Why Are American "Liberals" Failing Iranian Protesters?

Sep 2013
On a hill
Interesting theory.
Its more than a theory.

Along with demonstrating how our messing in the internal affairs of other countries doesnt always go well, it also demonstrates why allowing kids in our country to grow up in poverty, in violent neighborhoods is not in our self interest.

MS 13 went global when we deported gang members back to their home countries - so we might want to reconsider that strategy too.

As much as we may like the idea of punishing, rather than giving those we consider to be undeserving, the support, and tools they need to be good, productive citizens just might not be good for us either.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
Iraq should have taught us what happens when we solve problems for them.
I really don't get Americans who think that if America just acted better, somehow, that problems in other parts of the world would just go away.

When someone says we could have "broken the back of OPEC" long ago by changing our oil consumption and thus make those countries' government serve their people better, I'd direct their attention to Venezuela, whose oil industry is on life-support with plunging revenue, but their government is more corrupt than ever before.

If you take a dictatorship and ruin its profitability, the result isn't better government. There are plenty of poor dictatorships. What was life like in the ME for Arabs before petroleum made them rich? Answer? Not better than now.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
Its more than a theory.

Along with demonstrating how our messing in the internal affairs of other countries doesnt always go well, it also demonstrates why allowing kids in our country to grow up in poverty, in violent neighborhoods is not in our self interest.

MS 13 went global when we deported gang members back to their home countries - so we might want to reconsider that strategy too.

As much as we may like the idea of punishing, rather than giving those we consider to be undeserving, the support, and tools they need to be good, productive citizens just might not be good for us either.
Thanks for elaborating and not just lashing out as many do.

There are a few extra pages about who constitutes ms-13, how they get their weapons, etc... however, That's just adding distinctions.

I'm somewhat impressed with how on point this is.

Mar 2019
California
Its more than a theory.

Sure like to change the subject ,no? I don't believe MS-13 are Iranians.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I am a pragmatist before anything and we need to discuss what "support" for the Iranian people means...exactly.

Take Syria as an example. I, as a Democrat, favor that we support the people of Syria in finding their end to a brutal regime.

Support for the Syrian people was there but was far short of was needed to bring about a regime change.
Not unrelated. The reason the Obama Administration didn't enforce the red line is because the Iranian government told them not to. Obama reportedly declined to enforce red line in Syria after Iran threatened to back out of nuclear deal

Jul 2019
Atlanta

American support for the Iranian protests must go beyond rhetoric | TheHill

I have a theory as to why American "liberals" do not line up solidly behind those in the ME who seek to advance the cause of human rights for people living in Muslim nations: because it would force them to reexamine their brainless support for the terrorists who incessantly assault Israel, and take all the fun out of making ideological housepets out of the worst terrorists on the planet today.

It is a sad, sad, sad day in America when the citizens of other nations rise up and demand dignity and freedom, and that plea falls on deaf "liberal" ears here.

HELP THESE PEOPLE. I don't know whether we can donate directly to them. Probably not. But AT A MINIMUM, demand the U.S. impose trade sanctions on Iran for its oppression of the protesters.

No matter WHAT your political views might be, this is unequivocally the right thing to do.

Your thoughts?
We have imposed trade sanctions on Iran.