What will be THE issue for 2020?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Just curious what you all think? Heard several democratic pundits say they want candidates to take an oath and make it single payer. For the GOP I suspect it will be immigration.

According to the Politico/Harvard poll , released Monday, a full 84 percent of Democrats says "providing health insurance coverage for everyone through a taxpayer-funded national plan like MedicareForAll" should "be an extremely important priority" for the party.

While numerous polls over the last two years have shown increasingly high levels for a single-payer approach or Medicare For All solution to the nation's healthcare crisis, many Democratic Party leaders have clung to their reluctance of the idea.

Last week, Democrat Terry McAuliffe, the former governor of Virginia who says he is contemplating a run for president, warned the party away from bold solutions like Medicare for All, saying voters are not ready for policies that he characterized, without evidence, of being "unrealistic."

Democrats Don't Just Support Medicare for All, 84% in New Poll Want Party Leaders to Make It 'Extremely Important Priority'

Aug 2018
Vancouver
Jobs.

Everywhere.

Every city. Every country.

If people don’t have good middle class jobs they’re going to riot. And only government is offering good middle class jobs.

Somethings gotta give. Public sector unions can’t employ everybody.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Just curious what you all think? Heard several democratic pundits say they want candidates to take an oath and make it single payer. For the GOP I suspect it will be immigration.

According to the Politico/Harvard poll , released Monday, a full 84 percent of Democrats says "providing health insurance coverage for everyone through a taxpayer-funded national plan like MedicareForAll" should "be an extremely important priority" for the party.

While numerous polls over the last two years have shown increasingly high levels for a single-payer approach or Medicare For All solution to the nation's healthcare crisis, many Democratic Party leaders have clung to their reluctance of the idea.

Last week, Democrat Terry McAuliffe, the former governor of Virginia who says he is contemplating a run for president, warned the party away from bold solutions like Medicare for All, saying voters are not ready for policies that he characterized, without evidence, of being "unrealistic."

Democrats Don't Just Support Medicare for All, 84% in New Poll Want Party Leaders to Make It 'Extremely Important Priority'
Getting rid of Trump if he is still there, plus Medicare for all.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
The country as a whole needs to engage in some self-reflection. A candidate would need to be able to lead us through that before we can discuss concrete issues. Unfortunately, we do not as a society have that capacity - if we ever had it in my lifetime, it has been quite a long time, probably not since the Contract with on America became a thing.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
The country as a whole needs to engage in some self-reflection. A candidate would need to be able to lead us through that before we can discuss concrete issues. Unfortunately, we do not as a society have that capacity - if we ever had it in my lifetime, it has been quite a long time, probably not since the Contract with on America became a thing.
I am not sure we can ever get back to that. Social media, cellphones, and the way we now interact has changed our capability to self reflect. We never are alone anymore where we can reflect and figure out how to handle a situation and assess. Instead we are on social media asking what to do and yelling about every little thing. Psychologists now say we are all hypermanic.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I am not sure we can ever get back to that. Social media, cellphones, and the way we now interact has changed our capability to self reflect. We never are alone anymore where we can reflect and figure out how to handle a situation and assess. Instead we are on social media asking what to do and yelling about every little thing. Psychologists now say we are all hypermanic.
Well, we had certainly better re-learn how to do it - individually as well as socially. I am speaking not merely about individual self-reflection - which is an underdeveloped skill in many people anyway - but the need for society to do so as a whole. It would not only take an enormous effort, but also requires visionary leaders (which may no longer be available) who can steer us in that direction. Until we can do that, @bonehead's desire for more democracy in our system will not be practically possible, and in fact we would end up drifting into a fascist nightmare of strongman officials ruling by force (see any speculative dystopia).

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Well, we had certainly better re-learn how to do it - individually as well as socially. I am speaking not merely about individual self-reflection - which is an underdeveloped skill in many people anyway - but the need for society to do so as a whole. It would not only take an enormous effort, but also requires visionary leaders (which may no longer be available) who can steer us in that direction. Until we can do that, @bonehead's desire for more democracy in our system will not be practically possible, and in fact we would end up drifting into a fascist nightmare of strongman officials ruling by force (see any speculative dystopia).
I have to think thats what we are seeing in the western world. These far right leaders rising and populism. Part of the problem is globalization but its also status quo. People feel bored and that nothing is really happening. So the fascists suddenly seem interesting and exciting. Being called a radical is a good thing these days. I saw a program on PBS last year and they showed younger people in eastern Europe and Russia just gushing over communism. They never lived with it but felt it would end income inequality and correct the ills. The older people were horrified.