Why so many babies are getting their tongues clipped

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Another crazy online trend...

It’s uttered in hushed tones during mommy-and-me yoga classes and at Montessori-school drop-offs, discussed ad nauseam in breastfeeding support groups and on parenting message boards.

It’s called tongue tie, and it’s everywhere. In online mom groups, it’s blamed for all sorts of parenting woes. Baby isn’t gaining weight, or won’t take a bottle? Have you tried checking for ties? Kid won’t nap? It’s probably related to tongue tie. Baby have a rash? Check under the tongue!

Tongue tie, or ankyloglossia, is characterized by an overly tight lingual frenulum, the cord of tissue that anchors the tongue to the bottom of the mouth. But the tongue-tie madness in pediatricians’ offices, lactation rooms, and online groups have some researchers wondering whether people are all twisted up over nothing. The procedure, called a frenotomy, frenulotomy, or tongue-tie revision, is a relatively straightforward one. A doctor or dentist holds holds the baby’s tongue taut toward the roof of his mouth and cuts the lingual frenulum to “release” it, usually with a laser or sterile scissors. This allows for greater range of motion for the tongue, provided the frenulum doesn’t reattach.

While the popularity of frenotomies has exploded in recent years, many medical professionals and researchers say it’s not totally clear whether they address the issues they’re supposed to—or whether a lot of babies are having an unnecessary procedure. The frenulum frenzy is in large part attributable to the recent renewed emphasis on breastfeeding. “We’re seeing [tongue-tie diagnoses and revisions] more now because of the stress women are putting on themselves to breastfeed,” says Adva Buzi, an attending physician in the division of otolaryngology at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP).

Research from 2007 suggests that only 10 percent of pediatricians think tongue ties affect breastfeeding, compared with 30 percent of ENTs and nearly 70 percent of lactation consultants. So new parents might be left with very different impressions of the seriousness of their baby’s tongue tie, depending on whom they’re getting their advice from.

Do Tongue Ties Really Cause Breastfeeding Problems? - The Atlantic

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
I remember this came up in a discussion between my wife and a few friends a few years back when our children were much smaller.

It's important to note that the 2 women who suggested this to my wife we're a few tools short of a tool shed already.

We talk a lot about the difference between responsibility and fault with regard to parents. This is both.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I remember this came up in a discussion between my wife and a few friends a few years back when our children were much smaller.

It's important to note that the 2 women who suggested this to my wife we're a few tools short of a tool shed already.

We talk a lot about the difference between responsibility and fault with regard to parents. This is both.
I just dont get it, I know a few newer moms and they are all into these weirdo groups that tell them to do this stuff. Anti vax stuff too. They are all into these "mommy and me" type groups where they spread this stuff. I just heard one the other day talking about "a new comfortable way to give birth." Yea right.