Why is Judicial Watch helping Trump hide HIS tax returns?

May 2019
midwest
The issue involves federal tax returns and also privacy. The constitution also prohibits unreasonable search and seizure. The states can’t require the federal government to make tax returns public so what the states would be doing would be requiring a candidate to surrender their own personal property to their specific state in order to be a candidate for the federal office president of the US.

It will ultimately be up to the SCOTUS and since it is a known fact that democrats are seeking possession of Trump’s personal returns for partisan reasons, that would make it an “unreasonable” search. My thinking is that if a lower court ruled in favor of Trump, there is a chance that the SCOTUS may pass on the case. It just seems like an inherently in-American thing to make a candidate submit to an unreasonable search by individual states in order to run for federal office.
... a known fact. ... Do you have a source for that. As to the rest, I'm sure you've misread reply #144.
:cool:

Jul 2019
Atlanta
I am sure you understand the concept that the filing requirements must be reasonable and not an invasion of privacy. You would obviously agree that there are some things that it would not be reasonable to require. Also, if it is determined by the courts that it is partisan harassment, then that won’t fly in court.

There is no law or precedent that says that releasing private tax returns is a requirement to run for federal office. The fact that Democrats want to use his tax information to hurt Trump politically is not going to work in their favor.
How on earth could they hurt Trump?
Federal office means federal qualifications. And they read President need only be a natural-born citizen, 35 years old, and have lived in the United States for 14 years.
True, but states can set filing criteria..

Jan 2019
southeast
Of course, but what does that have to do with filing to be put on the ballot? That would NOT supersede the rules that he/she must be 35, a natural born US citizen and have lived in the US 14 years.
No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States