Who would you pick? (Nixon vs Trump)

Nixon or Trump for president?

• Total voters
Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
You think Trump will do better? Really?

BTW, communism wasn't so great itself.
Russia never had communism. Stalin was a totalitarian dictator. So was Mao Tse-tung, in China.

So all we really know is, dictatorships are horrible.

Yes, I think Trump will do better than Nixon did. Not start a massive ground war, not try to undermine our democracy, not try to launch nuclear weapons.

Not a very high standard, but still. Trump is better.

(IMO, Hillary Clinton also would have bern as bad or worse than Nixon, and of course, far worse than Trump.)

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
LoL 14 to 1 for the I'm not a crook guy myself included.
Nixon at least understood government and the constitution. He handed over the tapes.
Donald would have burned them
Only Nixon would have MADE the tapes to begin with. Do you think Sam Giancotti recorded ambient voices in HIS home?

There are a lot of questions about those tapes, sure. But ultimately, Nixon's paranoia and complete willingness to sacrifice ANYONE else in order to save himself probably resulted in his impeachment more than other tactical errors he made.

Nov 2006
Nixon was part of the cadre' of Washington insiders who believed the Cold War was not winnable if the U.S. remained a free, open democracy. He was Eisenhower's VP and one of the architects of the Red Scare. (Along with RFK. It was a very peculiar time in this country.)

Nixon was 100% committed to planet-killing nuclear war with the USSR if there was no better way to halt the spread of communism.

He killed MILLIONS of Vietnamese and 50,000 American soldiers to reach a "peace with honor" that North Vietnam had offered since at least 1968.

And that really doesn't capture the sadism and savagery of Nixon. Agent orange, landmines, napalm, etc. The "secret" invasion of Cambodia and Laos.

The murder of almost all leaders of the black civil rights movement. The murder of American college kids at Kent State. Etc.

Nixon tried to launch nuclear weapons at least 5 times, including in the last hours of his presidency. He wanted to murder-suicide Planet Earth!

We came within a cat's whisker of literally losing everything.

Next to Nixon, Trump is just an unpleasant odor in the room.
what bullshit.

Nov 2006
Russia never had communism. Stalin was a totalitarian dictator. So was Mao Tse-tung, in China.

So all we really know is, dictatorships are horrible.

Yes, I think Trump will do better than Nixon did. Not start a massive ground war, not try to undermine our democracy, not try to launch nuclear weapons.

Not a very high standard, but still. Trump is better.

(IMO, Hillary Clinton also would have bern as bad or worse than Nixon, and of course, far worse than Trump.)
What "massive ground war" did Nixon start?

Nov 2006
So - The gosl of the left is to continue to double down on the hatred and vitriol...step up the hate speech...block and obstruct.

Okay - Keep under estimating Trump.

Great goal. Notice who didn't keep their seats in the senate (unless they were from hard far left la la land districts)

Please please keep revealing your true selves and give us another kangaroo lynch style fiasco before please
You are going to highlight the loss of one senate seat and not mention picking up about 30 in the house?

Jan 2011
San Diego, CA
You are going to highlight the loss of one senate seat and not mention picking up about 30 in the house?
Congrats to the Dems. Great job.

Glad we sealed up the Senate with some staunch conservatives.

Very happy this mid term did not look like so many in the past...as everyone knows, typically the opposing party of the President makes great strides at the mid term, this time the left made strides, just not great strides.

I expect the left to continue to try to bully their agenda...which is a pretty sad one. Hate Trump, blick, obstruct and try to investigate...so far what we've found with Trump is that he's consistently underestimated. He doesn't back down and when you try to politic him, like the left does so much...he bites right back. Go ahead and bring charges, he'llbring charges right back.

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
If Trump gets us into a war he knows we can't win & we lose 10k men & women per month as refuses to end it for fear of political backlash then I'll change my vote to Nixon.

Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
Nixon, As was said at the time, I wouldn't buy a used car from him. Even so, in his most desperate racist abyss of moral turpitude, he wasn't as bad as Trump

Nov 2006
If Trump gets us into a war he knows we can't win & we lose 10k men & women per month as refuses to end it for fear of political backlash then I'll change my vote to Nixon.
If Nixon got us into a war he knew we could not win & we lost 10k men & women per month as he refused to end it for fear of political backlash then I might consider changing it to trump but I doubt it.

Nixon took office in 1969, we had already been in Vietnam for years and about 36 of the 58 thousand troops had already been lost. I fail to see how you are apparently blaming him for "getting us into" that war.