What's the difference between swelling and excessive swelling?

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
I have no frame of reference for this.

My surgery went well, ended up doing 2 days in hospital because the surgery was late in the day and it wasn't until the next day they tried to get me up to pee and I screamed like crazy. Muscle cramps were debilitating and I had to go through the torture process of them giving me dribs and drabs of pain meds to ramp me up instead of trusting that I wouldn't die (they have narcan is this really that big of a risk?) and apparently severe pain is better for healing than if they give you an extra 10 of oxy and you get a little loopy. the explanations are hilarious. "We're authorized to give you a small amount of morphine but we don't want to do that because when you go home you won't have that." In other words, if you get actual pain relief, you might come to expect it and we wouldn't want that.

@HCProf you were so right about the care for patients with insurance not being as good of quality as those with Medicare/Medicaid. I'm not getting bad care, and my surgeon actually got back to me on the phone yesterday pretty quickly to tell me the stinging was me healing, which I figured out last night isn't quite true, it's the swelling, but I'll get to that in a minute. The care was okay, but seeing what my sister got with her post operative care and follow up home care it's a huge difference. One of the last people to visit me before I left was a guy with a pamphlet entitled "How can I pay my bill?" Lol.

Anyway, I feel much better, the pain has eased up to where the max dose (20 mg) of oxy covers it. Figured out that instead of increasing your pain meds, they just wait for the pain to go away by itself and then the meds work.

Thereapist is late, she's not exactly a ray of sunshine so I'm not concerned. I've also come to a conclusion that a lot of money is wasted in hc due to re-verifying the same info continuously on various computing devices that are very glitchy and slow. A lot of "let's make sure something that the odds are a gazilion to one that might happen don't happen." Like let's have the wheelchair guy make sure and cut the wristband off the patients before they leave. I asked the guy if that was so people couldn't impersonate a patient and he said yes and I said has that ever happened and he said no, it's just so something new they're making them do.

Another complaint. Do my armpits stink or something? They seem overly concerned about me showering, sent me home with a whole array of little bottles of hotel size soapy/washy stuff and one pair of blood clot socks that they said not to take off. Hello? You might want to take a whiff of my feet before you decide it's a good idea to make page one of post op going home instructions all about shower safety while ignoring the fact I've had the same socks on for 5 days straight.

Got a digital thermometer, same thing, everything you don't need to know is front and center and actual directions on how to use the damn thing on buried on page three. Took me several times trying to change the mode before I figured out all the icons are shaped like a guy getting his ass temp taken (laying, feet in air) but there's a tiny, tiny dot above his mouth or his armpit indicating it's not set to anal temp. good grief who's designs this shit.

Anyway, back to the swelling. My incision hurts because of it. It didn't even start til yesterday and I never had major surgery or swelling before so I don't have any idea what the appropriate amount would look like. The drs office said don't worry about it unless it's red and you run a temp or the incision leaks (hard to tell there's a giant bandaid on it that appears to have been gorilla glued) so I'm not worried and I'm not running a temp according to the little icon guy on my thermometer permanently positioned to for rectal procedure. I got a second old school thermometer to double check the first thermometer. So unless I'm getting sharp pains or my dirty socks unravel like the Hulk, I'm probably not going to die. Yet, at least.

Anyway, missed you all, any insights into swelling would be helpful and while I'm disappointed I didn't get to text the pictures of my butt I took to show my swelling to the doctor, I'm doing pretty good. :)

On the next episode of "Recovery, when things go about as expected" we'll discuss the joys of having a caregiver who left her brain on the Prison Planet website.

Jul 2013
On a happy trail

My surgery went well, ended up doing 2 days in hospital because the surgery was late in the day and it wasn't until the next day they tried to get me up to pee and I screamed like crazy. Muscle cramps were debilitating and I had to go through the torture process of them giving me dribs and drabs of pain meds to ramp me up instead of trusting that I wouldn't die (they have narcan is this really that big of a risk?) and apparently severe pain is better for healing than if they give you an extra 10 of oxy and you get a little loopy. the explanations are hilarious. "We're authorized to give you a small amount of morphine but we don't want to do that because when you go home you won't have that." In other words, if you get actual pain relief, you might come to expect it and we wouldn't want that.

