What's up, McDonalds?

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
I am not excusing the women’s awful behavior and she should be reported but are you aware that you hold up everyone behind you who might be in a rush? I am going to ask a silly question, why don’t you have a hearing aid? I’m have to get on soon....makes me officially old :vomit:
I wasn't holding anyone up. There was no one behind me. Even if there had been, I was ordering only fries. Those are always cooked and sitting in the warmer. It took no more time for me to order at the window than the speaker, and they ask you to pull around for anything that isn't immediately ready in any circumstance, which I was perfectly willing to do if somehow fries were not already cooked.

This happened once at Church's Chicken and the guy was like yeah the wind is crazy isn't it? What can I get you? Totally non-pulsed.

But typing that makes me remember a few years ago when I did this, the lady, after taking my order and my money and handing me the food said next time, order at the speaker. And not in a nice way. I did yell at her, because I had explained nicely why I had not done so when I pulled up, they had just opened, I had gone at that time specifically knowing every item on the menu would be totally fresh, everything ready at their fingertips.

I don't need a hearing aid at this time. I hope I never do, ugh. I only have a problem when there is 'cross noise'. 99/100 times I can order at the speaker no problem.

I didn't realize I had a hearing problem until I was at the store with a short cashier. I noticed I was trying to read her lips and could not. I didn't realize I had been reading lips until then.

I then noticed I am reading lips on TV also, but turning up the volume makes that worse. Whatever other sound is muffling their voices gets louder too.

Nov 2015
UK
I am not technically hearing impaired, but I do have trouble hearing sometimes when there is 'crossnoise' and I find myself reading lips to augment my hearing.

Usually a drive through speaker is no problem, but sometimes it is and I just go to the window. Never had a problem with that. I would swear it was at McDonalds I saw a sign that said if there are hearing problems to please proceed to the window to order. Guess I was wrong. That was somewhere else.

I pulled up to the window and said sorry to mess up your system, but I couldn't hear and needed to come to the window. The woman was mad. You didn't order? No. I just said, I couldn't hear you and needed to pull up. She said to a co-worker 'she didn't order'. That one acted like OMG.

She proceeded to be very rude. Just stared at me. Finally said do you want to order something? Yeah, I do. (Didn't I just say that?) I wondered how badly it really could 'mess up their system'. It wasn't busy at all.

She was so rude I finally got mad and said what is the problem? She said we are not supposed to take orders at the window. I said there is a sign saying people should pull up if they have hearing problems. She said no, there isn't. I was like ! OK, well I guess that was somewhere else but what are people supposed to do if they can't hear you? She said no one has that problem but you.

Keep in mind, this has not happened before. I hardly ever go there, I have never seen this woman before. 'No one has this problem but you?' Really? REALLY snotty. Like I was known to her as some sort of annoying customer. That was over the top. I do not believe for a second I am the only one with that problem!

So I drove off in fury, ready to call and scream at customer service. Googling them pulled up an article about a truly hearing impaired woman who sued them for refusing to let her order at the window. They said she had to drive around, order through the speaker, or come inside. I didn't have the option of going inside. Inside is closed until earlier in the AM.

What in the f?

Hearing Impaired Woman Sues McDonald's

I'm still going to call and scream when they open. I am PISSED.
The first problem is, you used McDonalds, the company that supplies McCrap food.

The second problem is, you expected to find a member of McDonalds staff that's not thicker than my kitchen worktop.

Lesson learnt.

Jun 2014
United States
I am not technically hearing impaired, but I do have trouble hearing sometimes when there is 'crossnoise' and I find myself reading lips to augment my hearing.

Usually a drive through speaker is no problem, but sometimes it is and I just go to the window. Never had a problem with that. I would swear it was at McDonalds I saw a sign that said if there are hearing problems to please proceed to the window to order. Guess I was wrong. That was somewhere else.

I pulled up to the window and said sorry to mess up your system, but I couldn't hear and needed to come to the window. The woman was mad. You didn't order? No. I just said, I couldn't hear you and needed to pull up. She said to a co-worker 'she didn't order'. That one acted like OMG.

She proceeded to be very rude. Just stared at me. Finally said do you want to order something? Yeah, I do. (Didn't I just say that?) I wondered how badly it really could 'mess up their system'. It wasn't busy at all.

She was so rude I finally got mad and said what is the problem? She said we are not supposed to take orders at the window. I said there is a sign saying people should pull up if they have hearing problems. She said no, there isn't. I was like ! OK, well I guess that was somewhere else but what are people supposed to do if they can't hear you? She said no one has that problem but you.

Keep in mind, this has not happened before. I hardly ever go there, I have never seen this woman before. 'No one has this problem but you?' Really? REALLY snotty. Like I was known to her as some sort of annoying customer. That was over the top. I do not believe for a second I am the only one with that problem!

So I drove off in fury, ready to call and scream at customer service. Googling them pulled up an article about a truly hearing impaired woman who sued them for refusing to let her order at the window. They said she had to drive around, order through the speaker, or come inside. I didn't have the option of going inside. Inside is closed until earlier in the AM.

What in the f?

Hearing Impaired Woman Sues McDonald's

I'm still going to call and scream when they open. I am PISSED.

