Why do Republicans assume that Democrats are opposed to wage increases?

Jun 2014
United States
I've seen several of these posts (Bastards at So-and-So-Store to Increase Minimum Pay) made on numerous Internet forum sites in the past day or so. Mind you, I haven't opened any of these threads, because they were all posted by users that are known to habitually post nothing but flame-bait. Still, I have to wonder how a Republican could view this as a winning issue for their preferred political party.

I can't imagine why a Democrat would be opposed to a retail outlet increasing the wages that they pay their workers. If anything, this is a news item that Democrats should be trumpeting. It indicates two things happening within our society, both of which the Democratic Party should be quite proud of. Firstly, it indicates that our economy continues to steadily improve, in spite of the previous administration having left office in the midst of the worst economic recession that we have witnessed since the Great Depression. Secondly, it drives home the point that our minimum wage does not reflect our current economic conditions and that it should have long ago been raised significantly in order to reflect both inflation and the increases in worker productivity that we have witnessed since the last minimum wage bill was passed by Congress back in 2007. That private companies are voluntarily increasing the minimum wages that they are offering to their employees only proves that they understand the magnitude of the widespread public approval for raising the federal minimum wage, and that they are getting ahead of the curve in relation to obstinate politicians who cling to partisan ideology over the wishes of their own constituents.

Perhaps, having not actually opened these threads, I am making an incorrect assumption as to the motivation for posting them? Are they actually intended to invite other Republicans to join in bemoaning these retailers for buckling to pressure from public opinion, rather than sticking to their guns and maintaining the lowest possible wages and benefits that the market can bear?

I just don't get it. We're I a Republican, I'd avoid this issue like the plague. It doesn't really reflect well upon either the Republican Party or their ideology.

Amelia

Former Staff
Jun 2014
Wisconsin
If I understand it correctly, the assumption isn't that Democrats oppose wage increases.

It's that Democrats love to hate Wal-Mart and will be frustrated by Wal-Mart taking away one of Democrats' reasons to be mad at them.

Reactions: 1 person
Jun 2014
United States
If I understand it correctly, the assumption isn't that Democrats oppose wage increases.

It's that Democrats love to hate Wal-Mart and will be frustrated by Wal-Mart taking away one of Democrats' reasons to be mad at them.

Oh, is that it? Sort of like taking the political position of being a fan of a particular movie, or not?

Reminds me of grade-school kids fussing over whether Batman is cooler than Superman. I think that it is a misconception that "Democrats love to hate Walmart". Certainly, some folks don't care much for the way that Walmart stores displace local merchants, but that's more regional than partisan, I suspect. I know plenty of Democrats who work for Walmart. If they hated them, then they'd probably choose to work elsewhere, don't you think?

Amelia

Former Staff
Jun 2014
Wisconsin
Five minutes in the penalty box for you.

Shades of gray are not allowed in the partisan food fight.

You know better than that. *wags finger*

Jun 2014
United States
Five minutes in the penalty box for you.

Shades of gray are not allowed in the partisan food fight.

You know better than that. *wags finger*

Yeah... I assumed that these threads were intended as partisan food fights, and that's why I never opened one of them.

Still... Seems like a losing fight for the Republicans. I would have expected a left-wing agitator to have posted them instead.

Apr 2014
Maryland

Wow what projection. You see it that way and you cannot possibly see it as Democrats being glad that the workers are getting more money. Not everyone is as mean-spirited. You see us as hating Walmart and I guess I have to see you as hating their workers getting paid livable wages

Jun 2014
United States
Wow what projection. You see it that way and you cannot possibly see it as Democrats being glad that the workers are getting more money. Not everyone is as mean-spirited. You see us as hating Walmart and I guess I have to see you as hating their workers getting paid livable wages

You don't have to do it just because everyone else is doing it.

Would you jump off of a bridge just because you saw someone else do it? Well, would you?!?

Don't do it, Isalexi! ;)

Amelia

Former Staff
Jun 2014
Wisconsin

Give me a break!

I explain what I think someone else's assumption was and you're off to the races condemning me for an attitude I do not hold. Again.

Jul 2014
Border Fence
Oh, is that it? Sort of like taking the political position of being a fan of a particular movie, or not?

Reminds me of grade-school kids fussing over whether Batman is cooler than Superman. I think that it is a misconception that "Democrats love to hate Walmart". Certainly, some folks don't care much for the way that Walmart stores displace local merchants, but that's more regional than partisan, I suspect. I know plenty of Democrats who work for Walmart. If they hated them, then they'd probably choose to work elsewhere, don't you think?
Most of the creators of these types of threads act like 12 year olds.

Reactions: 1 person