why are all dissidents suddenly "right wing extremists"?

Check out the wording of this story:

CNN) -- Two suspects accused of gunning down Arkansas police officers this week may have ties to extremist anti-government groups, two civil rights organizations say.Jerry R. Kane, 45, and his 16-year-old son Joseph Kane fatally shot two police officers and wounded two others during a wild shootout Thursday, according to Arkansas state police.

The father and son were shot and killed during the battle on the streets of West Memphis, Arkansas.

The Anti-Defamation League said the two suspects belonged to "an extreme right-wing movement that believes that virtually all existing government in the United States is illegitimate and which seeks to restore an idealized, minimalist government that never actually existed."

The Southern Poverty Law Center, a nonprofit civil rights organization, also said the two member are part of the "sovereign citizen" movement.

First of all, note the usual suspects - the ADL and the SDLC. Both of those organizations are well know to paint all dissidents into the "right wing extremist" corner.

Secondly, note that "sovereign citizens" are anything but right wing extremists. Many are in fact quite liberal in their political outlook. There is, in fact, no relationship between the concept of "illegitimate government" and wing-nuts right or left.

Thirdly, check out this little piece from Russian intelligence, tying the Kane shootout to the resignation of Adm. Dennis Blair: http://www.whatdoesitmean.com/index1373.htm

An interesting Foreign Intelligence Service (SVR) report prepared for Prime Minister Putin circulating in the Kremlin today states that Obama’s top spy chief Admiral Dennis Blair, abruptly resigned on Friday after the US President ordered the “immediate assassination†of an anti government dissident and his 16 year old son in the US State of Arkansas.

Hm... true? Probably not. Interesting theory though.

So, after reading through all this, what does it look like we have here? The scuttlebutt on Dennis Blair is that he locked horns with Leon Panetta over at CIA, and didn't have the clout within the Obama admnistration to expand the powers of DNI like he said he needed to get his job done. Admin has favored the CIA and given them the final say in overseas operations.

Meanwhile, there's this very odd story about the Kane family - like, why didn't they stop them in Colorado, as they were coming over the mountains in a sparsely populated area where they could have been nixed with almost no one knowing about it? Why did they have to wait till the middle of Arkansas?

Hm... there's more here than meets the eye, don't you think?

(Got to love the bit about the financial seminars though, you know what that's about, right?)

Sep 2007
[quote name='Lysander Spooner' date='27 May 2010 - 01:39 PM' timestamp='1274992791' post='155842']

First of all, note the usual suspects - the ADL and the SDLC. Both of those organizations are well know to paint all dissidents into the "right wing extremist" corner.

Secondly, note that "sovereign citizens" are anything but right wing extremists. Many are in fact quite liberal in their political outlook. There is, in fact, no relationship between the concept of "illegitimate government" and wing-nuts right or left.

[/quote]

You're right, the SPLC and ADL are the ones calling "sovereigns" right wingers. The FBI classifies them as a domestic terror threat. http://www.fbi.gov/page2/april10/sovereigncitizens_041310.html In fact the FBI says:

Sovereign citizens are often confused with extremists from the militia movement. But while sovereign citizens sometimes use or buy illegal weapons, guns are secondary to their anti-government, anti-tax beliefs. On the other hand, guns and paramilitary training are paramount to militia groups.

As for the leap to call them right wingers...anytime I see guns, as in guns used to kill the Aransas officers, and anti tax and anti government sentiment, I imagine something between the Tea Party and Hutarees. It was different in the 60's, but nowadays when we hear anti government, especially with the addition of anti tax, I think Glenn Beck, righties, or militia.

I'm with you right up to the point where you say many Sovereigns are quite liberal in their political outlook. I can't find that anywhere on the web.

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
It demonizes the right, and the idiot left will not want to dissent if it is all about right winged ideology. It is called group think, and it works well on the masses.

Sep 2007
[quote name='michaelr' date='27 May 2010 - 04:53 PM' timestamp='1275004432' post='155914']

It demonizes the right, and the idiot left will not want to dissent if it is all about right winged ideology. It is called group think, and it works well on the masses.

[/quote]

But righties are demons, and Satan is a conservative.

Apr 2007
Barely on the affluent side of abject poverty.
[quote name='Goldwater' date='27 May 2010 - 05:15 PM' timestamp='1275005745' post='155919']

[/quote]

And Jesus was a "love others as yourself" liberal. It always amazes me that people skip over the fact that there are nearly 2000 references to caring for the poor and/or unfortunate in the Bible. How is that ANYTHING but liberal?

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
[quote name='Mare Tranquillity' date='27 May 2010 - 07:34 PM' timestamp='1275014067' post='155962']

And Jesus was a "love others as yourself" liberal. It always amazes me that people skip over the fact that there are nearly 2000 references to caring for the poor and/or unfortunate in the Bible. How is that ANYTHING but liberal?

[/quote]

What? I'm shocked! You don't think Jesus would be a member of the Tea Party?

"Psst! Dude, what's with the long robe? They didn't wear those in 1776."

[quote name='Mare Tranquillity' date='27 May 2010 - 09:34 PM' timestamp='1275014067' post='155962']

[/quote]

Did Jesus advocate government programs?

Or did Jesus give and care for people because He wanted to?

I don't think Jesus got too involved in politics when He was on earth. Jesus wants us to willingly help and care for people.

Isn't it possible to help and care for people WITHOUT the government? The answer is yes.

Sep 2009
[quote name='Conservative15' date='27 May 2010 - 11:06 PM' timestamp='1275019587' post='155979']

Did Jesus advocate government programs?

Or did Jesus give and care for people because He wanted to?

I don't think Jesus got too involved in politics when He was on earth. Jesus wants us to willingly help and care for people.

Isn't it possible to help and care for people WITHOUT the government? The answer is yes.

[/quote]

Why do we have to have debates about what Jesus would do though? He was a great man and had many great virtues with which to live by, but that's more personal than anything else. Collectively, I think we need to start figuring out for ourselves what the best course of action is. Our priority should be to society, to humanity, and improving the human condition. The world we live in today is one of high technology, instant communication, and the people feel a need to use government to achieve certain goals for humanity. The object of the conservative should not be what to destroy, but what to conserve. Now, while I believe government can be a very valuable tool, I don't think the best place for that is in a centralized location. A decentralized government to handle the smaller problems would be more efficient there while the big problems, and the big picture would be managed by the central government. We know the federal government can't micromanage, so they should only establish the goal, and provide what they can to move towards that goal.

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
[quote name='Goldwater' date='27 May 2010 - 08:15 PM' timestamp='1275005745' post='155919']

[/quote]

Well, duh. You don't even need a link for that its so well established.

[quote name='Mare Tranquillity' date='27 May 2010 - 10:34 PM' timestamp='1275014067' post='155962']

[/quote]

Because he wanted you to give to the fucking poor. He didn't want the government taking shit from you and giving to the poor people that voted for them. Show me that verse Mare. Can't find a fucking mention of it can you? There's Jesus standing over a sick person going, "look people, this is the way it works. Your neighbor doesn't give enough. You need the government to come to their homes and force them to give. You need to take more from your neighbor because you care about the poor". Evil.

How arrogant do you people have to be to consider "charity" a uniquely liberal trait.

Fucking pretentious. This is why liberals will never be able to coexist with other people over the long run. You'll all eventually suit up in uniform and follow a supreme leader and kill the rest of us to protect your own laughably inflated self-image. Seriously - it is nonsense like the above that makes me really hate liberals.