Where Is Transylvania?

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
The Real Dracula: Vlad the Impaler
The Real Dracula: Vlad the Impaler

Transylvania
is a historical region which today is located in central Romania. Bound on the east and south by its natural borders, the Carpathian mountain range, historical Transylvania extended westward to the Apuseni Mountains. The term sometimes encompasses not only Transylvania proper, but also parts of the historical regions of Crișana and Maramureș, and occasionally the Romanian part of Banat.
Transylvania - Wikipedia

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
So.....vampires. Maybe? Definitely? ¡No way, Jose'!

And, if they are real-ish, why did nobody who spoke English know about them until Bram Stoker wrote his iconic novel in 1897?

@Helena.....is this novel well-known in The Czech Republic?

If not, is there a Czech vampire myth? Where did it begin?

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
So.....vampires. Maybe? Definitely? ¡No way, Jose'!

And, if they are real-ish, why did nobody who spoke English know about them until Bram Stoker wrote his iconic novel in 1897?

@Helena.....is this novel well-known in The Czech Republic?

If not, is there a Czech vampire myth? Where did it begin?

I think the vampire myth is pretty prevalent in Eastern European cultures (as is the werewolf). I'm guessing it sprung from the terrain and unfortunate encounters with the local wildlife. Neither legend really got picked up in the West until relatively recently, as far as I know.

But boy! I loved those Hammer Films when I was a kid.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
I think the vampire myth is pretty prevalent in Eastern European cultures (as is the werewolf). I'm guessing it sprung from the terrain and unfortunate encounters with the local wildlife. Neither legend really got picked up in the West until relatively recently, as far as I know.

But boy! I loved those Hammer Films when I was a kid.
They are almost all free on YouTube, yumyum! Sadly, I don't think the "special effects" Hammer installed in the theaters are available.

Did you see "The Tingler" at the movies?

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
They are almost all free on YouTube, yumyum! Sadly, I don't think the "special effects" Hammer installed in the theaters are available.

Did you see "The Tingler" at the movies?
No, I don't think I saw any of them in theaters, but that film was creepy enough on TV!