What's the one word that will always come up in an immigration debate?

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
"illegals".

It's on both sides. So.....
The most often cited excuse for using this slur is that it's short hand for "illegal alien". But, I challenge anyone to find that term in federal immigration law describing a migrant who is in this country illegally. I'm promising right here in the OP to concede that point if they do. Some will look to the IRS. But, the IRS isn't in the business of enforcing immigration law. Even so, last time I checked they had changed their definitions.

Undocumented Alien
An alien who entered the United States illegally without the proper authorization and documents, or who entered the United States legally and has since violated the terms of his or her visa or overstayed the time limit. An undocumented alien is deportable if apprehended.
Immigration Terms and Definitions Involving Aliens | Internal Revenue Service

There's more to add. But, I'm going to hold off now until and if responses start being posted.

Your thoughts so far?

Mar 2019
California
"illegals".

It's on both sides. So.....
The most often cited excuse for using this slur is that it's short hand for "illegal alien". But, I challenge anyone to find that term in federal immigration law describing a migrant who is in this country illegally. I'm promising right here in the OP to concede that point if they do. Some will look to the IRS. But, the IRS isn't in the business of enforcing immigration law. Even so, last time I checked they had changed their definitions.

Immigration Terms and Definitions Involving Aliens | Internal Revenue Service

There's more to add. But, I'm going to hold off now until and if responses start being posted.

Your thoughts so far?
It is logical. They are aliens. Here illegally. But I don't want to CALL them anything. Just remove them. This country has enough people on Welfare.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
It is logical. They are aliens. Here illegally. But I don't want to CALL them anything. Just remove them. This country has enough people on Welfare.
so no "due process" no presumption of innocence until proven guilty. Basically , making a mockery of the very legal foundations you're using to support your narrative .