Who Cares If George HW Bush And Bill Clinton Are Friends? Not Everything Is Political

Wonderer

May 2014
Missouri
Who Cares If George HW Bush And Bill Clinton Are Friends? Not Everything Is Political
RedState
Posted at 11:37 am on April 11, 2017 by Jay Caruso

<Excerpt>:

The friendship between George HW Bush and Bill Clinton is one that goes back to the time after Clinton won the 1992 election and was in the midst of the transition. People have thought this to be strange considering how the two campaigns went at each other during the campaign.

It’s not an unheard of phenomenon. Unfortunately, we live in a hyper-partisan culture where people allow politics to end relationships and friendships. Over the weekend, Bill Clinton tweeted the following:

https://twitter.com/billclinton/status/851196983683551232/photo/1

I love this. Here are two men from two completely different backgrounds, political philosophies, and world views yet they have a friendship that has lasted 25 years. Such a thing gets celebrated outside of politics. However, people on both sides (not all of them) reacted as though this was a meeting of two monsters and neither should be friends with the other.

Read the rest here.

Reactions: 8 people
Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
RedState

<Excerpt>:

The friendship between George HW Bush and Bill Clinton is one that goes back to the time after Clinton won the 1992 election and was in the midst of the transition. People have thought this to be strange considering how the two campaigns went at each other during the campaign.

It’s not an unheard of phenomenon. Unfortunately, we live in a hyper-partisan culture where people allow politics to end relationships and friendships. Over the weekend, Bill Clinton tweeted the following:

I love this. Here are two men from two completely different backgrounds, political philosophies, and world views yet they have a friendship that has lasted 25 years. Such a thing gets celebrated outside of politics. However, people on both sides (not all of them) reacted as though this was a meeting of two monsters and neither should be friends with the other.

Read the rest here.
Agreed. One of my best friends was so far to the right he thought Dick Cheney was a moderate. We were great friends, I gave the eulogy at his funeral.

Reactions: 4 people
Oct 2013
USA
They are similar. GW is actually left leaning on many social issues that Clinton believes in. Philosophically though most don't recognize it they do have some similarities in the social liberal arena.

Oct 2013
USA
For some people, yes, EVERYTHING IS POLITICAL!
Which is really outdated thinking considering we all have family members and loved ones who vote however they vote. Doesn't change the bond. It took me years to understand that my own mom was a pacifist. She hid it with the best stews and hugs on planet earth. I guess I forgot to ask.

Reactions: 4 people
Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
RedState

<Excerpt>:

Read the rest here.
Both good guys. Both served admirable tenures as President.

With so much (unique) common experience it shouldn't be a surprise they have bonded together.

Reactions: 2 people
Jul 2015
Florida
What you didn't mention is that CLINTON made the outreaches towards BUSH initially. Even the wonderful old patrician who wrote kind letters to friends and foes alike over the years was as partisan as CLINTON on any of his 'partisan' days.

Not to mention the old man HIRED and RETAINED Lee Atwater and KARL ROVE. Both human SCUM! (Not just political scum). The old man wanted to win. Decency be damned. Karl Rove moved from the father to the son. The rest is history.

Jul 2015
Florida
Both good guys. Both served admirable tenures as President.

With so much (unique) common experience it shouldn't be a surprise they have bonded together.
I've always believed BUSH was a surrogate father to Clinton who desperately needed a father figure.

Last edited:
Jul 2015
Florida
Which is really outdated thinking considering we all have family members and loved ones who vote however they vote. Doesn't change the bond. It took me years to understand that my own mom was a pacifist. She hid it with the best stews and hugs on planet earth. I guess I forgot to ask.
Or because she was a 'woman' you didn't think to ask or her opinion didn't matter as much? That's not a personal hit to you. That was (is) reality. My father felt precisely that way about my mother. Unfortunately these days, it likely is affecting 'family bonds'.