What's so racist about Blackface?

Jul 2017
U.S.A.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Megyn Kelly is catching heat on social media once again.

This time, for comments she made during "Megyn Kelly Today" Tuesday about dressing up in blackface for Halloween. During a panel discussion, Kelly wondered "But what is racist?" when it comes to costumes choices for the October holiday.

"Because you do get in trouble if you are a white person who puts on blackface on Halloween, or a black person that puts on whiteface for Halloween," she said. "And back when I was a kid, that was OK, as long as you were dressing up as, like, a character." Kelly then mused about a recent blackface controversy to expand on her stance

There was a controversy on 'The Real Housewives of New York' with Luann (de Lesseps). She dressed as Diana Ross, and she made her skin look darker than it really is. And people said that that was racist. And I don’t know!" she explained. "I thought like, who doesn’t love Diana Ross? She wants to look like Diana Ross for one day, and I don’t know how that got racist on Halloween."

Her comments were rejected by the group at the "Today" table and plenty of people on social media reacted similarly:

Social media slams Megyn Kelly for defending blackface on 'Today' show

Hopefully, she will learn something from this experience.

Apr 2015
Banned
Megyn Kelly is catching heat on social media once again.

This time, for comments she made during "Megyn Kelly Today" Tuesday about dressing up in blackface for Halloween. During a panel discussion, Kelly wondered "But what is racist?" when it comes to costumes choices for the October holiday.

"Because you do get in trouble if you are a white person who puts on blackface on Halloween, or a black person that puts on whiteface for Halloween," she said. "And back when I was a kid, that was OK, as long as you were dressing up as, like, a character." Kelly then mused about a recent blackface controversy to expand on her stance

There was a controversy on 'The Real Housewives of New York' with Luann (de Lesseps). She dressed as Diana Ross, and she made her skin look darker than it really is. And people said that that was racist. And I don’t know!" she explained. "I thought like, who doesn’t love Diana Ross? She wants to look like Diana Ross for one day, and I don’t know how that got racist on Halloween."

Her comments were rejected by the group at the "Today" table and plenty of people on social media reacted similarly:

Social media slams Megyn Kelly for defending blackface on 'Today' show

Hopefully, she will learn something from this experience.
Would it be racist for Barack Obama to dress as Donald Trump for a Halloween Party?

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
I think it's pretty evident what the means. That it's pretty offensive. Maybe some people like Kelly don't know that yet.

Like I said, I hope she learns from this. I don't think she is racist btw. Just clueless sometimes.