Why the WikiLeaks Attacks Were a Bust

Jun 2016
Gotham
Clinton didn’t suffer much from contextually challenged coverage like that in The Hill because Trump hogged most of the negative coverage for himself. A firm believer in the “no such thing as bad publicity” school, Trump chose to rail against those accusing him of sexual assault, thereby ensuring tons of stories about Trump.

But then there's this:

In failing to turn unvarnished internal political machinations into a paralyzing scandal, WikiLeaks may have inadvertently raised the bar on what constitutes a successful act of political cyberwar. If all an email hack accomplishes is the temporary embarrassment of some political aides and supersized serving of gossip for Washington cocktail parties, then the hack is hardly potent ammo.

The truth is, if we saw the raw email from the Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, Jeb Bush or Bernie Sanders campaigns we would surely see similar political calculations over tricky issues, deliberations how to quash negative media narratives and intemperate comments made about adversaries or even allies. (Whereas the Trump campaign emails are probably in their own category of insanity.) What we see in the Podesta emails is the grist of political life. It’s doesn’t make our politicians fundamentally dishonest or our democracy a sham.

Why the WikiLeaks Attack Fizzled | RealClearPolitics

So, in essence, Trump has only himself to blame for turning Putin's "bombshell" assist into a yawn-inducing bore. I don't know about you, but I can't wait for the release of the "good stuff."

I've been suffering terrible insomnia lately.

Reactions: 3 people
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I think another thing is that the alt right had already had this image of HRC out there as the anti Christ and was vocal about it, so these emails ended up being "yawn, wake me up when she eats a baby kind of thing." lol

Reactions: 9 people
Jun 2016
Gotham
I think another thing is that the alt right had already had this image of HRC out there as the anti Christ and was vocal about it, so these emails ended up being "yawn, wake me up when she eats a baby kind of thing." lol
You're right. If this had been a typical boring election, the American electorate might have been "shocked...shocked" to learn these sort of things were going on. But it doesn't even register on the radar thanks to all the bleeps already provided by Trump and his enablers.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
You're right. If this had been a typical boring election, the American electorate might have been "shocked...shocked" to learn these sort of things were going on. But it doesn't even register on the radar thanks to all the bleeps already provided by Trump and his enablers.
The only problem with this moving forward though, is that a year from now if the US is sucked into a war with Russia or the pharma prices go sky high, the Sanders people are going to reflect on those leaks and recall how his campaign was against those things and how he would have handled it differently. It could be a case of buyers remorse for some who had to settle on Clinton but really were in his camp. Of course WikiLeaks and GOPers will be "told you so." There could be a movement for drafting Sanders or a Warren in 2020 if HRC fails to make them happy.

Reactions: 1 person
Jun 2016
Gotham
The only problem with this moving forward though, is that a year from now if the US is sucked into a war with Russia or the pharma prices go sky high, the Sanders people are going to reflect on those leaks and recall how his campaign was against those things and how he would have handled it differently. It could be a case of buyers remorse for some who had to settle on Clinton but really were in his camp. Of course WikiLeaks and GOPers will be "told you so." There could be a movement for drafting Sanders or a Warren in 2020 if HRC fails to make them happy.
I already feel like I'm coming down with it. ;) I predict Bernie will be a gigantic thorn in Hillary's side once she takes office. I'm pretty sure he'd refuse any cabinet position that was offered to him.

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Where'm I At, Doe?
Isn't it a presumption among HRC supporters that the wikileaks releases regarding the HRC campaign are a hit job? I mean they may be, they may not be, but I know Wikileaks denies it. So it seems a bit silly to presume a hit job the alleged hitman is denying even doing, and then turning around and claiming that the hit job you're assuming the hitman is doing despite his denials isn't particularly effective. By your own evidence, isn't that a sign it's not a hitjob?

and how does that jibe with the idea that the leaks are so hideous and damaging they must be the result of a sinister, dictatorial putin trying to install Trump as a puppet by hook or crook? And with the idea that the leaks are forgeries? If they're forgeries, why didn't Putin invent better ones?

naw, all this back and forth reeks of a CYA push, imo. The HRC camp can't get their story straight. They're just throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I already feel like I'm coming down with it. ;) I predict Bernie will be a gigantic thorn in Hillary's side once she takes office. I'm pretty sure he'd refuse any cabinet position that was offered to him.
I am going to go out on a limb having talked to my right leaning and left leaning friends who "settled" for HRC and I will be predicting a showdown. The right leaners are going to expect her to appease them for their votes and be lenient on issues like guns and picking more moderate SC justices. The left leaners want her to go full blown left and move right in for things like UHC if they get the senate. They are going to dog her over issues like TPP and such as well. Its going to be hard for her since both sides are going to be watching every move she makes under a microscope. For the right, if she angers them they will give her a big senate loss in 2018 and if she angers the left, she will face backlash amongst senate votes (think trying to approve TPP) and a potential rival going against her and Kaine in 2020.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Isn't it a presumption among HRC supporters that the wikileaks releases regarding the HRC campaign are a hit job? I mean they may be, they may not be, but I know Wikileaks denies it. So it seems a bit silly to presume a hit job the alleged hitman is denying even doing, and then turning around and claiming that the hit job you're assuming the hitman is doing despite his denials isn't particularly effective. By your own evidence, isn't that a sign it's not a hitjob?

and how does that jibe with the idea that the leaks are so hideous and damaging they must be the result of a sinister, dictatorial putin trying to install Trump as a puppet by hook or crook? And with the idea that the leaks are forgeries? If they're forgeries, why didn't Putin invent better ones?

naw, all this back and forth reeks of a CYA push, imo. The HRC camp can't get their story straight. They're just throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks.
I watched a bit of MSM news this weekend over this and its a bit bipolar. On the one hand, if Russia is behind this and they want Trump because he is buddies with Putin, that means the US will likely become an ally of Russia instead of foe if he wins. Call him a puppet if you like. But on the other hand, a Clinton victory could mean a no fly zone in Syria which Putin claims mean war. So in an extreme sense its like do you want war or not? Bit freaky when you think about it.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
I do not agree with that. Working with Democratic Senators Bernie will see a chance to push many of his ideas through.IF, we get a Democratic Congress. Hillary has to remain Central to get elected. Bernie, Warren, Sherrod Brown, Chuck Schumer and others do not have that problem. They can reform the problems in the ACA and try to get a bill negotiating Drug prices through. And,that is just the beginning., much more needs to be done.

Reactions: 6 people
Jan 2014
California
But then there's this:

Why the WikiLeaks Attack Fizzled | RealClearPolitics

So, in essence, Trump has only himself to blame for turning Putin's "bombshell" assist into a yawn-inducing bore. I don't know about you, but I can't wait for the release of the "good stuff."

I've been suffering terrible insomnia lately.
Mr. Frank,

More like the rational people already knew the democrats are corrupt scum, whereas, the sycophantic liberals expect that of their politicians and rather than question what the email say, they turn to their handlers about how to respond. Basically, evidence of corruption and dishonesty changes nobody's mind.