What's up, McDonalds?

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
I am not technically hearing impaired, but I do have trouble hearing sometimes when there is 'crossnoise' and I find myself reading lips to augment my hearing.

Usually a drive through speaker is no problem, but sometimes it is and I just go to the window. Never had a problem with that. I would swear it was at McDonalds I saw a sign that said if there are hearing problems to please proceed to the window to order. Guess I was wrong. That was somewhere else.

I pulled up to the window and said sorry to mess up your system, but I couldn't hear and needed to come to the window. The woman was mad. You didn't order? No. I just said, I couldn't hear you and needed to pull up. She said to a co-worker 'she didn't order'. That one acted like OMG.

She proceeded to be very rude. Just stared at me. Finally said do you want to order something? Yeah, I do. (Didn't I just say that?) I wondered how badly it really could 'mess up their system'. It wasn't busy at all.

She was so rude I finally got mad and said what is the problem? She said we are not supposed to take orders at the window. I said there is a sign saying people should pull up if they have hearing problems. She said no, there isn't. I was like ! OK, well I guess that was somewhere else but what are people supposed to do if they can't hear you? She said no one has that problem but you.

Keep in mind, this has not happened before. I hardly ever go there, I have never seen this woman before. 'No one has this problem but you?' Really? REALLY snotty. Like I was known to her as some sort of annoying customer. That was over the top. I do not believe for a second I am the only one with that problem!

So I drove off in fury, ready to call and scream at customer service. Googling them pulled up an article about a truly hearing impaired woman who sued them for refusing to let her order at the window. They said she had to drive around, order through the speaker, or come inside. I didn't have the option of going inside. Inside is closed until earlier in the AM.

What in the f?

Hearing Impaired Woman Sues McDonald's

I'm still going to call and scream when they open. I am PISSED.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
Americans are used to truly terrible service and treatment, after all, we are just peons and serfs of the system. Our "betters" know what is best for us...

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
People who work fast food often have no people skills, including listening skills. Back when I used to eat fast food (I quit that when I transitioned to kosher - there is kosher fast food in Israel, not so much where I live), I ran into this constantly, especially the inability to listen to an order ... I used to get stuff I did not order all the time.

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
Americans are used to truly terrible service and treatment, after all, we are just peons and serfs of the system. Our "betters" know what is best for us...
ok but this is a whole other level. The woman with the hearing aid, the speakers made it screech in her ear. And yet they wanted to to drive back around, figure out how to order at the speaker behind her......I am glad she sued. Soeasy to accommodate her disability by letting her order at the window.

I would guess that suit is why the signs went up saying if you have hearing problems to pull up.

After complaining to Corporate, the franchise owner did not choose to call and apologize or anything. So, I just haven't gone back. I meant to, to see if this location has that sign I know I have seen at others.

I'm not mad anymore, just astonished. YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS THIS PROBLEM! That was just bizarre.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I am glad she sued. Soeasy to accommodate her disability by letting her order at the window.
Indeed, people are not taught how to properly treat other people, but rather to not give a damn. Either that, or many just cannot handle anything outside of the box they are trained in.

Apr 2014
Maryland
ok but this is a whole other level. The woman with the hearing aid, the speakers made it screech in her ear. And yet they wanted to to drive back around, figure out how to order at the speaker behind her......I am glad she sued. Soeasy to accommodate her disability by letting her order at the window.

I would guess that suit is why the signs went up saying if you have hearing problems to pull up.

After complaining to Corporate, the franchise owner did not choose to call and apologize or anything. So, I just haven't gone back. I meant to, to see if this location has that sign I know I have seen at others.

I'm not mad anymore, just astonished. YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS THIS PROBLEM! That was just bizarre.
I am not excusing the women’s awful behavior and she should be reported but are you aware that you hold up everyone behind you who might be in a rush? I am going to ask a silly question, why don’t you have a hearing aid? I’m have to get on soon....makes me officially old :vomit:

Nov 2013
NY
OK I didn't scream but I let them know that was really awful.
should have screamed though.

Should have ordered "a lot". Keep them busy.... annoy them as much as possible.. And when the food is ready, you tell her you changed your mind, and you do not want to support a business with such rude and anti-customer staff. Drive off, wishing her a nice day.

Call your cc company for a chargeback, say you never got your food. :)

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
I might have mentioned this in another thread, another context ... There's a small, family-owned diner a few miles from my home. Last time I was there, one of the waitresses was a woman with dwarfism. I didn't even notice her until she walked up to a recently-unoccupied booth carrying a bottle of cleanser and a rag. She literally jumped unto the bench seat, walked down the length of the bench, and proceeded to clean the far end of the table.

I also noticed that she primarily catered to those tables with elderly people - and it took me a moment to realize why. When a person is seated at a restaurant engaging the server, the customer must look upwards in order to make eye contact. Not something most of us think about. But some elderly people find it difficult. I've seen some dedicated servers crouch down to look elderly customers in the eye. This is commendable, knees permitting - but it can still be perceived as unavoidably condescending.

This waitress - with dwarfism - could stand up straight, at the same eye-level as the customer, and speak with the customers. It's not a huge tweak to the dynamics of the system, but it was fascinating to watch. I've no idea whether she still works there - the diner is a bit far, and they keep weird hours, so I'm not a regular. It was unexpected to see that not only was she able to do her job - but that in at least one way, her condition enabled her to do her job better than taller individuals.