What will it take to get us back to Journalism when Walter Chronkite said "that's the way it was?"

Mar 2019
DE, US
I say, get rid of all of them and let them use their talents elsewhere.

Once we get rid of all that nonsense media, I'm looking forward to a remake of Gunsmoke staring Sean Hannity as Matt Dillon and Rachel Maddow as Kitty. 20 years of her giving him free drinks and Matt never trying to get into her pants would suit me.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
There's no shortage of quality English language news media.

Shut off the 24 hr cable news, it's crap by definition. Don't believe anything written or delivered in an emotional way, with snide, sneering opinions and insults in it.

Fake news is obvious. It's clear as day. A child should be able to spot it.

Mar 2019
DE, US

Shut off the 24 hr cable news, it's crap by definition. Don't believe anything written or delivered in an emotional way, with snide, sneering opinions and insults in it.

Just report something new and keep your opinions to yourself, giving other people enough respect to make up their own minds. It was nice when only a half hour per day could get you the news. They can fill that empty "air" space with something else.

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
I doubt those days are ever coming back, to tell you the truth.

Between the 24-hour news cycle, the Internet, slashed newsroom budgets, the growth of corporate media...

You might as well be asking when will the Beatles get back together.

Mar 2019
DE, US
I doubt those days are ever coming back, to tell you the truth.

Between the 24-hour news cycle, the Internet, slashed newsroom budgets, the growth of corporate media...

You might as well be asking when will the Beatles get back together.
I know all the good things of our past can come back again. We have the technology now to make a new movies staring dead people or make new songs for them to sing. We're just too busy doing stupid things.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA

^^This^^

I get most of my info online. I only watch a couple of "news" shows.

And anyone with half a brain can spot obvious bias.

Mar 2019
DE, US
^^This^^

I get most of my info online. I only watch a couple of "news" shows.

And anyone with half a brain can spot obvious bias.
When I was young, shortly after attending school, I considered the news to be a civic duty. I would come home from school and take newspapers to the office of the trucking company next door to my grandmother's store to make a little money, but mostly just to deliver the news because I was told to. I never asked for more than the 7 cents the newspapers costed, I always had enough change and was very happy to get a tip occasionally. They had a soda machine there that would give you a small coke for 5 cents and the bottles were worth 2 cents. I never liked coke, but did take advantage of that machine sometimes, but not often. I preferred my grandmother's ice cold Pepsi machine, even though it costed 10 cents, so I scoured the earth looking for soda bottles or did whatever I could find to make money.

It's funny how times change and I avoid the news now like it's a plague. I don't care if I agree or disagree with the articles in the news media, just shut the fuck up and quickly let me know what I need to know. Show me some consideration and don't waste my time with your bullshit. I have better things to read or do.

I know I left out many stories about the news media in between, but I did so because hearing those stories was boring as hell to me as a young person, an adolescent, a young man or an old fart. The golden days for me where those Walter Cronkite days. Sorry about the h, I was too busy to catch the mistake.