Why is it your pet's healthcare so much more affordable than yours?

Nov 2011
Vets have a wide array of services and drugs and treatments for animals and, as a result, our pets get great healthcare at very reasonable prices. Why can't we? I would suggest 2 reasons.

1. Vets are in a "pay as you go" system that hasn't been corrupted by healthcare insurance.
2. Vets don't have the risk of multi-million or even billion dollar lawsuits of something goes wrong.
3. Regulation for the medical industry is geometrically more intense than it is for vets and so it's more costly to maintain compliance.

In other words, Insurance, TORT and Government Regulations.

Should there be a no-frills out-of-pocket pay-as-you go system with severely reduced TORT liability as a possible option/solution for healthcare?

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
Gosh. I don't think it's more affordable. I pay more for an exam fee for them than I do myself. And they can't talk - so they have to run more tests instead of being able to often go off symptoms that the patient can verbalize.

I guess hospital was less - 3K for 4 days. I haven't compared that to a people hospital bill for something similar to Parvo in a dog - IV fluids and antibiotics and such. No major Dr. time needed - techs could do everything....no x-rays or MRI's.........

Nov 2011
Gosh. I don't think it's more affordable. I pay more for an exam fee for them than I do myself. And they can't talk - so they have to run more tests instead of being able to often go off symptoms that the patient can verbalize.

I guess hospital was less - 3K for 4 days. I haven't compared that to a people hospital bill for something similar to Parvo in a dog - IV fluids and antibiotics and such. No major Dr. time needed - techs could do everything....no x-rays or MRI's.........
If you've got insurance, you might think Vet care is expensive. But the straight-up care for humans with a medical condition and/or hospitalization tends to be higher - often many times higher. Our pup just got his vaccines, worm pills, frontline treatment and complete checkup Friday and it was $79.00 including the lab work on his stool sample. That's when I thought, "Damn, wish it was that cheap for me to get basic healthcare treatment".

Dec 2010
Virginia
Vets have a wide array of services and drugs and treatments for animals and, as a result, our pets get great healthcare at very reasonable prices. Why can't we? I would suggest 2 reasons.

1. Vets are in a "pay as you go" system that hasn't been corrupted by healthcare insurance.
2. Vets don't have the risk of multi-million or even billion dollar lawsuits of something goes wrong.
3. Regulation for the medical industry is geometrically more intense than it is for vets and so it's more costly to maintain compliance.

Should there be a no-frills out-of-pocket pay-as-you go system with severely reduced TORT liability as a possible option/solution for healthcare?
Wow, you continue to show us all what you DON'T know. Healthcare for pets is far from the "affordable" state you claim it is. Pet care gets really expensive really fast...and that's why there is Pet Insurance, to pay for those bills. Yup, that's right pet insurance DOES EXIST and it's not uncommon for people to insure their pets. I have insurance on my cats precisely because pet care is hugely expensive. In return I get preventative care for them at low cost (or no cost) and they get a "wellness checkup- with shots, for free.

Jan 2012
NW Missouri
Perhaps my dogs should have their taxes raised...after all, they have it much better than many other dogs and they need to do their fair share to ensure the less fortunate dogs have a higher quality of life...

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
Wow, you continue to show us all what you DON'T know. Healthcare for pets is far from the "affordable" state you claim it is. Pet care gets really expensive really fast...and that's why there is Pet Insurance, to pay for those bills. Yup, that's right pet insurance DOES EXIST and it's not uncommon for people to insure their pets. I have insurance on my cats precisely because pet care is hugely expensive. In return I get preventative care for them at low cost (or no cost) and they get a "wellness checkup- with shots, for free.
Have you needed to make a claim? I am shopping for pet insurance and I want to hear from people who have made claims - that's when you find out if the company is any good.

I had VPI on my dog and it never covered anything.

she had colitis and kennel cough. There was a $78 e-vet charge, and then lab work and meds for both conditions. The said something about each one not reaching the amount where the insurance kicked in, but the total was high.

I think Pet insurance is a MUST. Who wants to shell out 5K or more for a bad accident/illness or face putting the pet down because they don't have that kind of cash?

Not me.

I had to with Piddy b/c she had no insurance and I read that insurance doesn't cover preventable things like Parvo.

Even if they did, she had it when I got her. No way would insurance cover it :-(

Nov 2011
Bullshit. We had a basset hound that required major surgery to remove a sock the stupid bastard swallowed and got lodged in his intestine. The bill was 2500.00. You go ahead and see what it would cost to get your stomach cut open to get something removed from your bowels and then get back to me with your crap about how I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about. I didn't say it was cheap. It's just cheap compared to human healthcare. If you really want to run your mouth about this, run your mouth with facts and figures that prove I'm incorrect instead of just trying to argue that the existence of pet healthcare means that it's just as expensive as human healthcare. Not only is that wrong. It's an illogical argument.

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
Bullshit. We had a basset hound that required major surgery to remove a sock the stupid bastard swallowed and got lodged in his intestine. The bill was 2500.00. You go ahead and see what it would cost to get your stomach cut open to get something removed from your bowels and then get back to me with your crap about how I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about. I didn't say it was cheap. It's just cheap compared to human healthcare. If you really want to run your mouth about this, run your mouth with facts and figures that prove I'm incorrect instead of just trying to argue that the existence of pet healthcare means that it's just as expensive as human healthcare. Not only is that wrong. It's an illogical argument.
I think some of it is and some of it isn't. In college, a cat got chewed up by a car and had to have surgery to repair her.....stomach? I don't remember - but it was major, under the knife. And under 1K, so yes that is cheaper than similar surgery for human.

But other things - I paid 1K per day for hospitalization with no procedures. Just fluids, bags of something for blood protein, and antibiotics/anti-nausea meds.

That isn't cheap.

I am pretty sure I paid about the same per day for myself in the hosp. for MRSA.

Sort of similar treatment - I was hooked up to IV with 4 different antibiotics or something. And saline. anti-nausea meds, pain meds.............

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119

You been to a vet lately?

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
Bullshit. We had a basset hound that required major surgery to remove a sock the stupid bastard swallowed andto ot lodged in his intestine. The bill was 2500.00. You go ahead and see what it would cost to get your stomach cut open to get something removed from your bowels and then get back to me with your crap about how I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about. I didn't say it was cheap. It's just cheap compared to human healthcare. If you really want to run your mouth about this, run your mouth with facts and figures that prove I'm incorrect instead of just trying to argue that the existence of pet healthcare means that it's just as expensive as human healthcare. Not only is that wrong. It's an illogical argument.
So you want to have a bowel resection in the exam room at your Family physicians clinic and have some on the job trained tech cover you post-op for an hour before sending you home where your oldest kid can then take over.

However, the OP is not without merit. If you make it illegal to provide or acquire any form of health insurance forcing individuals to pay as they consume yeah, you bet health care costs would come down. But US , life expectancy would go down and overall mortality would go up. I believe that is the Republican goal, healthcare and education only for the wealthy.

Last edited: