What we know about the officer involved in the fatal police shooting in Minneapolis

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
An officer involved in the fatal shooting of Australian bride-to-be Justine Maia Ruszczyk in Minneapolis on Saturday has been identified as 31-year-old Mohamed Noor.

Minnesota ABC affiliate KSTP reported that a source with direct knowledge of the shooting said on Monday that Noor fired his weapon at least once, killing Ruszczyk and that he was sitting in the passenger seat of a police vehicle at the time of the shooting.

Noor's lawyer gave a statement that acknowledges his involvement in the incident but does not address whether Noor fired his weapon.

Police have declined to identify either officer at the scene of the shooting.

Here's what we know about the officer and the tragic death that took place on Saturday.
What we know about the officer involved in the fatal police shooting in Minneapolis - ABC News

ok, why did both the officers have their cameras turned off? What's going on here? Why aren't they giving the family any information? Explanations why? Nothing.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
Very weird that he shot her through the door. Makes me wonder (100% pure speculation) if he was just screwing around with his gun and it went off or something.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
My neighbor is a local police officer and a couple years ago we talked about police cameras. He told me that the police unions would demand that they could have the freedom to turn them off when they felt it was necessary. Remember they record everything even when they are sitting and eating lunch. So I am curious if they allow them now to do this or did they just have them off because they were just sitting there?? This is a crazy story in Minneapolis..

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Very weird that he shot her through the door. Makes me wonder (100% pure speculation) if he was just screwing around with his gun and it went off or something.
The whole situation sounds crazy there. I cant even begin to imagine what happened there..

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
My neighbor is a local police officer and a couple years ago we talked about police cameras. He told me that the police unions would demand that they could have the freedom to turn them off when they felt it was necessary. Remember they record everything even when they are sitting and eating lunch. So I am curious if they allow them now to do this or did they just have them off because they were just sitting there?? This is a crazy story in Minneapolis..
I would press for them to be on, 100% of the time for this exact reason. As soon as you let the police turn them on and off, you can no longer trust them.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
I would press for them to be on, 100% of the time for this exact reason. As soon as you let the police turn them on and off, you can no longer trust them.
especially when there's a shooting. The cameras are meant to protect them as well as everyone else involved.

Last edited:

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
On a news report this morning I heard that the officers in that jurisdiction are supposed to turn the cameras on when they respond to a 911 call. I haven't heard a reason why their's wasn't on.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Exactly. I think they should be on the whole time they're on duty, not just when they're on a 911 call.