"Why We Hate" Documentary

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Terrific series by Stephen Speilberg, etc. explores how hate created necessary survival behaviors in prehistoric humans, and the impact of the inherited "behaviors" on our society today.

[Media]

Streaming on Pluto and CBS Now. And elsewhere, for a fee.

Watch episode 2, "Tribalism", if not all the episodes.

Anyone else seen it? What did you think?

Reactions: The Man and Bad Bob
Dec 2018
the Heart of America
Terrific series by Stephen Speilberg, etc. explores how hate created necessary survival behaviors in prehistoric humans, and the impact on our society today.

[Media]

Streaming on Pluto and CBS Now. And elsewhere, for a fee.

Watch episode 2, "Tribalism", if not all the episodes.

Anyone else seen it? What did you think?
Looks interesting and am set up to record the series now through Directv.

Xenophobia is a survival trait in a world without medical facilities outside of the tribal witch doctor. Notice how animals are often afraid of something unknown.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
Watching the first episode. Great opening question "You can have a legal understanding of the evidence, of the facts, but there is always that human question of why did they do it? How could they do it?"

Awesome revelation in the story of Megan Phelps-Roper and (((Jewlicious)))

Quote: "The cool thing about the human brain is that fundamentally it's a changeable system". IMO, a very important point after showing how much people are like animals in our emotions and reactions to others.

"We can summon the better angels of our behavior"

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
Watching second episode. Interesting research on how much of our political views and susceptibility to outside influence, especially media influence, is genetic.

This is backed up by other sources:
1572845627208.png

Runs in the Family

Prior studies of political beliefs within families have indicated that people’s political attitudes are partly genetic. And researchers are particularly interested in a gene called DRD4, which carries the genetic code for a dopamine receptor.

Dopamine is a neurotransmitter, a chemical your brain uses to send signals between nerves. It plays a role in things like predicting possible rewards, learning about punishments, and making decisions about risky behavior. Previous studies have found links between DRD4 and attitudes toward financial risk.

An earlier study on young adults in the U.S. found that variations in the DRD4 gene were linked to a person’s political views, but only in limited circumstances. “It requires a context in which people are exposed to certain social environments,” said psychologist Richard P. Ebstein. In the U.S., the number of friends a person had was an important factor. The new study aimed to examine the link in a different political context, in Singapore.

Political Gene
Ebstein and his colleagues recruited 1771 Han Chinese students for the study. Each student donated blood or saliva, from which the researchers obtained DNA, and completed a questionnaire about personality traits and political views.

The researchers found a strong link between the DRD4 gene and the students’ political orientations. Specifically, the determining factor was one section of the DRD4 gene, where a sequence of 48 letters in the genetic code repeats between two and eleven times. Study participants mostly had either two (2R) or four (4R) repeats. People with two copies of the 4R version of the gene were significantly more conservative than people with any other combination.

Reactions: labrea and Madeline
Sep 2016
My own world
Bad Bob I find this very had to believe. Are you sure this isn't a joke?

Just as I thought, the site is a joke.

Reasoning: Lack of Transparency, Poor Sourcing

History

DiscoveryTheWord.com is a website that posts science news. Although there is an about page, there isn’t any information on who owns or edits this website, however a domain search reveals it was purchased in 2016.

Funded by / Ownership

The website does not disclose ownership and revenue is derived from advertising.

The Pew Research source is a better source but the study itself realizes that it could be very flawed in terms of it's conclusions. From the link:

Two cautions: The authors note the MTR sample of twins is not representative of the country as a whole—“it is middle-aged, overwhelmingly white, and geographically concentrated in the Midwest,” they write. And when it comes to political attitudes, genes are not destiny. Upbringing and unique factors and experiences interact with genes or combinations of genes to shape whether someone is a political liberal or conservative, votes in every election or isn’t registered to vote, or supports Obamacare or the Tea Party.

Last edited:
Reactions: labrea
Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic

History

DiscoveryTheWord.com is a website that posts science news. Although there is an about page, there isn’t any information on who owns or edits this website, however a domain search reveals it was purchased in 2016.

Funded by / Ownership

The website does not disclose ownership and revenue is derived from advertising.
The article is from Discover Magazine, a well known popular science magazine published by Kalmbach Media. The info you post above is referring to a completely unrelated website.

Either way, the idea that political views are influenced by genetic factors does not rest on this one study, it's well-established. But what's most interesting is that it's not true of all political ideas. Some show no heritability at all, others are strongly heritable.

The reasons behind this are not clear, but it is interesting that some of the issues which do show the strongest genetic influence (views on abortion and immigration) are also among the biggest talking points in US party politics.

Reactions: Madeline
Dec 2018
the Heart of America
Bad Bob I find this very had to believe. Are you sure this isn't a joke?

Just as I thought, the site is a joke.

History

Funded by / Ownership

The Pew Research source is a better source but the study itself realizes that it could be very flawed in terms of it's conclusions. From the link:

Two cautions: The authors note the MTR sample of twins is not representative of the country as a whole—“it is middle-aged, overwhelmingly white, and geographically concentrated in the Midwest,” they write. And when it comes to political attitudes, genes are not destiny. Upbringing and unique factors and experiences interact with genes or combinations of genes to shape whether someone is a political liberal or conservative, votes in every election or isn’t registered to vote, or supports Obamacare or the Tea Party.
I from what I've read and heard, there are some fundamental genetics involved in being more liberal or more conservative. As noted repeatedly in other threads, we're all 99.5-99.9% identical genetically. The differences are both subtle and subject to cultural influences.

Reactions: Madeline
May 2012
By the wall
Read a recent study how hate is normal and productive and how an individual should always have around three people they hate.

The study said that those who do not hate anyone have some mental issues that need to be addressed and are acting outside of what is considered normal. The study also said it's important to frequently change those who we hate as hating one person for a long period of time is also unhealthy.

I will see if I can locate the study and link it up.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
Read a recent study how hate is normal and productive and how an individual should always have around three people they hate.

The study said that those who do not hate anyone have some mental issues that need to be addressed and are acting outside of what is considered normal. The study also said it's important to frequently change those who we hate as hating one person for a long period of time is also unhealthy.

Awesome. But I won’t hold my breath waiting for you to come up with that study. :)

Oct 2019
Earth

Emotions have a purpose. When you are face to face with a bear, that fear is normal and typically gives the best chance at survival.

Anger, anticipation, all of it happens for a reason.