@HCProf you were so right about the care for patients with insurance not being as good of quality as those with Medicare/Medicaid. I'm not getting bad care, and my surgeon actually got back to me on the phone yesterday pretty quickly to tell me the stinging was me healing, which I figured out last night isn't quite true, it's the swelling, but I'll get to that in a minute. The care was okay, but seeing what my sister got with her post operative care and follow up home care it's a huge difference. One of the last people to visit me before I left was a guy with a pamphlet entitled "How can I pay my bill?" Lol.

Anyway, I feel much better, the pain has eased up to where the max dose (20 mg) of oxy covers it. Figured out that instead of increasing your pain meds, they just wait for the pain to go away by itself and then the meds work.

Thereapist is late, she's not exactly a ray of sunshine so I'm not concerned. I've also come to a conclusion that a lot of money is wasted in hc due to re-verifying the same info continuously on various computing devices that are very glitchy and slow. A lot of "let's make sure something that the odds are a gazilion to one that might happen don't happen." Like let's have the wheelchair guy make sure and cut the wristband off the patients before they leave. I asked the guy if that was so people couldn't impersonate a patient and he said yes and I said has that ever happened and he said no, it's just so something new they're making them do.

Another complaint. Do my armpits stink or something? They seem overly concerned about me showering, sent me home with a whole array of little bottles of hotel size soapy/washy stuff and one pair of blood clot socks that they said not to take off. Hello? You might want to take a whiff of my feet before you decide it's a good idea to make page one of post op going home instructions all about shower safety while ignoring the fact I've had the same socks on for 5 days straight.

Got a digital thermometer, same thing, everything you don't need to know is front and center and actual directions on how to use the damn thing on buried on page three. Took me several times trying to change the mode before I figured out all the icons are shaped like a guy getting his ass temp taken (laying, feet in air) but there's a tiny, tiny dot above his mouth or his armpit indicating it's not set to anal temp. good grief who's designs this shit.

Anyway, back to the swelling. My incision hurts because of it. It didn't even start til yesterday and I never had major surgery or swelling before so I don't have any idea what the appropriate amount would look like. The drs office said don't worry about it unless it's red and you run a temp or the incision leaks (hard to tell there's a giant bandaid on it that appears to have been gorilla glued) so I'm not worried and I'm not running a temp according to the little icon guy on my thermometer permanently positioned to for rectal procedure. I got a second old school thermometer to double check the first thermometer. So unless I'm getting sharp pains or my dirty socks unravel like the Hulk, I'm probably not going to die. Yet, at least.

Anyway, missed you all, any insights into swelling would be helpful and while I'm disappointed I didn't get to text the pictures of my butt I took to show my swelling to the doctor, I'm doing pretty good. :)

On the next episode of "Recovery, when things go about as expected" we'll discuss the joys of having a caregiver who left her brain on the Prison Planet website.
Did you have anterior or posterior? I had anterior and seemed to escape the immediate screaming pain. That came later when the sciatica that I never knew I had, acted up during PT. My problem is I can't tolerate opiates so its mobic and tylenol.

For the swelling, ice packs, I lived on them for two months. I was lucky I only had entire affected side swelling for about 24 hours (1 to 2 plus) with some bruising then it just localized to the operation site.

Oh when it's okay with your therapist and doc start gently massaging the area as soon as you can. Seems I didn't start early enough and I had a few nasty adhesions that probably were the cause of the acute pain.

Last edited:

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA

I was thinking about you over the weekend!! I thought you would still be in the hospital. Don't worry about showering until you feel stable enough to stand it. I went a week after my thyroid removal surgery and was fine. Same with my ankle fracture. As much as I love showers, the thought of it at first made me sick...so I just washed up. Your thermometer story cracked me up!! LOL

I would put a ice pack on the incision. Like Panz, I lived on them after my ankle surgery and it really helped with the swelling. Just do the 20 minutes on and wait a little while before you put another one on. Just make sure you have something between your skin and the ice pack for circulation.

