Which of these health insurance policies is best?

Which of these health insurance plans is best?

• $1,250 a month premium, $0 deductible, $0 coinsurance, $0 copay, everything is covered in full.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $1,000/month premium, $3,000 deductible, $0 coinsurance/copays, covered in full after deductible.

• $750/month premium, $6,000 deductible, $0 coinsurance, $0 copays, covered in full after deductible.

• Total voters
Sep 2013
On a hill
The evidence I have is the vast majority of everything else the government does: overbudget, overly bureaucratic, and incompetent.
I cant think of anything more bureaucratic than insurance. The more you want to limit something, the more bureaucratic it becomes. Its when you start down the road defining who gets what, and how much, and making sure no one gets something they shouldnt, based on your criteria, that things get complicated.

Banking industry incompetence led to the biggest economic recession since the great depression - really cant get more incompetent than that.

Reactions: 2 people
Sep 2013
On a hill
Nope. Employers offer a choice: you can use their group plan or decline and find a plan that better suits your needs. The choice is yours.
I have never worked for a company that would pay for health insurance outside of their group plan.

Reactions: 1 person

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu
In most cases, employers pay for health insurance, and a large share of those employers is government, so you want employers to decide what is right, and wrong for you. That would include government making the decisions for many.
In most cases employers are self insured and pay for a portion of their employees health care. The federal and all state governments are self funded.

Jan 2014
south
In most cases employers are self insured and pay for a portion of their employees health care. The federal and all state governments are self funded.
so the feds and the states use taxpayer money to cover insurance? how convenient for them.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
No, it does not. It demonstrates you set up a number of assumptions in an attempt to demonstrate a predetermined conclusion that is ultimately irrelevant whether true or not.
This lacks meaning. A hypothetical was given that essentially asked, "would you rather 1) take a risk that you might have to pay me $(x), or 2) just pay me (x) right now?" And people are answering "well, that depends." I mean, what?! Between the two options, any rational person would rather take a risk of having to pay (x) instead of just agreeing to pay (x).

Some people seem to either have an irrational fear of high deductibles mixed with an insufficient awareness of what their premiums are costing them, or perhaps they have bullshit reasons for pretending high deductible plans are inherently and necessarily "crappy" even though they know better.

Reactions: 2 people
Jan 2014
south
This lacks meaning. A hypothetical was given that essentially asked, "would you rather 1) take a risk that you might have to pay me $(x), or 2) just pay me (x) right now?" And people are answering "well, that depends." I mean, what?! Between the two options, any rational person would rather take a risk of having to pay (x) instead of just agreeing to pay (x).

Some people seem to either have an irrational fear of high deductibles mixed with an insufficient awareness of what their premiums are costing them, or perhaps they have bullshit reasons for pretending high deductible plans are inherently and necessarily "crappy" even though they know better.
well, that's because they have no way to afford the total they may be required to pay. I'm thinking almost all were looking at this from their individual points of view - and no normal person could afford $15,000 dollars in a year for health costs. not everybody is filthy rich.

Reactions: 1 person