When the government says NO to treatment that will save your life

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
So what? You still didn't answer my question.
You asked a hypothetical question about something that has not happened to me. How about this, if my insurance would not pay for my treatment then I would pay for it. Now, there's an answer. Do you trust the federal government to make the healthcare decisions for you about what you should have or not have?

Jun 2006
Vancouver
What do you do when the NHS tells you No to the treatment that will save your life?
You pay for it yourself.

What do you do in the US if your private insurance won’t cover necessary treatment?
You pay for it yourself.

What do you do in the US when you don’t have any insurance at all and need necessary treatment?
You pay for it yourself.

Public insurance isn’t a magical miracle that waves a magical rainbow wand and cures all diseases. It’s just better than relying only on private insurance.

Not marvellous. Not miraculous. Not perfect. Just much, much better.

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
You asked a hypothetical question about something that has not happened to me. How about this, if my insurance would not pay for my treatment then I would pay for it. Now, there's an answer. Do you trust the federal government to make the healthcare decisions for you about what you should have or not have?
Do you trust insurance company underwriters to make those decisions?

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
Do you trust insurance company underwriters to make those decisions?
Yes, I do. I think that if I choose the right policy, pay my premiums, they will cover what they state that they will cover in the policy. Read it. I do not trust the government which changes political directs once or twice a decade. How many times have we heard about the miserable job they've done with the Social Security money?

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
Yes, I do. I think that if I choose the right policy, pay my premiums, they will cover what they state that they will cover in the policy. Read it. I do not trust the government which changes political directs once or twice a decade. How many times have we heard about the miserable job they've done with the Social Security money?
You do? Then you are unbelievably naïve and gullible.

Jun 2014
United States
What do you do in the US when you don’t have any insurance at all and need necessary treatment?
You pay for it yourself.

That's not actually what happens. You can't pay a huge medical bill if you don't have the money. What happens instead is that the overall cost of medical treatment (and insurance) rises for those of us who do have medical insurance in order to cover the cost of indigent care. The individual who receives the bills that they can't pay simply goes bankrupt.

That's why we made an effort to implement universal health-care insurance, but most of the progress that we made has already been undone under the Trump administration.