White Email Lobbying

Sep 2005
[quote name='Stinger' date='21 August 2009 - 02:00 PM' timestamp='1250877650' post='9087']

Fox is reporting they came from this Gov info .com website. They say yes they do mass mailings for the government and they get the email and the list FROM the government, they do not produce the list. So how did the names get on the list?

[/quote]

I'm not arguing that it's potentially a total dick move, but even if the whitehouse took the names and sold them to kuwaittee refugees, they are more or less legal. The SPAMming laws in this country are rather liberal, likely because most SPAM comes outside of the country.

Dec 2006
[quote name='PoliticalHotwire' date='21 August 2009 - 09:07 PM' timestamp='1250903269' post='9290']

I'm not arguing that it's potentially a total dick move, but even if the whitehouse took the names and sold them to kuwaittee refugees, they are more or less legal. The SPAMming laws in this country are rather liberal, likely because most SPAM comes outside of the country.

[/quote]

If the spam comes from outside the country, then it doesn't matter WHAT our laws say because they're not enforceable on extra-national entities.

I would also observe that a significant portion of the spam I receive is some variation on the Nigerian 419 scam, and is illegal here in any event.

Mar 2007
[quote name='johnlocke' date='21 August 2009 - 05:27 PM' timestamp='1250893640' post='9248']

Still waiting for you to name the part of Title 18 USC you are claiming the Administration violated, Stinger.

I know you can't find it, because it doesn't exist, but it's fun to watch you bloviate and squirm.

[/quote]

I quoted you from the from Press Secretary to Bush that using public funds to lobby a political position would be in violation of the law. Got anything to refute what she stated? Also from the ACLU that sending such unsolicited emails may violate law. Got anything to refute them?

And the White House has now taken steps to prevent such emails being sent out and pulled the plug on the "flag" website, so it seems they also know they are not allowed to do this.

So if you have something that says it is OK post it. And in the meantime let's have a full investigation to find out how those email addresses were collect, whom they came from, who put them on the list, and exactly what laws were violated.

But let me ask you have you bothered to look yourself, like maybe Part One, Chapter 93, Sec. 1913? The emails were design to get the receivers to influence their congressman to adopt Obama's political position.

And then there is this back from the Bush administration when the some in the WH used third party email servers to lobby via email

http://www.citizensforethics.org/node/27380/print

Well in this case Axelrod and the WH used a third party to send out these emails.

So there's lot's of questions as to how the address we gathered, who put the list together, how much did they pay for this political lobbying and more.