Why is Trump asking Russia for advice?

Jan 2016
Colorado
this is not like pearl harbor, or like wwii, obviously. i mean, if you support the incursion into afghanistan, which was done because the taliban refused to extradite bin laden and so the US government decided to wage a war of aggression on the country, you and i are definitely on different sides, and personally, i think you tacitly endorse everything that happened after. the war of aggression in iraq would never have happened if it hadn't been for the war of aggression in afghanistan, and the subsequent mass bloodlettings in syria and libya under obama would never have happened without the precedent of iraq and afghanistan.
The "war of aggression in Iraq" never made any sense whatsoever, not in any way, shape, manner, or form, because Iraq had exactly NOTHING to do with 9/11, quite unlike Afghanistan. It was our blundering invasion of Iraq that kicked over the hornets' nest in the Middle East, and triggered a much broader Sunni/Shi'ite conflict across the length and breadth of the entire region. Had we FOCUSED on Afghanistan...…..but NO.....we didn't.

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Where'm I At, Doe?
The "war of aggression in Iraq" never made any sense whatsoever, not in any way, shape, manner, or form, because Iraq had exactly NOTHING to do with 9/11, quite unlike Afghanistan. It was our blundering invasion of Iraq that kicked over the hornets' nest in the Middle East, and triggered a much broader Sunni/Shi'ite conflict across the length and breadth of the entire region. Had we FOCUSED on Afghanistan...…..but NO.....we didn't.
i dunno, man, i like you, but i think you're missing a bit of the larger plot here. they were never going to "focus on afghanistan." getting military primacy over the entire middle-east region was always the point.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
The actual topic? Sorry, the dishonest topic!

Did you not even see it? Cripes.

The article says, "Maybe he was listening" and the op concludes, "Why listen to Russia".

The tweet in the article, "The left is rooting for Trump to fail with North Korea. Their hatred of the president is psychotic" pretty much says it all.
Not dishonest at all

Russia: US asks for advice on North Korea talks

Jan 2016
Colorado
i dunno, man, i like you, but i think you're missing a bit of the larger plot here. they were never going to "focus on afghanistan." getting military primacy over the entire middle-east region was always the point.
Well, maybe it was for Cowboy George and Big Bad Dick and all the other members of his Gang, all the neo-conservatives. But that's what I'm telling you. I was NEVER one of them. Those folks......or at least their FOLLOWERS......were calling ME a traitor and a terrorist-lover back then, because I was arguing so vehemently against their STUPID invasion of Iraq.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
It's like Putin has a Dear Abby style advice column and Trump is naively seeking clarity.

Dear Vlad,

So, I'm the 70 plus year old leader of the free world and I have a, oh let's call it a "thing", for a certain low level murderous dictator who, quite frankly, has been given a raw deal by world leaders of the past. I'd like to go on meeting him in far off exotic locales, eating things like molten lava cake and maybe a cheeseburger, but I feel I'm getting nowhere. I'm willing to cancel all sorts of our military commitments but he doesn't seem like he *really* wants to get rid of his nuclear capabilities. The local enemies of the people back home keep saying he's effortlessly manipulating me but I never believe them. Could he be stringing me along?

Signed,

Wondering in Washington D.C.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
That's why it's so important for some here to derail the conversation by going off topic.

The topic of this thread is not beneficial to the Party.
This topic was not posted on behalf of any particular party though.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Jan 2016
Colorado
do your thing, man. this whole "oops i killed another innocent teenager" thing among pro-war people doesn't sit well with me, but my opinion isn't for shit. you guys went off and did it without me, and you did it over my objections. you can live with it on your own.
I am NOT 'pro-war'. I was TOTALLY against our invasion of Iraq in 2003, remember? I was called a TRAITOR because of my fierce opposition to that clusterfuck, which I saw coming ahead of time. On the other hand, I actually believe America does have the right to defend itself against terrorists, and apparently you disagree with that.

Unless you clarify your position, I am going to assume that you favor surrendering to them.

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
Why?

Shall we look at the obvious answer? The one with a 30 year pattern of evidence?

Despite the fact that Trump is now a politician, in his heart of hearts, he is still the guy who is trying to pull off the unlikely deal.

Someday, some way, he is going to build Trump Tower Moscow.

This means seeming to curry favor with his potential customers.

He did the same thing with the Mob in Vegas and new York, but please note, he never become a mobster.

So currying favor does not mean he is now Putin's bitch.

There is a huge amount of data to support this interpretation and very little to suggest that Trump will sacrifice the United States to make a sale.

But keep on salivating and in the meantime, google "Trump's ambitions to sell real estate in Russia" with an emphasis on dates that precede his election.

Because after that date the fevered, Resistance powered press has been trying to "get Trump" with lies and distortions.

And even though this article spins Trump's entrepreneurial ambitions into something sinister, this pull quote establishes the reason, the "why" of the OP.

Vladimir Putin Has a Plan for Destroying the West—and It Looks a Lot Like Donald Trump

Donald Trump’s interest in Russia dates back to Soviet times. In fact, there’s extraordinary footage of him shaking hands with Mikhail Gorbachev. It comes from 1988, the peak of perestroika and Gorbachev’s efforts to charm the American public. On his legendary trip to Washington and New York, the Soviet in chief left the confines of his limousine and security cordon to glad-hand with the American people. Donald Trump suggested to reporters that the Soviet leader would be making his way to Trump Tower, a crucial station on his journey to capitalism. This was, in fact, a self-aggrandizing fabrication that Trump himself planted in the tabloids, but it was a convincing lie. A year earlier, Trump had traveled to Russia at the invitation of the Soviets. They wanted Trump to develop luxury hotels in Moscow and Leningrad to feed the regime’s new appetite for Western business. “The idea of building two monuments in the U.S.S.R. has captured his imagination,” Newsweek reported.

Last edited: