White House announces 2 executive orders on gun control

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
The WH today announced two new executive orders on gun control..The first will clarify who is mentally ill, while the second proposed by the Department of Health and Human Services, would allow some medical organizations more leeway to report “limited information necessary to help keep guns out of potentially dangerous hands” to the federal background check system. Thoughts?

White House announces two new 'executive actions' on guns - First Read

Reactions: 3 people
Oct 2013
Acadiana
I think you and I posted almost simultaneously.... can we get the mods to merge the threads?

Aug 2012
While I am not opposed to the concepts involved in these EOs, I am against these kinds of Presidential legislative overreach. This is Congress' purview...

Reactions: 1 person

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
While I am not opposed to the concepts involved in these EOs, I am against these kinds of Presidential legislative overreach. This is Congress' purview...
Yeah but we don't have one of those "Congress" things anymore.

Reactions: 3 people
Oct 2013
Acadiana
The WH today announced two new executive orders on gun control..The first will clarify who is mentally ill, while the second proposed by the Department of Health and Human Services, would allow some medical organizations more leeway to report “limited information necessary to help keep guns out of potentially dangerous hands” to the federal background check system. Thoughts?

White House announces two new 'executive actions' on guns - First Read
When phrases like "clarify who is mentally ill" start coming out of a Government office, I start to get very nervous....

Reactions: 5 people
Feb 2011
happyfunville
The only way The Great Divider can get anything done nowadays is by executive odor. Reap/sow.

Snikitz

Former Staff
Mar 2011
Split between Minnesota and New Orleans
About time. Cue the outrage about Obama using the Execute Order option.
Why do we have a house and senate if our dear leader is going to rule by executive decision?

I don't really disagree with WHAT he is doing, I disagree with HOW he is doing it. With this as an example, a GWB type president would have no problem issuing a executive order banning gay marriage. Why not do it that way? Obama blows off the judicial process weekly. (Before people freak..... I don's support banning gay marriage - its just an example of why a president should issue very few executive orders.)

Reactions: 1 person

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Why do we have a house and senate if our dear leader is going to rule by executive decision?

I don't really disagree with WHAT he is doing, I disagree with HOW he is doing it. With this as an example, a GWB type president would have no problem issuing a executive order banning gay marriage. Why not do it that way? Obama blows off the judicial process weekly. (Before people freak..... I don's support banning gay marriage - its just an example of why a president should issue very few executive orders.)
What do you think the EO is for?