What's up, McDonalds?

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
What makes you think reheated hash potatoes are “stale? Lots of things are reheated and often taste better like stews for instance
Because they are. Some things are better re-heated. Hashbrowns are not one of those things. If they were 'better' they'd make them all before opening and serve them all reheated. No, the waitress told me they are not supposed to, but they serve the old ones left over. IDK if that is cooks being lazy or the manager being stupid, but either way it's wrong.

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
I don't really expect high quality food at those "fast" joints.

Kinda like going to some seedy bar and demanding authentic 50 year old French wine, you know? :)

You get what you pay for ;)
Sigh.

IHOP and Denny's are not fast food joints. I am not expecting high end food, but I am expecting they start cooking it when I order, not 4 hours before.

It's good when one goes during peak times and everything is fresh. I usually went at non peak times. If they want to serve me hours old food, I should get a discount. Instead, people during peak times pay the same price for fresh food that I do for old food. But I don't want discounted old food. I want to pay regular fare for fresh food!

I can't believe this is thought to be too much to ask. Seedy roadside diners manage to cook everything fresh to order 24 hours a day. Waffle House manages it. Denny's and IHOP are a cut above Waffle House, so yes I expect fresh food.

That is the expectation at any place, including fast food. If you go to KFC, are you going to accept chicken that has been sitting for 4 hours? Fries that have been sitting for an hour? No, gross.

I worked at Church's as a teen and it's 45 minutes for chicken and then it's trash. Employees could eat it or box it up to take home, but it was not to be served. Fries and okra were thrown out very quickly. You learn how much to make in advance of rush times to lessen the waste.

Fries are THE most perishable. They taste like utter shit if not eaten fresh and hot to the vast majority of people. That goes for any sort of fried potato. Some survive longer than others, like the KFC wedges, probably because they are thicker.

Apr 2014
Maryland
Because they are. Some things are better re-heated. Hashbrowns are not one of those things. If they were 'better' they'd make them all before opening and serve them all reheated. No, the waitress told me they are not supposed to, but they serve the old ones left over. IDK if that is cooks being lazy or the manager being stupid, but either way it's wrong.
Many places make hashbrowns and then reheat them to make them crispy on the outside. You can’t do that before opening. I still don’t know why that they would be “stale” why would the serve tell you that?
You can’t make hashbrowns on the spur of the moment

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
Many places make hashbrowns and then reheat them to make them crispy on the outside. You can’t do that before opening. I still don’t know why that they would be “stale” why would the serve tell you that?
You can’t make hashbrowns on the spur of the moment
The waitress told me because I asked why are they old and reheated? I can tell by the taste. I asked her why does this keep happening? And she confided the reason. It bothered her to serve them that way. I sent them back and got fresh ones. After a while I got tired of having to do that or ask in advance for something so basic.

The Denny's owner was very apologetic. He had just taken over from another owner. I just asked nicely, is this policy? To pre-cook them so they come out faster? He said NO. EVERY order is supposed to start cooking AFTER you order it.

I am not making shit up. I worked in restaurants all through college. I make my own hashbrowns at home using simply potatoes product - they are shredded and prepped for me like they are at restaurants. (If there is one that grows the potatoes and shreds them when people order, I have never been to it, that would take a long time to get the meal).

Hashbrowns can be and are made on the spur of the moment. The hashbrowns are prepped. Waffle House does this 24 hours a day. You order them, they drop the oil on the grill, plop the shredded potatoes down, cook for a few minutes, flip them, cook a couple more minutes, and serve them. They cook a bit longer if people want them crispy. Or if the cook gets distracted! I get crispy when I don't want crispy sometimes, but they aren't bad that way.

And, yes, things that need to be cooked again (which hashbrowns do NOT) DO have to be done before opening. What are you even saying?

You think that a breakfast place would open up and tell customers key menu items are not yet available? 'Sorry, no hashbrowns! We have to cook them and let them sit for at least a couple hours, then we reheat them. Come back after normal breakfast hours'?

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
We used to make hash browns to order.

First, the potatoes are par-boiled, kind of heavy. (That's the secret<. People try to make hash browns from fresh potatoes and it takes an hour and they come out undercooked on the inside and burned on the outside.)

Then you peel them with a spoon, cut them into length-wise quarters and run them through the food processor...

Now, you will get a fair amount of "mashed" potatoes building up on the sides of the processor, scrape it out leaving only the chips.

Next you form them and refrigerate them, then take them out and finish them to order...

Thx :)

Last edited:
Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
We used to make hash browns to order.

First, the potatoes are par-boiled, kind of heavy. (That's the secret<. People try to make hash browns from fresh potatoes and it takes an hour and they come out undercooked on the inside and burned on the outside.)

Then you peel them with a spoon, cut them into quarters and run them through the food processor...

Now, you will get a fair amount of "mashed" potatoes building up on the sides of the processor, scrape it out leaving only the chips.

Next you form them and refrigerate them, then take them out and finish them to order...

And THAT is totally fine. (Those sound good!).

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
And THAT is totally fine. (Those sound good!).
I'll bet every proper hash brown order anyone's ever had here was made that way, it's really the only way of doing it.

I'm with ya' here Sassy, there is nothing "expired" or "past it's date" about the good money I paid them, and I expect made to order every time.

We used to have a sports pub around here, they made hamburgers... they'd pull the pre-cooked patty out of the refer and microwave it, charged $8 for this! :zany:

I like to run a restaurant, I like to make a profit, but I ALSO have to show my face in town!

Last edited:
Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
I'll bet every proper hash brown order anyone's ever had here was made that way, it's really the only way of doing it.

I'm with ya' here Sassy, there is nothing "expired" or "past it's date" about the good money I paid them, and I expect made to order every time.

We used to have a sports pub around here, they made hamburgers... they'd pull the pre-cooked patty out of the refer and microwave it, charged $8 for this! :zany:

I like to run a restaurant, I like to make a profit, but I ALSO have to show my face in town!

I think we have all paid too much for crappy bar food. A more upper scale place here does roasted red potatoes. They take a long time to cook. I don't know how they ensure not to serve old ones, but they do. Maybe there is a 'last step' that isn't done until the order takes place. IDK, I do know from working in restaurants and fast food that fresh food IS possible and I never worked anywhere that would permit anything but. Back in ye old days. The bean counters calculate differently than they used to. We were taught waste = greater profit in the end. Maybe Chuches still does. I don't eat there often, but they never gave me stale food even here in these modern times of people not giving a shit about quality control. Merry Christmas!

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I think we have all paid too much for crappy bar food.
Indeed. Ever since starting to keep kosher, I have with only rare exception always eaten at home (or someone else's home, on Shabbat & holidays), because my town has only one kosher restaurant (though I have occasionally been out of town). And home-cooked is always better, anyway.

Apr 2014
Maryland
Indeed. Ever since starting to keep kosher, I have with only rare exception always eaten at home (or someone else's home, on Shabbat & holidays), because my town has only one kosher restaurant (though I have occasionally been out of town). And home-cooked is always better, anyway.
When did you become kosher? Were you raised Orthodox?