Why are we so polarized?

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
I think part of the reason why we have become divided is we are isolated, for the most part, from our neighbors, our community. Many Americans who use to go outside and talk to neighbors, have block parties, enjoy community activities, no long do this. Many Americans now spend their time on the computer, or they are watching Netflix or playing video games. Not much time for anything else.

To be honest, I don't know my neighbors, never see them outside, never have a conversation with them, never interact. Well, there was one exception. The people who lived next door to me for 20 years, just moved. We did interact once in awhile. He's a police officer, has a wife and young daughter. Nice people. I don't know their politics. Never asked.
Definitely a problem!

Reactions: bajisima

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
I think part of the reason why we have become divided is we are isolated, for the most part, from our neighbors, our community. Many Americans who use to go outside and talk to neighbors, have block parties, enjoy community activities, no long do this. Many Americans now spend their time on the computer, or they are watching Netflix or playing video games. Not much time for anything else.

To be honest, I don't know my neighbors, never see them outside, never have a conversation with them, never interact. Well, there was one exception. The people who lived next door to me for 20 years, just moved. We did interact once in awhile. He's a police officer, has a wife and young daughter. Nice people. I don't know their politics. Never asked.
This is true for many. Luckily not for everyone.

Get out there and meet some people. When people want to talk politics I say the same thing over and over: "I don't know enough about that subject to be interested. How about those Broncos, they looking good this year?"

People usually get the point.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
If we want to make a dent in removing some of the polarization, we can simply be as kind as possible to people, especially if their views don't align with ours. Especially if they get aggravated and hostile.

Try it for a day. Then if it goes well, do a week. And so on.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida

Get out there and meet some people. When people want to talk politics I say the same thing over and over: "I don't know enough about that subject to be interested. How about those Broncos, they looking good this year?"

I'm much more careful talking politics in my community.
Some people get upset so it's just not worth it.

Jan 2016
Colorado
History repeats itself every 100 years or so as new generations dont remember. We are likely heading into that based on worldwide events. US isnt alone in this.
Mark Twain: History may not repeat itself, but it rhymes.

In my novel, 2029 is going to be a WORSE year than 1929......…...…...

Reactions: bajisima
Jan 2016
Colorado
Many people do not want to have a serious dialogue with their political counterparts. Too many are just prone to pernicious outbursts at those who don’t march in lockstep. Not enough people want to seek common ground or an area of agreement. We were given two ears and one mouth because listening is twice as important as speaking. Now, discourse is closing both ears and using ones mouth like a flamethrower against those who dare challenge ones philosophy.
It is difficult to have a serious dialogue with people who call you a 'Marxist', even after you have immediately stipulated that you are a very vehement anti-Marxist.

That has happened to me here. On more than one occasion.

Jan 2016
Colorado

I very much like the Broncos' new head coach, Vic Fangio. My kind of guy.

:cool::nerd:

Reactions: johnflesh