What's up, McDonalds?

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
I think they ARE trained to not take window orders, and can't think outside the box, as Ian said. I gave her the benefit of the doubt until she spit out 'No one has this problem but YOU'. I know that wasn't true. That is what led me to google and the suit that was brought regarding this. I am NOT disabled from hearing loss, this was not an affront of that magnitude at all. It was super fucking rude, though. But hey, I got my food, I don't go there anymore. F them. LOL.

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
I fully emphasize with you. I've driven through McDonald's and other fast food places and found some of them have terrible speaker systems. Sometimes they can't seem to hear you and other times we can't them. And, sometime they can't hear me, I can't hear them.

I think the idea of driving up to the pay window is a good solution when that happens.

McDonald's and other fast food vendors often have employees with an attitude, but their supervisors should be screening their customer interactions.

Customer service should always be emphasized by supervisors, no matter what business is involved.
Right. That is why what she said was BS. Even people who have perfect hearing, there is trouble with the speaker sometimes. Sometimes they will say sorry, please pull up. Other times one just has to do that. NO ONE HAS THIS PROBLEM BUT YOU. That was just so bizarre. I had not been rude at all. I was flabbergasted.

Feb 2015
sadness
I am not technically hearing impaired, but I do have trouble hearing sometimes when there is 'crossnoise' and I find myself reading lips to augment my hearing.

Usually a drive through speaker is no problem, but sometimes it is and I just go to the window. Never had a problem with that. I would swear it was at McDonalds I saw a sign that said if there are hearing problems to please proceed to the window to order. Guess I was wrong. That was somewhere else.

I pulled up to the window and said sorry to mess up your system, but I couldn't hear and needed to come to the window. The woman was mad. You didn't order? No. I just said, I couldn't hear you and needed to pull up. She said to a co-worker 'she didn't order'. That one acted like OMG.

She proceeded to be very rude. Just stared at me. Finally said do you want to order something? Yeah, I do. (Didn't I just say that?) I wondered how badly it really could 'mess up their system'. It wasn't busy at all.

She was so rude I finally got mad and said what is the problem? She said we are not supposed to take orders at the window. I said there is a sign saying people should pull up if they have hearing problems. She said no, there isn't. I was like ! OK, well I guess that was somewhere else but what are people supposed to do if they can't hear you? She said no one has that problem but you.

Keep in mind, this has not happened before. I hardly ever go there, I have never seen this woman before. 'No one has this problem but you?' Really? REALLY snotty. Like I was known to her as some sort of annoying customer. That was over the top. I do not believe for a second I am the only one with that problem!

So I drove off in fury, ready to call and scream at customer service. Googling them pulled up an article about a truly hearing impaired woman who sued them for refusing to let her order at the window. They said she had to drive around, order through the speaker, or come inside. I didn't have the option of going inside. Inside is closed until earlier in the AM.

What in the f?

Hearing Impaired Woman Sues McDonald's

I'm still going to call and scream when they open. I am PISSED.
did you get a receipt? Look on there for the did we do a good job number.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
In truth, I have no had such negative experience here in Canada, including with McDonalds, both back in Richmond/Vancouver and here in Toronto. Staff always been perfectly nice to me lol

But I don't really go for fast/junk food so much anymore anyway, it's really not healthy...

One interesting thing I've observed with Russian McDonald's (and I don't want to draw any conclusions here lol): their personnel are mainly Slavic, local girls

Yes, this is actually unusual.

Most positions, at, for example, an average Moscow Burger King, below, are filled by immigrants, documented and not, mostly also women, from ex-Soviet Central Asia, the -stans

(Yes, they serve beer, it's Russia lol)

KFC also

Not so with McD, from what I've observed, their personnel tend to be very, very white hehe

All I can guess is that they have a particularly racist and xenophobic clientele over there...

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
Just remember for every rude fast food employee there's probably ten even ruder customers. It's a law of nature that employees are punished if they're rude while rude customers get apologies and free stuff.

Florida Woman Calls 911 After McDonald's Runs Out of McNuggets
I am always super nice to them because of all the rude people.

It's good if they are fired on the spot for being rude. I knew I would be when I worked in ff and then later waitressing. One rude encounter could cause the loss of a lot of business. Even before the land of social media.

They didn't get a lot of business from me, but now they get none. Zero. And they do not know how much or little I gave them before. They should have called me and apologized after I reported to corporate and they did not. They should have sent me a small gift card and they did not.

Denny's did, good on them. But I never used it. I had had it with asking for something that is basic. Fresh food. I order breakfast at non peak times but it's still supposed to be cooked to order. Not leftover from the rush and reheated.

It's not enjoyable if I have to make a special effort to get fresh food. IHOP was doing the same thing. Looking at me like I had two heads when I would VERY NICELY say I would appreciate if you do not give me hashbrowns leftover from the breakfast rush. I really enjoy your really yummy freshly made ones.

f em. Waffle house cooks them fresh and now I save money making my own bacon and biscuits!

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
I am always super nice to them because of all the rude people.

It's good if they are fired on the spot for being rude. I knew I would be when I worked in ff and then later waitressing. One rude encounter could cause the loss of a lot of business. Even before the land of social media.

They didn't get a lot of business from me, but now they get none. Zero. And they do not know how much or little I gave them before. They should have called me and apologized after I reported to corporate and they did not. They should have sent me a small gift card and they did not.

Denny's did, good on them. But I never used it. I had had it with asking for something that is basic. Fresh food. I order breakfast at non peak times but it's still supposed to be cooked to order. Not leftover from the rush and reheated.

It's not enjoyable if I have to make a special effort to get fresh food. IHOP was doing the same thing. Looking at me like I had two heads when I would VERY NICELY say I would appreciate if you do not give me hashbrowns leftover from the breakfast rush. I really enjoy your really yummy freshly made ones.

f em. Waffle house cooks them fresh and now I save money making my own bacon and biscuits!
Yeah, sucks when you pay a whole $3 for breakfast and the hash browns aren't fresh enough. :rolleyes:

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
Yeah, sucks when you pay a whole $3 for breakfast and the hash browns aren't fresh enough. :rolleyes:
Are you being sarcastic? Fresh is now too much to ask? I should eat stale food and like it?

I was talking about places like Denny's and IHOP. At the latter, a waitress flat out told me that they do not like to waste the hashbrowns made in bulk to get out quickly during the breakfast rush. They sit, and then get re-heated. I never worked at a place that would allow such. Make less prepping for the peak times. Waste whatever has to be wasted. Never serve stale food. Ever. What is the point in going out to eat and handing over any amount of money for stale food?

Apr 2014
Maryland
Are you being sarcastic? Fresh is now too much to ask? I should eat stale food and like it?

I was talking about places like Denny's and IHOP. At the latter, a waitress flat out told me that they do not like to waste the hashbrowns made in bulk to get out quickly during the breakfast rush. They sit, and then get re-heated. I never worked at a place that would allow such. Make less prepping for the peak times. Waste whatever has to be wasted. Never serve stale food. Ever. What is the point in going out to eat and handing over any amount of money for stale food?
What makes you think reheated hash potatoes are “stale? Lots of things are reheated and often taste better like stews for instance

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto

I don't really expect high quality food at those "fast" joints.

Kinda like going to some seedy bar and demanding authentic 50 year old French wine, you know? :)

You get what you pay for ;)