Why Are American "Liberals" Failing Iranian Protesters?

Jul 2013
On a happy trail
Well, no. But there's a role we should play in addressing horrible human rights violations. Sadly, the foreign policies we actually adopt usually prop up the fascist dictators that oppress and slaughter their own people.

But American liberals should agitate for better.

IMO.
Go for it.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
That is a valid concern.
It is, I completely agree. But if we could muster up a fuck to give over the human rights violations committed by the Arab nations (among other areas of the world), we could have broken the back of OPEC and ME people would have literacy, health care, education, etc. Yanno -- a decent fucking standard of living. Not the fertile crescent for growing terrorists that plagues all of us.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
That is a valid concern.
It is, I completely agree. But if we could muster up a fuck to give over the human rights violations committed by the Arab nations (among other areas of the world), we could have broken the back of OPEC and ME people would have literacy, health care, education, etc. Yanno -- a decent fucking standard of living. Not the fertile crescent for growing terrorists that plagues all of us.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
That's absolutely true.
Naw. American power overseas hasn't been lost over diplomatic faux pax, no matter how severe they must seem to those we insulted. It's not like all our economic consumption and military power melted.

But it is not possible for America to be both a real democracy AND an imperialist empire.

Gore Vidal was right about that.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
We are responsible. The Ayatollah would not have come to power but for the hideous abuses of the Shah, who held power as a US puppet.

We do this evil shit all over the planet, and have done at least since WWII.
So let's stop.

Sep 2013
On a hill
Well, wives killed is not much difference but children, that is different.
Christian parents kill their children too.

[video=youtube;fnByMXrdvbY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnByMXrdvbY[/video]

Sep 2013
On a hill
Why would you think this? Any statements by protestors? Any pleas by protestors or their representatives? Since the driving force of these protests is ordinary and rural Iranians, the idea that they even THINK about the West is kind of weak, it seems to me. They are mad at their own government, and Iranians are as proud a people as any, with a history dating back to the ancient world. Maybe they expect to solve their own problems.
Iraq should have taught us what happens when we solve problems for them.

Reactions: 1 person
Sep 2013
On a hill
Well, no. But there's a role we should play in addressing horrible human rights violations. Sadly, the foreign policies we actually adopt usually prop up the fascist dictators that oppress and slaughter their own people.

But American liberals should agitate for better.

IMO.
MS 13 was created by our determination that El Salvador should not have a leftist government.