What's more important....your honor or your job?

What's more important....your honor or your job?

• Honor

• Job

Results are only viewable after voting.

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
Umm... your honor? Sounds like something from a duel in the Middle Ages.

Isn't that sort of a central component of capitalism? You rent your self to someone else to help make him rich in exchange for being able to stay fed and housed. Not much honor in that, really. Helps to be a capitalist, but most people just work for them.

Mar 2019
"US" of A
...and have you ever traded your honor to keep your job?
I have been able to put management a box, but you have to be right and have your shit together. I've been in the pharmaceuticals/research game for over 25 years. I’ve been told more than once to violate FDA regulations or safety measures to make timelines. You confront that corruption head on in a room full of people. Not a damn thing they can do when they find out not everyone is for sale like that. Fuck ‘em.

Mar 2019
"US" of A
Umm... your honor? Sounds like something from a duel in the Middle Ages.

Isn't that sort of a central component of capitalism? You rent your self to someone else to help make him rich in exchange for being able to stay fed and housed. Not much honor in that, really. Helps to be a capitalist, but most people just work for them.
Yes, that is the drill, nicely put. American farmers pushed off the land during the industrial revolution implicitly understood what wage slavery would become and resisted.

Reactions: EnigmaO01

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
No, which is why I was laid off from the last "real job" I had 18 years ago.

Of course, being a self-employed professional helps.
When I worked for the IRS under Nixon, I and many other the Revenue Officers were forced to make personal honor vs Job retention decisions a number of times and most of us managed to retain our honor by manipulating the bureaucracy to fool our Nixon-Loyal bosses while retaining our honor.
(we managed to do our jobs while avoiding the draconian policies Nixon wanted us to use against the Vietnam War protesters that he considered his personal enemies.)

Reactions: BigBob