When "Persia" became "Iran"

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I have a good friend in Canada who is orginally from Iran. Never mattered to him. Persian or Iranian, same thing, to him. I don't know.

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
I dunno, with the few Iranian people I've known, they all insisted they were Persian... small sample though, take it for what it is...

Seems that, in a sense there's still the sensation that it still is Persia. Again, small sample.
I think its more an ethnicity thang.. Persians have no problem with being called a persian. I doubt kurd or arab iranians think of themselves as persians.

Last edited:

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
what ethnicity is your friend?
Persian. With, believe it or not, some Russian Cossack blood lol

One of his ancestors was a Russian officer part of this force: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_Cossack_Brigade

Who fell in love with a local girl :D

Fascinating guy, really. Iranian, but, with a Russian name, Alexei. His family really remember that side of their heritage, very proud of it, they are... He looks totally Persian though. Dark hair and everything. We were in high school here together, that's where we met. One day, he came to my sister's place with me, where I lived then. And there were pics on a shelf of our patents, with dad in full Cossack regalia, and other ancestors from his side. And he is like, oh, cool, you are of Cossack blood too? And I'm staring at him like, wtf do you mean "too"??? haha

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
I think its more an ethnicity thang.. Persians have no problem being with being called a persian. I doubt kurd or arab iranians think of themselves as persians.
Yes, and that was the one of the people went so far as to refer to Arabs as animals... which I felt was a bit racist for my tastes so I just let it go at that. Which is also why I wanted to be clear that I was speaking anecdotally.

Jun 2014
United States
Thanks, I was hesitant to say, because I'm talking a small sample (5-10 people over years) but each person if I said Iranian they would correct to the effect of being from Iran but are Persian.
My anecdotal sample size is also small. I've probably met no more than 20 Iranians myself, and I can't recall "Persia" or "Persian" ever coming up in a conversation with any of them.