Why are we so polarized?

Jan 2016
Colorado
Thats one thing I would miss terribly if I left New Hampshire. So many are into politics that its contagious. I wasnt big into it until I moved here and then it became easy to go to town halls, debates etc. The candidates come so often that its nice. Then the next day everybody usually has an opinion. I have been to 2 debates here and they were awesome. Got to see the candidates without the cameras on.
New England in general probably does have the strongest and longest-established tradition of civic political culture in the nation. Goes all the way back to well before an exemplar like John Adams.

Jan 2016
Colorado
All of the mods have a sense of humor. Sarcasm is hard to convey in the written word because we don't see body language and things can get misinterpreted by newer members and lurkers. The last thing you want to happen to a forum with established members who have long term posting relationships is watch a forum turn into a racist, vile, garbage pit, like the echo chambers. I know a couple that are complete trash holes because of this.

I learned my lesson the hard way....teaching online. I had a student send me a email freaking out about the work load and I responded with RELAX as my first word of the paragraph. I thought I was being nurturing, she took it as patronizing. It is all in the interpretation. You also have to realize that mods don't make decisions on their own...they are voted on and need 3 votes for action. Not all of us agree with each other but majority rules.
You have one mod who was incapable of recognizing sarcasm even when it was slapping him silly in the face with no less than SEVEN smiley emoticons, including two of the :rolleyes: rolling eyes variety. AND with a deliberately misspelled word, to boot. THAT mod does NOT understand sarcasm. Even after he was TOLD that it was an obvious example of sarcasm, and by another poster as well as me.

Shrug.

As I said, EVERY PH mod should have at least a juvenile or adolescent understanding of sarcasm.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
New England in general probably does have the strongest and longest-established tradition of civic political culture in the nation. Goes all the way back to well before an exemplar like John Adams.
Its also stubborn to an extent. People actually will refuse to vote for a candidate if they dont come to certain restaurants or parades and shake hands. Local papers get in a dither if they dont come for photoshoots. It also isnt uncommon to go into someones home and see photos of candidates around their homes.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Its also stubborn to an extent. People actually will refuse to vote for a candidate if they dont come to certain restaurants or parades and shake hands. Local papers get in a dither if they dont come for photoshoots. It also isnt uncommon to go into someones home and see photos of candidates around their homes.
Yes. New England simply has a very distinctive political culture, as compared to the rest of America. Just think how different New England Republicans have seemed to be to Republicans in the rest of the country, over the past several decades.

Mar 2018
Florida
You are so right. One thing we try to do is get together as a family on Christmas Eve and exchange gifts. Also, we frequently visit our grand kids, who live within a half hour or so, and some of them come and stay with my wife and I. We have a grand daughter with us now. One of my other grand daughters just went back home. She stayed with us for two weeks.

So, we do try and keep in touch and we have been to the Outer Banks a few times, and spent a week there in a nice beach house. Last August, the whole family stayed in a beach house, and everybody had a blast.
Those days are precious.

Mar 2018
Florida
I am one of the people who no longer puts bumper stickers on my car. Not of ANY kind.
I agree 100%. I used to enjoy putting one up. I also found it interesting looking at other stickers on a car in front of me, trying to connect the dots in my mind with all their stickers. Now it’s even dangerous to advertise how proud you are of your child’s honor grades in such and such school. Predators could follow. No wonder we are polarized when even small innocuous things become such issues. I miss the innocence we used to have.

Mar 2019
In Sunday School with Hognoxious
I'm sure he does. Does it not bother you that our President Trump is a completely Phony Patriot, who doesn't even know the words to the National Anthem, and is a draft-dodger to boot? Doesn't that bother you? Trump is deliberately using these issues of the flags to DIVIDE America. That is what makes him so damnable.

I believe that Trump loves America.

Does Trump's past sins bother me? Yes. But I believe he wants the best for America and he was by far the best candidate we had to choose from