When the government says NO to treatment that will save your life

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
What do you do when the government refuses to cover the treatment that will save your life? Mo Haque was not going to just die. He started trying to find a way to fund the immunotherapy treatments that would save his life. I know that many think that socialized medicine is the answer, what happens when you are in your early thirties and the government isn't willing to spend the money for your treatment? That's what happened to Mo Haque in the United Kingdom. NHS would not pay for immunotherapy for his type of cancer. His latest update this month says that his cancer is reducing in size.

[video=youtube;SeoS-yvr5_g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeoS-yvr5_g[/video]​

Mo Haque, 34, has now raised almost £185,000 of a £200,000 target to fund his immunotherapy treatment, which is designed to “wake up” a patient’s immune system, but which he could not access on the NHS.

Mr Haque has had 12 cycles of immunotherapy so far, with the drug pembrolizumab, starting the treatment in April last year when he had raised around £60,000.

He was told that pembrolizumab was available for some cancers including melanoma, but not for bowel cancer.

The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) is currently reviewing pembrolizumab to treat advanced bowel cancer and expects to issue guidance to NHS trusts later this year.

Camden cancer patient?s tumours shrink by half after ?miraculous? drugs not available on NHS | Health | Hampstead Highgate Express
Mr Haque, from Camden, has written a book, Choosing To Stay, to inspire others. He said: “If I didn’t go down the self-funding route, it’s very likely we would not be having this *conversation today. The scan results in May 2016 were showing signs of it spreading into the liver. That was the trajectory — unequivocal progression. That would have meant a lot of pain and suffering and eventual death, most probably.

“Self-funding allowed me to have the drug and has given me more life. I’m very grateful. I don’t think I have words to express how much.”

When he began the crowdfunding campaign, his MP Sir Keir Starmer wrote to Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt saying it was “unacceptable that anyone should have to fund potentially life-*saving treatment in this way”. In the book, Mr Haque reveals he was told he “would have to be a millionaire” to receive immunotherapy, which boosts the body’s immune system to target cancer.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...acle-drug-not-available-on-the-nhs/ar-AAyGJLR

Last edited:
Nov 2010
What do you do when the government refuses to cover the treatment that will save your life? Mo Haque was not going to just die. He started trying to find a way to fund the immunotherapy treatments that would save his life. I know that many think that socialized medicine is the answer, what happens when you are in your early thirties and the government isn't willing to spend the money for your treatment? That's what happened to Mo Haque in the United Kingdom. NHS would not pay for immunotherapy for his type of cancer.
This is so dumb, what do you do when a greedy insurance company refused to cover the treatment? This happens all the time in this country. Not a very strong argument.

Every industrialized country in the world has universal health care> our system sucks, no amount of stupid shit you say will change that.

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
This is so dumb, what do you do when a greedy insurance company refused to cover the treatment? This happens all the time in this country. Not a very strong argument.

Every industrialized country in the world has universal health care> our system sucks, no amount of stupid shit you say will change that.
What do you do when the NHS tells you No to the treatment that will save your life?

Jun 2014
United States
What do you do when the NHS tells you No to the treatment that will save your life?

This guy started a fund raising campaign. That was probably the best tactic he could have pursued.

What would you do if your insurance provider refused to cover a medical procedure that you could not afford personally?

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
This guy started a fund raising campaign. That was probably the best tactic he could have pursued.

What would you do if your insurance provider refused to cover a medical procedure that you could not afford personally?
That would be the insurance provider and policy that I chose. My insurance provider has never refused me a treatment. Many of you want to trust the government to decide IF you should have treatment.

Jun 2014
United States
That would be the insurance provider and policy that I chose. My insurance provider has never refused me a treatment. Many of you want to trust the government to decide IF you should have treatment.

That's not really an answer. It's merely an insult.

Of course, I didn't expect much in the way of a rational answer.

Last edited:
Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
What do you do when the government refuses to cover the treatment that will save your life? Mo Haque was not going to just die. He started trying to find a way to fund the immunotherapy treatments that would save his life. I know that many think that socialized medicine is the answer, what happens when you are in your early thirties and the government isn't willing to spend the money for your treatment? That's what happened to Mo Haque in the United Kingdom. NHS would not pay for immunotherapy for his type of cancer. His latest update this month says that his cancer is reducing in size.

[video=youtube;SeoS-yvr5_g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeoS-yvr5_g[/video]​
NEWS FLASH!!!! This is not the UK.

Feb 2007
In my mind
It appears that it is off label for the treatment of his sort of cancer.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/hea...e-drug-not-available-on-the-nhs-a3863916.html

The NHS’s drug approval body Nice has recently expanded access to pembrolizumab for lung cancer patients. It is also available for advanced skin cancer. However, it has not been trialled widely enough on bowel cancer patients to enable its use in the NHS.