You should have just whipped her ass right then and there.

That would have been fun.

Apr 2014
Maryland
should have screamed though.

Should have ordered "a lot". Keep them busy.... annoy them as much as possible.. And when the food is ready, you tell her you changed your mind, and you do not want to support a business with such rude and anti-customer staff. Drive off, wishing her a nice day.

Call your cc company for a chargeback, say you never got your food. :)
Why encourage someone to come down to that level? Remember these up minimum wage earners who worked damn hard and I don’t think it’s really fair to condemn an entire franchise.
I wasn't holding anyone up. There was no one behind me. Even if there had been, I was ordering only fries. Those are always cooked and sitting in the warmer. It took no more time for me to order at the window than the speaker, and they ask you to pull around for anything that isn't immediately ready in any circumstance, which I was perfectly willing to do if somehow fries were not already cooked.

This happened once at Church's Chicken and the guy was like yeah the wind is crazy isn't it? What can I get you? Totally non-pulsed.

But typing that makes me remember a few years ago when I did this, the lady, after taking my order and my money and handing me the food said next time, order at the speaker. And not in a nice way. I did yell at her, because I had explained nicely why I had not done so when I pulled up, they had just opened, I had gone at that time specifically knowing every item on the menu would be totally fresh, everything ready at their fingertips.

I don't need a hearing aid at this time. I hope I never do, ugh. I only have a problem when there is 'cross noise'. 99/100 times I can order at the speaker no problem.

I didn't realize I had a hearing problem until I was at the store with a short cashier. I noticed I was trying to read her lips and could not. I didn't realize I had been reading lips until then.

I then noticed I am reading lips on TV also, but turning up the volume makes that worse. Whatever other sound is muffling their voices gets louder too.
Seems to be a stigma with hearing aids. I point that out in my workshops how we have no stigma against eyeglasses but we do about hearing aids. And I’m guilty of that as well. If you could not hear the speaker at McDonald’s you probably need a hearing aid and your other example as well. Have you had your hearing checked ? I did and I’m getting near that time but they are obscenely expensive and are not covered..Guess I’m gonna have to get one of those big horns that you put in your ear LOL. Do you use close caption on your TV? If turning up the volume makes it worse Rhein your issue is you can’t hear certainly sounds...it’s time sassy!

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
Why encourage someone to come down to that level? Remember these up minimum wage earners who worked damn hard and I don’t think it’s really fair to condemn an entire franchise.

Seems to be a stigma with hearing aids. I point that out in my workshops how we have no stigma against eyeglasses but we do about hearing aids. And I’m guilty of that as well. If you could not hear the speaker at McDonald’s you probably need a hearing aid and your other example as well. Have you had your hearing checked ? I did and I’m getting near that time but they are obscenely expensive and are not covered..Guess I’m gonna have to get one of those big horns that you put in your ear LOL. Do you use close caption on your TV? If turning up the volume makes it worse Rhein your issue is you can’t hear certainly sounds...it’s time sassy!
I don't feel a stigma about them. I just know they are hella expensive, uncomfortable, and don't work all that well for many people. And I am just not there yet. I can still hear mostly well. The cross noise thing gets me sometimes. I turn my head, read lips a little to augment. I can hear the TV at a pretty low volume, it's sort of strange how it manifests.
I paid attention to it when I was watching a movie with a friend who keeps TV volume very low and I only missed words that were mumbled. Though I was sneaking up the volume bit by bit on her, lol. But to a normal level, she only has it super low due to paranoia about bothering a neighbor.

I have slight ringing in my ears sometimes. I don't know if this is true, but in a movie a guy had bad ringing in his ears from damage to a bomb blast and someone being mean to him said that ringing means that it the last time you will ever hear that frequency, so enjoy it!

I have done this: I am starting to memorize songs that I like so I can play them in my mind when the time comes. I don't think that is super close. Anyway, a hearing aid wouldn't help me now. What good would a hearing test do? Just to tell me, yup, your hearing is impaired a little and it will get worse? I already know that.

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
You should have just whipped her ass right then and there.

That would have been fun.
I did at that time understand the videos that go around sometimes of people throwing down at the Mcdonalds window! I wanted to get ghetto Sassy on her. Biatch! Get me some fries and a coke and STFU! :p

Nov 2018
Bel Air, MD
I fully emphasize with you. I've driven through McDonald's and other fast food places and found some of them have terrible speaker systems. Sometimes they can't seem to hear you and other times we can't them. And, sometime they can't hear me, I can't hear them.

I think the idea of driving up to the pay window is a good solution when that happens.

McDonald's and other fast food vendors often have employees with an attitude, but their supervisors should be screening their customer interactions.

Customer service should always be emphasized by supervisors, no matter what business is involved.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC

The event had to be annoying. Am personally pretty easy going, but i have no patience for rudeness from service staff.

Confess i am a little surprised by your experience at McDonalds. Don't remember ever encountering problems there. In your position i would absolutely make it a point to report what happened. And do it at the store where it occurred. The managers and particularly the franchise owner want to know these things....so that they can correct them. It's also important that you communicate your displeasure in a civil manner....otherwise you won't be taken as seriously.

(We <heart> their breakfast burritos!!!)