Whoa! I Guess I Need To Start Listening To John Delaney!

Jan 2016
Colorado
OK, this guy is not very photogenic, and I really didn't know much of anything about him before reading this op-ed he wrote, but WOW! The things he is saying here are things that NEED to be said, to most of the other Democrats in the race for the nomination:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/09/opin...estore-capitalisms-promise-delaney/index.html

I believe in market-based capitalism. It is the greatest job creation, productivity and innovation machine ever created. The genius of America is that we allowed capitalism to work its magic while also moderating it with appropriate regulation, tax policy, workers' rights and the building of great societal infrastructure, including a safety net.

Goes on from there, much more at the link....

Jan 2016
Colorado
Three more strong paragraphs from Mr. Delaney's op-ed:

For decades the mainstream of the Democratic Party believed in free markets, a healthy private sector and free trade. We understood that you couldn't be pro-worker without also having places for workers to work, which required innovative and competitive businesses. But we also understood the need to build a strong safety net and a culture of opportunity.

For decades, the Democratic Party made the tough argument that we needed a market-based economy and strong social programs, working in tandem with regulations and worker protections. We called for a social compact to make sure that prosperity was shared and that opportunity expanded with each generation.

Democrats successfully argued that capitalism was stronger when we had top-notch infrastructure, meaningful investments in science and research, great public schools and workers who had the ability to buy the products being sold and the flexibility to start their own businesses.

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
I watched him earlier for his Town Hall on CNN. He seemed really stable and my husband liked him. All three of the Democratic candidates did a good job on the Town Halls.

Nov 2016
USA
He was my congressman before he decided not to run for Congress again and chose to focus on running for president. Before running for Congress, he was a self-made businessman, and I’m not aware of any scandals involving him.

If he doesn’t get the nomination, I hope he campaigns vigorously for the Dem nominee.

Jan 2016
Colorado
I watched him earlier for his Town Hall on CNN. He seemed really stable and my husband liked him. All three of the Democratic candidates did a good job on the Town Halls.
Could you move this thread to Political Discussions, please? I really meant to post it there, and I think it fits better there, since it will be a discussion of Mr. Delaney's political philosophy and how it differs from the other Democratic candidates.....

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
OK, this guy is not very photogenic, and I really didn't know much of anything about him before reading this op-ed he wrote, but WOW! The things he is saying here are things that NEED to be said, to most of the other Democrats in the race for the nomination:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/09/opin...estore-capitalisms-promise-delaney/index.html

I believe in market-based capitalism. It is the greatest job creation, productivity and innovation machine ever created. The genius of America is that we allowed capitalism to work its magic while also moderating it with appropriate regulation, tax policy, workers' rights and the building of great societal infrastructure, including a safety net.

Goes on from there, much more at the link....
Have been watching the town halls and such for the various candidates. Its gotten interesting thus far as few will mention capitalism and free trade. They are all brushing off free trade and even saying stuff like "well NAFTA and TPP were just plain bad." Its going to get interesting when we get to debates because trade is going to come up. Will they be anti trade and pro tariff? Delaney said he is a proud capitalist. So far he is the only one who has said that.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Have been watching the town halls and such for the various candidates. Its gotten interesting thus far as few will mention capitalism and free trade. They are all brushing off free trade and even saying stuff like "well NAFTA and TPP were just plain bad." Its going to get interesting when we get to debates because trade is going to come up. Will they be anti trade and pro tariff? Delaney said he is a proud capitalist. So far he is the only one who has said that.
I certainly like what the man is saying, and henceforth will be watching this guy MUCH more closely.

But...…..he's not very 'sexy'. Will women vote for a guy like this?

:cool::rolleyes::smirk::nerd:

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I certainly like what the man is saying, and henceforth will be watching this guy MUCH more closely.

But...…..he's not very 'sexy'. Will women vote for a guy like this?

:cool::rolleyes::smirk::nerd:
Probably not. He doesnt seem to have the "it" factor. Plus if he doesnt get his poll numbers up, he may not be able to participate in the democratic debates this June, that will effectively kill his chances at the presidency. All the talk today seems to be about Pete Buttigieg. He had a phenomenal town hall last night and people are really looking at him.