Who would you pick? (Nixon vs Trump)

Nixon or Trump for president?

• Total voters

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
Nixon was before my time, so I don't really know what it was like. Certainly read plenty about Watergate, as well as him opening China. He seems a mixed bag to me. He and Trump also are both reviled by left leaning folks. In an earlier thread I mentioned that most lefties would probably take Nixon over Trump, but I realized, I really have no idea... so, lefties... if you had a wayback machine and could press a button that would adjust 2016 to either Trump or Nixon being president... which button would you push?

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
Since I voted for Nixon twice, it would be hypocritical of me not to admit it. At least I can plead ignorance of his crimes both times. #Trumpcult does not even get that excuse, they knew in advance he was a POS douche canoe, and that is why they liked him, voted for him, and continue to support him, and will vote for him again.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
That's a tough choice. If it was before Watergate and all that I would probably choose Nixon. He did some things that no Republican would do today - Hell! No Democrat could do today! Like wage and price controls to deal with inflation and he created the EPA.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
I would pick Nixon.

Mind you, that's mainly because he's dead. Not only do dead men tell no tales... dead men make no governmental mistakes. Sure, you could argue "how proactive would a dead president be?" And I'm not saying you're wrong. But, how many mistakes would Nixon's corpse make? None. And none is a pretty small number.

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
I would pick Nixon.

Mind you, that's mainly because he's dead. Not only do dead men tell no tales... dead men make no governmental mistakes. Sure, you could argue "how proactive would a dead president be?" And I'm not saying you're wrong. But, how many mistakes would Nixon's corpse make? None. And none is a pretty small number.
Indeed. The twitter silence alone would be worth having a dead person be president.

Helena

Former Staff
Sep 2007
Maybe my user title will provide a clue.
I would pick Nixon.

This reminds me of the time I discovered American politics during the Bush days and I saw someone on another forum argue that Falco (of the "Rock Me, Amadeus" fame) would be the best candidate. "Sure, he's dead, but still far better than what's on offer!"

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Clearly, Nixon. As bad as he turned out to be on a personal level, as well as corrupt level, he was a lifelong dedicated public servant. Elected to the House, the Senate, twice to the Vice Presidency and twice to the Presidency - and that last despite his losses in '60 (the presidency to Kennedy) and '62 (the CA governorship to Pat Brown).

Richard Nixon - Wikipedia