What will be THE issue for 2020?

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Money makes the world go round...
That's why they invented the stuff! :p

Start at birth, what chance does a child born into poverty or near poverty have, right off the bat?

Both parents have to work, what does that do for "family values"?

To the potential for that kid to turn criminal?

Another one to clog up the courts?

The prisons?

See how much poverty wages cost us in the long run?

"...for the price of incarceration you could send 'em to Harvard..."

Thx :)

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
And if someone like Sherrod Brown is the Democratic nominee, you just might see a revolt of the much-loathed 'coastal elites', the upper middle class, the upward strivers, the professionals, the engineers and scientists, who have become the core of the current Democratic Party, and who would not trust the Paleolithic instincts of Sherrod Brown on trade issues. Shrug. They might end up looking for a third party candidate in that case. You'd be presenting them with TWO anti-trade candidates in Trump and Brown!
Thats why I say we are in a pickle. There are few candidates that can unite those divisions. Biden can but he is old. I just think some of the identity politics, social issues and environmental issues that the dems are pushing to the forefront are noble and great but they dont feed them. If we hit another recession they arent going to matter one iota. Someone that can bring jobs to these areas will be more important. That could leave out a lot of democrats and the Romney type republicans.

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
I posted a little on this earlier, I didn't put "Trump" into my list of platform criteria because that seems a given.

I just hope Mueller can do it on his own, but I'd like to see the whole rotten bunch, kids, inlaws, cronies, admin get what's coming to them.

Just what the law prescribes, no more, no less...

Gotta admit though, Trump did what maybe none of us ever saw a way of getting done: the undoing of the GOP!

"Tired of winning" GOP, the prospects are even bleaker for 2020!

Thx :p

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
We are probably never going to agree on this, MaryAnne. Clinton was RIGHT to sign NAFTA. I regard NAFTA as a wild success story. We signed it for GEOPOLITICAL reasons just as much as ECONOMIC reasons. Had we not signed it, Mexico might well have turned into a giant Cuba on our southern border, or maybe Venezuela might be a better analogy today. Today, Mexico has a growing middle class and is a functioning democracy, though they still have huge struggles with the drug cartels-----which is to a large extent OUR fault! And meanwhile, America GAINED jobs from NAFTA, as the statistics SHOW, whether the workers in your geographic area are willing to acknowledge that or not. Many of those new jobs were in the Sun Belt, it is true. Economic dislocations are inevitable in a capitalist economy. They CAN be painful. But trying to stop them is a fool's errand.
This is not a question of you and I agreeing. The problem is all those angry workers. I am simply explaining why so many Democrats and Union members voted for Republicans and Trump.

What you and I think does not matter.

Last edited:
Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Well, it was the Great Recession that brought it all out of the woodwork. Had the Great Recession never happened, Trump would have never happened.
No, LeRoy, this anger started long before the Recession. Festering during the 80’s, it exploded after NAFTA was signed.

That is when the companies began to pressure workers to give back benefits or they would move to Mexico. That became a constant theme. The increase in employment happened in the last 15 years, but workers wages are still flat.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
Yes, but all he has to do is start "talking" about getting wages raised the way they tried to shanghai the issue of pre-existing conditions and it might just carry him.

Corporate America will know he's just saying it to stay alive politically.

Have we forgotten so fast how things can turn out much different than what might be predicted or based on how it might seem?

You have to anticipate ANY contingency with this lot, I still see pundits actually believing a word that comes out of his mouth, NO!

Someday they will wake up themselves and stir the sleeping giant, first one to do so will dominate, someday "wages" won't be considered "crazy talk."

But that's what people do, they go all around the house to come in through the front door.

If Trump starts talking wages, Pelosi can send him a nice wage bill to sign and see if he puts his money where his mouth is....

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
This is not a question of you and I agreeing. The problem is all those angry workers. I am simply explaining why so many Democrats and Union members voted for Republicans and Trump.

What you and I think does not metter.
I was just thinking pretty much the same thing a few minutes ago MaryAnne: dems have to understand just how fed-up with the "status-quo" average Americans are.

And again, the first one to start hammering the issue of wages is going to dominate the election (s)

We worry about "turnout"? Let's start talking about issues people care about, issues that have direct effect on so many, in so many different aspects: stagnant wages.

What's the UUUGE issue at this very moment: workers not getting their wages...