Who are your top three candidates?

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
And here’s why I disagree — and why I am glad they are not top-tier candidates.

HuffPo is making it more than it seems. I do not believe the Saudis supported al-Qaeda, but I do believe the Royal family had been reluctant to take on the Wahhabists and turned a blind eye to some of their terrorism just like they did to some of the Wahhabist ”charities” which, while doing some good works, also funded terrorism in the same way Hamas did by setting up a charity to feed charity then turn around and supply them suicide belts.

The US itself is guilty of a “failure of imagination” and taking the al-Qaeda threat too lightly. This doesn’t mean I’m buying into any conspiracy theories. Let’s not forget that the Republicans were after Slick Willie and accused him of wagging the dog by launching cruise missile strikes at al-Qaeda in retaliation for terrorist bombings of US embassies. There was no conspiracy, just idiocy and short-sightedness on the part of American politicians.

Reactions: Tedminator
Mar 2019
Portland, OR
I do believe I have my final answer.

1. Pete Buttigieg
2. Amy Klobuchar
3. Kamala Harris

I adjusted those standings over the past several months based on what was possible, in my estimation. Pete is doing very well in Iowa, and Iowa really does matter. Time will tell as to the rest of it.

I will vote for anyone who wins the nomination. Even if at least three of them make my skin crawl.

And if it’s not Pete, I strongly hope that he is either the VP or the secretary of state.

Mine are:
1: Buttigieg
2: Biden
3: Klobuchar

The most moderate dems I could find with any chance of winning.

Reactions: BDBoop
Sep 2016
My own world
HuffPo is making it more than it seems. I do not believe the Saudis supported al-Qaeda, but I do believe the Royal family had been reluctant to take on the Wahhabists and turned a blind eye to some of their terrorism just like they did to some of the Wahhabist ”charities” which, while doing some good works, also funded terrorism in the same way Hamas did by setting up a charity to feed charity then turn around and supply them suicide belts.

The US itself is guilty of a “failure of imagination” and taking the al-Qaeda threat too lightly. This doesn’t mean I’m buying into any conspiracy theories. Let’s not forget that the Republicans were after Slick Willie and accused him of wagging the dog by launching cruise missile strikes at al-Qaeda in retaliation for terrorist bombings of US embassies. There was no conspiracy, just idiocy and short-sightedness on the part of American politicians.

I'm still of the opinion that U.S intelligence not only knew something was coming but they did tell Cheney who in turn sat on the info without telling George W. Cheney thought he could turn it into political gain. Rally around the president at a time like that and then leverage it into legislation he wanted passed plus send big money to defence industries. In his sick mind I believe he thought it was going to be something like a car bomb or maybe small planes killing a hand full of people. I don't think he expected the big ass planes and that kind of destruction.

raj

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
That's about where I am, except I would vote for any of them with Biden and Bernie being the two I have the most reservations about, both due to age and Biden's "work with the Republicans" crap. I've seen that in action enough times to consider it just giving the private sector large enough payouts to get legislation passed that has a minute benefit for everyday Americans in it. In the past 30 years the worst legislation we have had passed was bipartisan. Crime bill, deregulation, Iraq War Authorization, all forms of corporate welfare, trade agreements, WTO, media consolidation, prescription drug legislation, war on drugs, Patriot Act, there's more but you get the gist.

I like Warren a lot because she's got plans instead of platitudes, but in reality, she won't be able to enact a whole lot of stuff. However I think we have to try on some issues to go as far left as possible, and if compromise comes in the form of lowering expectations without budget busting payoffs to the private sector and sacrificing quality of services for we the people, I'll be happy for that.

However, I consider both Klobuchar & Buttigieg moderates without a pro-big business agenda so I'd be fine with either or both on the ticket.

Harris is okay, but I worry about her tendency to appeal to people from the heart instead of her intellect but she'd be a great VP for any of the candidates, and most of the candidates I'd love to see in cabinet positions. Despite the fact we have almost too many people running this time, I see it as a good thing because then diversity in tone and policy leaves the door open to new ideas instead of the same old Democratic politics which I feel Hillary Clinton represented and many people are sick of.
I like your reasoning, but I can't help taking a handicapper's view of this race.

As much as I like Buttigieg, I don't think I'd want to roll the dice on an openly gay candidate in this political environment (apologies to anyone offended by my bluntness). I also like Klobuchar a lot and think she'd make a wonderful president. But I have serious reservations about her ability to campaign effectively against Trump. Harris has great prosecutorial skills, but she's weak on policy, and comes off as a little too angry at times. I also like Booker a lot, but it doesn't appear that he has any momentum behind him. Bernie is Bernie. And Biden just scares the shit out of me.

Out of all of them, I actually feel best about Warren. She's very strong on policy, is a savvy campaigner, speaks intelligently, and would make the tangerine nightmare look like the idiot he is every time she speaks in a complete sentence (which is always). Yes, she has some lofty, perhaps pie-in-the-sky, positions. But she's not Bernie, and seems to understand that she will need to compromise with Congress in order to accomplish anything.

Reactions: Blueneck
Dec 2018
the Heart of America
I'm still of the opinion that U.S intelligence not only knew something was coming but they did tell Cheney who in turn sat on the info without telling George W. Cheney thought he could turn it into political gain. Rally around the president at a time like that and then leverage it into legislation he wanted passed plus send big money to defence industries. In his sick mind I believe he thought it was going to be something like a car bomb or maybe small planes killing a hand full of people. I don't think he expected the big ass planes and that kind of destruction.
Of course US intelligence knew something was up. We’ve been under attack for years: Terrorism in the United States - Wikipedia

I strongly doubt that Cheney would line up 3000 Americans to be slaughtered, but I could see him putting reports of another terrorist hijacking plot on the back burner while he focused on Iraq. Let’s not forget that all kinds of terrorist plots, both inside the US and outside, flow into the WH daily.

Reactions: Eve1
Dec 2018
the Heart of America
The odds favor Trump, Warren or Biden to win, in that order.

Who I'd like to win would be men or women with integrity and who put country over party, the Constitution over everything. None of those people are running, but I'd take James Mattis, John Kelly, Jim Webb. I like Rubio and Buttigieg, but think they'd do better as VP for a couple of terms before becoming President.