The part that I find disturbing is how chintzy they are being about your pain control. That is crazy. I took over 200 percs and vicodin during my recovery which was before all this craziness started with opioids and nothing happened. I just forgot to take one and that was that.

Keep us posted!! Enjoy this time off...it has probably been a long time for you. Feel better soon!!

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I was thinking about you over the weekend!! I thought you would still be in the hospital. Don't worry about showering until you feel stable enough to stand it. I went a week after my thyroid removal surgery and was fine. Same with my ankle fracture. As much as I love showers, the thought of it at first made me sick...so I just washed up. Your thermometer story cracked me up!! LOL

I would put a ice pack on the incision. Like Panz, I lived on them after my ankle surgery and it really helped with the swelling. Just do the 20 minutes on and wait a little while before you put another one on. Just make sure you have something between your skin and the ice pack for circulation.

The part that I find disturbing is how chintzy they are being about your pain control. That is crazy. I took over 200 percs and vicodin during my recovery which was before all this craziness started with opioids and nothing happened. I just forgot to take one and that was that.

Keep us posted!! Enjoy this time off...it has probably been a long time for you. Feel better soon!!
Doctors are running scared seeing all these lawsuits against the drug makers. My nephew broke his foot a few months back and no pain meds at all. Doctor refused. Said 4 Ibuprofen was enough. I pretty much had all the percs I wanted when I had my surgery a decade ago. Now its all changed. Just found out the oral surgeons around here wont give them for wisdom teeth removal either anymore. None. NH got accused of having been too easy with percs and oxy after wisdom tooth extractions so now its none. They are fearful the young will get addicted and they will be blamed.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
Doctors are running scared seeing all these lawsuits against the drug makers. My nephew broke his foot a few months back and no pain meds at all. Doctor refused. Said 4 Ibuprofen was enough. I pretty much had all the percs I wanted when I had my surgery a decade ago. Now its all changed. Just found out the oral surgeons around here wont give them for wisdom teeth removal either anymore. None. NH got accused of having been too easy with percs and oxy after wisdom tooth extractions so now its none. They are fearful the young will get addicted and they will be blamed.
I just had a some painful dental work done and I made it real clear to my Dentist before he touched me, that I am not the type of person who can handle pain. It makes me mental. He prescribed 8 Lortabs which is a low level narcotic. They did the job without making me feel impaired or stoned. I took about 4 of them and stashed the rest. LOL I really dread the day I need a serious surgery. I fear they will make me suffer like a animal. To me, that is just cruel.

Jan 2019
USA
Yes, definitely take your temp frequently. My other half had major surgery several years ago. She was sent home with no antibiotics and 9 days later the incision began to bleed. She had a major infection of the torso and brain, 12 days in ICU and it was touch and go.

Had I been told something so simple as to monitor her temp, the infections would of been caught far earlier. Monitoring your own blood pressure and heart rate is also good.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I just had a some painful dental work done and I made it real clear to my Dentist before he touched me, that I am not the type of person who can handle pain. It makes me mental. He prescribed 8 Lortabs which is a low level narcotic. They did the job without making me feel impaired or stoned. I took about 4 of them and stashed the rest. LOL I really dread the day I need a serious surgery. I fear they will make me suffer like a animal. To me, that is just cruel.
I agree, it is absurd at the very least. As we have discussed elsewhere, it makes no sense to require people to experience extreme pain just because someone, somewhere, might become addicted.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I agree, it is absurd at the very least. As we have discussed elsewhere, it makes no sense to require people to experience extreme pain just because someone, somewhere, might become addicted.
Its all part of that zero tolerance world we live in where some think there can be no more shades of grey. Instead we are heading back to the 19th century where pain was inevitable and suffering was everywhere. Its a cop out. Nobody wants to take the time or accept personal responsibility anymore. People are well aware these days about opioid addiction. We are going backwards.