Whitaker, new acting AG, public Trump defender & Mueller detractor--must RECUSE himself. (Member of RW Koch funded group to attack DEMS)

Jul 2015
Florida
Apparently this guy has been a talking head and op ed writer saying the MUELLER probe was illegal. Also a member of a KOCH funded group who spreads 'misinformation (lies) who threw shade on Sessions when Sessions lied (under oath) about Russian contacts during the campaign. More recently he/it help promulgate rumors about Kavanaugh's accuser.

Here are five things to know about the new acting attorney general. (from the HILL)

Whitaker criticized the Mueller probe

Before joining the Justice Department, Whitaker frequently criticized the very probe he will now be overseeing.

Whitaker has accused the special counsel’s investigation of going "too far," while calling on Rosenstein to "limit the scope" of the investigation.

"The president is absolutely correct. Mueller has come up to a red line in the Russia 2016 election-meddling investigation that he is dangerously close to crossing," Whitaker wrote in an op-ed for CNN in August 2017.

Whitaker also previously wrote an op-ed in The Hill defending the president for firing former FBI Director James Comey, while blasting DOJ officials in the Obama administration for failing to examine scandals at the time when Barack Obama was president....

5 things to know about new acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker

BUSTED: Trump’s new acting Attorney General’s linked to secretive anti-Dem group

BOB BRIGHAM
07 NOV 2018 AT 22:40 ET

Matt Whitaker and Sen. Ted Cruz (Twitter)

Newly-installed acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker lead a mysterious right-wing organization The Daily Beast reported Wednesday.

Whitaker worked as executive director of the Foundation for Accountability and Civic Trust (FACT), which defended Attorney General Jeff Sessions for telling the United States Senate mistruths about meetings with Russians during confirmation hearings.

“The statement was blasted out to reporters by CRC Public Relations, a conservative group based in Alexandria, Virginia, which represented FACT and Whitaker throughout 2017, according to press releases,” The Beast explained. “More recently, CRC faced scrutiny and criticism during Justice Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation process for reportedly stoking media interest in a discredited conspiracy theory about Kavanaugh’s chief accuser.”

FACT was an “organization which served primarily to level ethics complaints against Democrats.”

“The organization’s funding is opaque: In 2014, it received $600,000 from a fund called DonorsTrust, whose donors are mostly anonymous, but for Charles Koch,” The Beastnoted.

Read the full article.

Last edited:

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
there's this too....
In another potential Mueller tie, Whitaker is friends with Sam Clovis
Sam Clovis, who previously served as the Trump campaign's co-chairman, tapped Whitaker to serve as his chairman during a bid to be Iowa’s state treasurer in 2014.
Whitaker, who was then a managing partner of Whitaker Hagenow & Gustoff LLP, a Des Moines-based law firm, praised Clovis at the time for being an experienced public servant, according to reports.
“When the opportunity came for me to have my name placed on the ballot as the Republican nominee for Treasurer of State, Matt became the logical person to chair my campaign committee,” Clovis reportedly said in a statement at the time.Clovis, however, has also become entangled in Mueller’s probe, prompting some critics to claim these ties create a conflict of interest for Whitaker to oversee the Mueller probe.
The Washington Post reported earlier this year that Clovis was the campaign official who encouraged George Papadopoulos to set up an “off the record” meeting with Russian officials.
5 things to know about new acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker

Jul 2015
Florida
Aww... Good luck with this one.
3 federal prosecutors, 2 Watergater's (including a Nixon lawyer who who WENT TO JAIL), and a presidential historian said he must recuse himself. I guess they know better than Trump and you.

Hell, Trump went around the 'org' chart at Justice to handpick this guy. If he DISCUSSED with this replacement, NOT recusing himself, that's OBSTRUCTION of justice. Do not pass go, do not collect $200....

PS Remember DEMOCRATS can SUBPOENA the new AG, under oath, and ask if told Trump he would not recuse himself. Of course he can always lie.

Jul 2015
Florida
The investigation will go on. We had an election; it is ordained.
I'm very worried about the in between. I don'tunderstand 'under the rules of engagement' what can be done during a lame duck session. I'm sure TRUMP wants to fire him NOW. If I were Mueller I'd lock everything up and down. Everyone who knows anything thinks he could well have carefully spread this around to various jurisdictions and may well have a whole package of grand jury INDICTMENTS at the ready in case he is fired. The judges can unseal them and proceed.

During the SAT night massacre of Watergate fame, the special prosecutor's (or whatever it was called then) team continued to come to work.

Dec 2015
SoCal
I'm very worried about the in between. I don't really understand 'under the rules of engagement' what can be done during a lame duck session. I'm sure TRUMP wants to fire him NOW. But if I were Mueller I'd lock everything up and down. Everyone who knows anything thinks he could well have carefully spread this around to various jurisdictions and may well have a whole package of grand jury INDICTMENTS at the ready in case he is fired. The judges can unseal them and proceed.
I understand your impatience. If Trump has his lackey shut down Mueller's investigation, it is yet further evidence of obstruction of justice, and Schiff will be in charge of investigating the affair when the new Democratic House is sworn in come January. We will simply have to wait.

In fact, we might actually gain by biding our time while Trump is swinging in the wind.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
3 federal prosecutors, 2 Watergater's (including a Nixon lawyer who who WENT TO JAIL), and a presidential historian said he must recuse himself. I guess they know better than Trump and you.

Hell, Trump went around the 'org' chart at Justice to handpick this guy. If he DISCUSSED with this replacement, NOT recusing himself, that's OBSTRUCTION of justice. Do not pass go, do not collect $200....

PS Remember DEMOCRATS can SUBPOENA the new AG, under oath, and ask if told Trump he would not recuse himself. Of course he can always lie.
For obstruction of justice, you need a crime that was obstructed from being justly prosecuted.

Just like you can't be arrested for resisting arrest. You have to be under arrest for there to be the addition of resisting arrest.

Dec 2014
Brisbane, Qld. Australia
For obstruction of justice, you need a crime that was obstructed from being justly prosecuted.
Could it not apply to attempted manipulation of an investigation? Wow, these pages are all over the place today. Is anyone else having problems with the page size and it being too far to one side? I have to keep refreshing the page to centre it.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
Could it not apply to attempted manipulation of an investigation? Wow, these pages are all over the place today. Is anyone else having problems with the page size and it being too far to one side? I have to keep refreshing the page to centre it.
Site issues - haven't noticed.

For obstruction of justice, yes, I suppose, if Trump got a mole put into the investigation to introduce some false evidence or otherwise taint the investigation.

Pretty sure if the boss walks in and says "show me your cards", that it wouldn't qualify.