Why so many different versions of the Bible?

Oct 2014
Galaxy ZRF
When people hear there are over 50 different versions of the Bible in English alone, they often think to themselves, "No wonder there are many denominations each teaching different things, there are many different versions of the Bible." This view, however, is wrong. Yes there are many denominations, but don't blame that on the fact there are many versions of the Bible. There is one Bible...a lot more in link.

Why Are There Different Versions Of The Bible???

This is a question I actually want an answer to. I’ll do my best to refrain from my usual attitude on this subject.
With so many variations of the same story, plus all of the books that were once part of the Bible but have been long omitted, how can one come to any sort of logical conclusion as to which one...if any...are what was originally intended?

Dec 2014
Opal mining
Almost all versions contain inaccuracies in translation and most do not supply adequate notes etc. The KJV is the most popular, but it was written in Shakespearean English, therefore it is not easily understood by a modern audience. I find the Jerusalem Bible to be the most scholarly of all, however, it is often hated by the protestant cliques, for it was penned by a huge number of Catholic scholars (therefore it contains the Apocrypha), and the old hatred between the two still exists on some levels.

I have translated the Book of Genesis from Jerome's Vulgate into English from the Latin, and in the albeit small class, we each came up with a different version of the text. It was a fascinating experiment in the failings of multiple translations.

Oct 2014
Galaxy ZRF
Almost all versions contain inaccuracies in translation and most do not supply adequate notes etc. The KJV is the most popular, but it was written in Shakespearean English, therefore it is not easily understood by a modern audience. I find the Jerusalem Bible to be the most scholarly of all, however, it is often hated by the protestant cliques, for it was penned by a huge number of Catholic scholars (therefore it contains the Apocrypha), and the old hatred between the two still exists on some levels.

I have translated the Book of Genesis from Jerome's Vulgate into English from the Latin, and in the albeit small class, we each came up with a different version of the text. It was a fascinating experiment in the failings of multiple translations.
Very interesting indeed. I once had a Catholic bible and actually liked it better than other versions.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio

I like the KJV because the newer ones translate so many words that do not match.

But I also understand the whole book was written by many men over a long period of times, translated often.

So I can not take it literally as truth as so many do. I think of it as a kind of guide line to try and live.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I prefer the original. Or, in translation, a Jewish translation directly from the Hebrew into a given language. A translation of a translation can have too many problems that are only solved by knowing all three languages - at which point you do not need the intermediate translation.

Nov 2008
Washington state
When people hear there are over 50 different versions of the Bible in English alone, they often think to themselves, "No wonder there are many denominations each teaching different things, there are many different versions of the Bible." This view, however, is wrong. Yes there are many denominations, but don't blame that on the fact there are many versions of the Bible. There is one Bible...a lot more in link.

Why Are There Different Versions Of The Bible???

This is a question I actually want an answer to. I’ll do my best to refrain from my usual attitude on this subject.
With so many variations of the same story, plus all of the books that were once part of the Bible but have been long omitted, how can one come to any sort of logical conclusion as to which one...if any...are what was originally intended?
A different version of the Bible has nothing to do with Denominations, it has to do with being an accurate translation of the original Greek (New Testament) and Hebrew (Old Testament). Some Versions like the New Living Translation is in modern English so its easier to understand. The Old King James 1611 was the first widely distributed English Bible in Old English and considered pretty accurate. Problem is its Old English and not easy to understand.
Not sure what you are talking about many variations of the same story, but many of the same stories are told in many of the different books , so the story can be clarified if examined correctly along with Dictionaries, Concordances , Commentaries and various versions of the Bible

Apr 2012
East coast USA
Who really cares ?
The bible is just one religious book.
It is wriiten by men,just as all other religious writings are written by men.
Interesting is they were all written about the same time; the different cultures developed ability to write,; enough of a population taught to read the language it was written in.
Some cultures still don't have writing.
All man made religions are held locally to be held true.
Christanity has missionary's that travel the world trying to recruit members-
Is it a good thing ?
Not too many areas now that aren't held by a strong local religion.
Muslims nations will not tolerate any religion beside theirs in certain areas.
Hindus clash with muslims in India resulting in loads of folks killed, tensions run high.

Religion is man made and God is man made and one can only see it if look at big big picture.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
The Old King James 1611 was the first widely distributed English Bible in Old English and considered pretty accurate. Problem is its Old English and not easy to understand.
The KJV is not in Old English, which started morphing into Middle English as a result of the Norman Conquest in 1066 CE. Middle English dates from about 1150 to 1500 CE. Early Modern English dates from about then to the middle of the 17th century CE, which is when the KJV was written.