Why so many different versions of the Bible?

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Interesting fact about the King James translation, Christendom had no Hebrew speaking scholars to translate those Books, they had to hire Jewish Scholars to translate all of the Hebrew Books of the Old Testament
That is true - as far as it goes. However...

"[T]he translators used a text originating in the editions of the Hebrew Rabbinic Bible by Daniel Bomberg (1524/5), but adjusted this to conform to the Greek LXX or Latin Vulgate in passages to which Christian tradition had attached a Christological interpretation. For example, the Septuagint reading "They pierced my hands and my feet" was used in Psalm 22:16 (vs. the Masoretes' reading of the Hebrew "like lions my hands and feet")."

King James Version - Wikipedia

Thus, the KJV is not valid for use as a Jewish version of the Tanakh.

Jan 2007
Irrelevant
Interesting fact about the King James translation, Christendom had no Hebrew speaking scholars to translate those Books, they had to hire Jewish Scholars to translate all of the Hebrew Books of the Old Testament
The septuagint lxx is a greek translation of the old testament which was already in existence three centuries before christianity. This translation was undertaken by alexandrian hebrew scholars and is the accepted translation in first century palestine. Three and a half centuries after the birth of christ, st. jerome was commissioned to translate the bible from hebrew to latin.

The fact is, the king james bible was a translation from greek to english via the septuagint. And to add more facts, there existed in the early church, christian hebraist scholars. Neither the king james bible, nor the latin vulgate 'employed' any jewish scholar for the translation.

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
As a work of art and transformation impact, the KJV was a big success.

So big that many tried to deify the book.

It is a place to find God (as are many things) but it is not a deity.

God approaches every person through the challenges and moral choices that life brings.

When a screaming baby is getting to your last nerve and you breathe deeply and choose to love, you are letting God into your heart.

When you choose to be kind and choose to understand rather than bear false witness, you are letting God into your heart.

When you open your heart to another person and choose to be a friend or a spouse, you are letting God into your heart.

Even if you are a committed atheist, when you do these things, you are letting God into your heart.

Despite the noise and the fury of organized religion, God cares more about your heart than convincing you of proper dogma or being worshiped by you.

My evidence is the deep souls that choose to love and understand and be true. They are everywhere.

Jan 2007
Irrelevant
That is true - as far as it goes. However...

"[T]he translators used a text originating in the editions of the Hebrew Rabbinic Bible by Daniel Bomberg (1524/5), but adjusted this to conform to the Greek LXX or Latin Vulgate in passages to which Christian tradition had attached a Christological interpretation. For example, the Septuagint reading "They pierced my hands and my feet" was used in Psalm 22:16 (vs. the Masoretes' reading of the Hebrew "like lions my hands and feet")."

King James Version - Wikipedia

Thus, the KJV is not valid for use as a Jewish version of the Tanakh.
Neither is the kjv the official catholic translation.

In any case, the septuagint predates the masoretes by a millennium.