Which is better intellignce with education, or education with low intelligence?

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS

Does being educated mean you are intelligent, or are these things mutually exclusive?

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Assuming intelligence to be an innate characteristic ... one can be intelligent and either education or uneducated. However, a person of low intelligence is unlikely to be educated, or even want to be, if that person considers it too much effort and frustration to be worth it. Reminds me of my stepbrother on my mother's side (haven't seen him in at least 33 years).

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work

Does being educated mean you are intelligent, or are these things mutually exclusive?

Did you mean to say intelligence without education vs education without intelligence? If not, then I'd say it is better to be both educated and intelligent.

That seemed too easy.

But I do think that in some sense, being educated does make you more intelligent. Sure, there is innate ability, but the brain is very plastic. It adapts to what it's is asked to do, just like muscles adapt to what they are used for.

Sep 2011
aMEEErica
Is it heredity, or environment?

Intelligence over education if it has to be one or the other.

There are plenty of educated idiots out there...

Education can be "acquired," intelligence is more an act of nature.

Thx :)

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Is it heredity, or environment?

Love that film ... have it on DVD. And the "sequel," Coming to America. ("Sequel" because Eddie Murphy's character divests his servant of his cash, to keep him out of trouble, and gives it to a couple homeless guys who happen to be the Duke brothers from Trading Places.)

Reactions: Thx1138

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS
Did you mean to say intelligence without education vs education without intelligence? If not, then I'd say it is better to be both educated and intelligent.

That seemed too easy.

But I do think that in some sense, being educated does make you more intelligent. Sure, there is innate ability, but the brain is very plastic. It adapts to what it's is asked to do, just like muscles adapt to what they are used for.

lol of course its better to be both. what I am asking, maybe a different way, is it better to be educated than intelligent, as easy as that.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
lol of course its better to be both. what I am asking, maybe a different way, is it better to be educated than intelligent, as easy as that.
Assuming one had to choose between the two, choose intelligence. An intelligent person can acquire an education; but an educated person cannot acquire intelligence.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh

Intelligence + education.

With low intelligence, the capacity to be educated will be more limited.

These aren't mutually exclusive concepts. I forget the numbers exactly, but the military does IQ tests, they have found that there exists a threshold where the military has found that no amount of training can lead a person below that line to be anything but a risk to their squad. The problem is that below that threshold, their intelligence precludes them from conceptualizing the elements required.

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
Assuming one had to choose between the two, choose intelligence. An intelligent person can acquire an education; but an educated person cannot acquire intelligence.
I get what you're saying, but I don't think intelligence is entirely innate. Sure, some people do take to learning more readily than others, and struggle less with problem solving, but we learn by doing things. I think to a large degree, you are becoming more intelligent by becoming educated. Learning algebra doesn't just increase your ability to solve algebra problems—it increases your ability to think about problems in a more abstract way. That said, I think a lot of what we call "intelligence" comes down to what kind of learning environment we had as very young children, what kind of stressors the child might have encountered and how regularly, and how much the child was able or allowed to explore and figure things out.

Reactions: Ian Jeffrey

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
Just to play devil's advocate, I'm going to say education is more important, since a supposedly intelligent person with zero education is probably no help to anyone. Even a person of mediocre intelligence who is highly educated (whatever that means) will probably always be in demand.

Reactions: Thx1138 and Babba