cash strapped trying to deal with this health emergency. Some may not know this. But, Obamacare mandates drug treatment services as the article points out.

In short, this just appears to be Trump once again making a lot of extravagant promises. Which, no one really has any credible belief he'll follow through on.

Last edited:
May 2012
By the wall
And once again you can't even give him credit for doing something right.

You predict his failure before its even begun.

There is nothing Trump could ever do or say you would agree with.

Nov 2013
None of your business
What Trump's opioid announcement means - CNNPolitics

it was kinda hard to listen to this speech because everyone behind him looks like they're in a hostage video. Trump seems to like to turn everything into a media extravaganza. Don't get me wrong. The fact that he held a press conference and took the action he did today are going to generate the national attention this crisis deserves. But, that attention will be short lived.

He's emergency declaration will similarly be short lived. Unless he follows through with legislation from Congress. Some of which needs to be focused on drug companies as well as doctors whoirresponsibily over proscribe opiate medication. Then there are the cuts to programs that are already cash strapped trying to deal with this health emergency. Some may not know this. But, Obamacare mandates drug treatment services as the article points out.

In short, this just appears to be Trump once again making a lot of extravagant promises. Which, no one really has any credible belief he'll follow through on.
No money in the budget to fight this; another hollow photo op for trump and his clotheshanger, Nancy Reagan "just say no", at least she spoke english, all those "dos and dats" from that clotheshanger really got on my nerves today...

"What I learned" I thought I was listening to an eight grader talking about the end of their science studies.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
No money in the budget to fight this; another hollow photo op for trump and his clotheshanger, Nancy Reagan "just say no", at least she spoke english, all those "dos and dats" from that clotheshanger really got on my nerves today...

"What I learned" I thought I was listening to an eight grader talking about the end of their science studies.
he doesn't seem to have a very good understanding of addiction. You're right. I had forgotten about the failed Nancy Reagan "Just Say No" campaign. But , it's exactly the same thing. Most addicts can't just say "no". That was a stupid thing to say back during the Reagan administration. Even back then they had AA and the 12 Step program. It's likely the people standing behind him could tell he didn't have a clue what he was talking about. That's why they had those odd expressions on their face.

May 2012
By the wall
he doesn't seem to have a very good understanding of addiction. You're right. I had forgotten about the failed Nancy Reagan "Just Say No" campaign. But , it's exactly the same thing. Most addicts can't just say "no". That was a stupid thing to say back during the Reagan administration. Even back then they had AA and the 12 Step program. It's likely the people standing behind him could tell he didn't have a clue what he was talking about. That's why they had those odd expressions on their face.
That program wasn't targeted towards addicts, it was targeted towards children before they became an addict.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
And once again you can't even give him credit for doing something right.

You predict his failure before its even begun.

There is nothing Trump could ever do or say you would agree with.
so we're all suppose to pretend like Trump didn't promise that he'd declare the opiate crisis a "national emergency"? Because that's a far cry from what he did today. He broke his promise. Not only that everything he's done has just made the problem worse. Including , supporting the Republican's plan to cut funding to programs that provide treatment services.