What was the most influential Empire?

May 2016
Terrorist capitol.twin cities
What do you think is the most influential Empire to exist and why?

By influential I largely mean it's influence on our world today

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Roman Empire imo.

Lotsa reasons. Among other things it was largely responsible for spreading christianity.

Sep 2006
Englewood, Fl
The Greeks IMHO. Coming out of the dark ages and into the light it created the greatest works of art architecture, literature, philosophy, mathematics, and there would have been no Roman Renaissance if it had not been for the influence of the Greeks. So, their influence was felt throughout Europe as we entered a new age of enlightenment.

Sep 2016
Germany

I would say in the last few years the most constructive mainstream of empires was: The egyptian empire, the greek empire, the roman empire, the holy roman empire, the osman empire, the english empire, the american empire. And not to forget India and China. ... Oh ... and the austrian empire was the most charming empire the world ever had seen ...

[video=youtube;y0-2d__wi7k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0-2d__wi7k[/video]

Last edited:
Aug 2012
the Sussex Downs

Roman Law/Civil Law systems are still used in most of Europe - after that the English common Law system - Universities and other Institutions are based on pre Christian Temples which covered the whole of civilization - we are all evolved out of past Empires as well as our own indigenous cultures.

Reactions: 2 people
Aug 2013
USA
This is a hard question. Many Empires influenced the world in many ways. I think the most influential may have been the Roman Empire. Only because it spread across several continents and brought with it advancements in war, religion, culture, education, transportation, medical, and more. Although even that could be contested in some ways. The first Chinese Emperor had roads that may have put the Romans to shame. It's a hard question. I do love ancient empires though so I'll mull the idea and see if I change any.

Reactions: 1 person
May 2016
Terrorist capitol.twin cities
This is a hard question. Many Empires influenced the world in many ways. I think the most influential may have been the Roman Empire. Only because it spread across several continents and brought with it advancements in war, religion, culture, education, transportation, medical, and more. Although even that could be contested in some ways. The first Chinese Emperor had roads that may have put the Romans to shame. It's a hard question. I do love ancient empires though so I'll mull the idea and see if I change any.
The Roman Empire decided the Canon and put together the first Bible, which is the best seller year after year and influences how people live their lives more than anything else, even in our enlightened age.

That is quite influential. The Roman Catholic Church is arguably the most influential institution. Roman Government still influences modern Government and culture.

Charlemagne was the First Holy Roman Emperor and the European Union's capital is called the Charlemagne building.

The Charlemagne prize is given to those who assist with the unification of Europe. Charlemagne is referred to as the founder of Western culture and all French and German Kings including Napoleon took him as their Patron and had the tradition of invoking him. Western European sovereignties outside of the Holy Roman Empire considered Their Kingdoms descendants of his kingdom.

I'd say this is all grounds first saying the Roman Empire is the most influential In-Shaping western civilization.

Attachments

Jun 2006
Vancouver
Cool thread question

The Chinese

The Greeks may be equal in influence, but the Chinese get a bonus point for still influencing 5,000 years later